Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R Awards 2022

Options
  • 15-12-2022 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

Could someone please step up to the plate & organise the A/R Awards this year, I haven’t been around here enough in 2022 to do the job justice. It’s always a bit of fun & would be a shame not to see them being organised. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Here we go. I've just looked over last years to see how it's done and the questions! Pop your suggestions in the comments below and then we can set up a poll for each of the categories. If you want you can also PM me your nominations but it would be best to put them down below so that you can jog peoples memories....

1. Poster of the Year.
    2. Log of the Year.
    3. Thread of the Year.
    4. Newcomer of the Year.
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year.
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    8. Post of the Year.
    9. Comeback Person of the Year.
    10. Performance of the Year.

Last year also had a Hall of Fame poster, so we can add that as well. Also for a bit of debate - what do you think of adding Shoe of the year?

It looks like @Murph_D did polls last year so I'll find out how to do that and set them up once we get the nominations in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

1. Poster of the Year. I'll only include my nomination here for fear of insulting others. Lazare gets vote here. It was a close call but him taking on the novices post marathon swung it for me.
    2. Log of the Year. Close call again as always. I was torn between two here but MurphD gets the nod for me. I was particularly interested in the Lydiard approach and it all culminated in a very satisfying Chicago result. A great read all year, great writing style and a happy conclusion which was very satisfying as a close follower
    3. Thread of the Year. I'm sure there were better ones but the shoes thread usually piques my interest any time there's a new post.
    4. Newcomer of the Year. Need some help here.
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year. This was a toughie. Squinn is a clear frontrunner here but I have to go with kellygirl who absolutely battered her pbs this year. The DCM marathon result was particularly significant.
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual). Need some help here. There was a definite standout from AMK but can't recall which one.
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual). Great Limerick Run for me. My debut marathon and the biggest race I did all year.
    8. Post of the Year. Need some help here.
    9. Comeback Person of the Year. There were a few comebacks but they disappeared again. The most deserving here in my mind is skyblue . Such patience and then a brilliant Jingle Bells. Great to see.
    10. Performance of the Year. There were a few! Dubh Geananns spectacular mile was a clear frontrunner. Kellygirls , squinns and Lambays DCM. Laineys sub 20 5k. AMKs and skyblues Jingle Bells. Probably several others that I have forgotten. Regardless there's only one clear winner for me and that's Murphs Chicago marathon. Years and years of dedication and commitment brought that result.

Hall of fame : Enduro keeps getting my vote til he wins it.

Shoe of the year: I dunno if there were any standout new shoes. I didnt really invest in new revisions.Endorphin Pro is still my all-rounder all time favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I still dip in and out of here but will need to look back on a few threads/posts to check but there are some easy ones for me

1. Poster of the Year. Will come back on this.
    2. Log of the Year. There are a few I have on alert but one I read religiously is MurphD's. Apart from his writing style (those race reports!!), I love the analysis of his training and the work he puts in. The fact that he's still improving says it all really.
    3. Thread of the Year. I'll have to think about this one.
    4. Newcomer of the Year. I didn't follow the DCM thread this year so don't really know too many of the newer posters
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year. Kellygirl is getting my vote here, she has put in the work on multiple levels and improved across the board in the last 6+ months. Huge congrats to her (as well as being very envious!!)
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual). Swashbuckler is getting my vote for his report on the Limerick marathon. There is some competition with MurphD for Chicago and some of AMK's are brilliant too but this wins for me hands down. A report worthy of the hard earned result.
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual).n/a
    8. Post of the Year. Will come back to this but there was a post by AMK where he may have added stuff in for the win, can someone direct me? I don't see to be able to search by log (I hate the new boards!)
    9. Comeback Person of the Year. Skyblue for me, delighted to see him back running regularly
    10. Performance of the Year. This is a tossup between Kellygirl, Swashbucker and MurphD, it's going to MurphD for Chicago 2022 simply because he achieved something he's been chasing for a good number of years, he never gave up and executed both training and event excellently

Here are my own ones

Poster of the Year.

For me this goes jointly to Lainey, Murph_D and Lambay Island for the Novices

Thread Log of the Year.

Some quality logs there, always enjoyed Murpgh_D's, Lainey, AMK and Swashbucklers Marathon Debut was brilliant

Thread of the Year.

All about the shoes in Gear and Equipment, it both cost me and saved me a fortune

Newcomer of the Year.

Don't know actually, I'll come back to it

Most Improved Runner of the Year.

Wottle had a great year, as did lazaire, Kelly Girl, Lainey, Event and Murph_D. I'd go with Kelly girl too

Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual).

Murph_D for Chicago as well

Race of the Year(Real or Virtual).

For me, it was FD HM. Generally it seemed Jingle Bells seems to go very well for lots of people

Post of the Year.

I'll come back to it

Comeback Person of the Year.

Definitely SkyBlue, patience is key

Performance of the Year.

Py in comrades

Shoe of the year

Endorphin Pro for me followed very closely by the Speed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant nominees so far. All very very deserving, some of the categories are going to be very hard to vote on.

I just have a couple of ones that I don't see already mentioned.

Comeback of the year: I'd like to nominate @Mr. Guappa - I think in a similar fashion to @skyblue46 he's shown great patience and consistency to finish out the year with a couple of super performances most notably in the Waterford HM, a very well deserved return for the patient approach taken to setback after setback.

Hall of Fame: it's a sad one, but I'd like to nominate @TFBubendorfer 😓 for all he contributed down through the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+ 1 to Thomas for the Hall of Fame, I was considering nominating the Remembering Our Friend thread as thread of the year but it seemed to sad. Having said that, there are some lovely posts in there and it shows how well liked he was by absolutely everyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'd love to answer each nomination individually but I've not really been on all that much due to running a lot less in 2022, particularly the 1st half.

But a few from me, agree with nominating Bubendorfer for hall of fame, the memories thread had all that was required to justify that one.

Thread of the year for me was also the Shoes bargain alerts thread. Despite low mileage I bought 3 pairs of shoes cos of this thread!

Finally, favourite race report was Lambays Limerick Report in May. It was a gripping read of a race that didn't go to plan.

Post edited by crisco10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Poster of the Year

@Murph_D offers a huge amount of advice across the forums/sub-forums. Drives discussions across various topics.

Log of the Year

I don't read every log but always enjoy @Laineyfrecks log. No BS and always finds a good balance between running and life (loves a good concert!).

Thread of the Year

DCM Novices thread. It was mentored superbly by @Laineyfrecks , @Murph_D & @Lambay island Fantastic to have this back after a couple of years break. Plenty of graduates still going strong. This is what gives new life to the community. In a close 2nd place was "Needing a No.2 toilet break on a run causing race day anxiety".

Newcomer of the Year

Need to come back to this... Is it based on performance or community contribution or both?

Most Improved Runner of the Year

Great strides forward from @Kellygirl More PBs to come.

Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual)

@Murph_D Chicago race report, stellar. 2nd place goes to @Dublinlad1989 for his debut at DCM.

Race of the Year(Real or Virtual)

Lap of the Gap - I don't think many from here took part but it was well organised, very challenging with stunning views. No fancy expos or online tracking. 42.2Km of road in the hilly Garden of Ireland. Highly recommended.

Post of the Year

This from @TFBubendorfer

Comeback Person of the Year

@Mr. Guappa has been through the mill with injuries. Some very strong PB performances in the past few months. Great to see the log and Strava activities flowing once again.

Performance of the Year

@Murph_D Chicago Marathon

Hall of Fame

@TFBubendorfer

The autumn marathons really got this place going again. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Couple of random ones that I didn't see nominated yet:

Poster: @Swashbuckler - he's up for Log and Race Report, may as well give him the chance to claim a hat-trick!

Thread: The Marathon Improvers thread - this thread was on fire in the month or two before Dublin, and a thread I took a lot from as I plan for next year.

Newcomer: Not sure if either/both have been around longer, or in different guises, but @squinn2912 & @babacool popped up on my radar this year for the first time.

Most Improved: @racersedge made huge strides and smashed his PB's at various distances.

Race of the Year: Dublin Marathon for me - saw it from the other side of the fence this year, and it's just a great experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When does the nomination process end? I'm finding it hard to think beyond the usual suspects this year - wish more people would get involved in the memory jogging process. (Very honoured by those mentions so far, btw, cheers.)

Poster of the Year

The premium award. Some good shouts so far. @swashbuckler has to be on the list alright - has taken over from B as the heart and soul of the forum, if you ask me.

Log of the Year

I haven't been paying as much attention to the logs this year. @AuldManKing gets a lot of deserved traction. There are a lot of good loggers bubbling under the big ones, and one of my favourites is @Dubh Geannain's. But the one that got everyone's attention this year was Swashbucklers Marathon Debut.

Thread of the Year

I agree that 'Remembering TFBubendorfer' is the one - in memorialising Thomas it demonstrated one of the best things about this forum, a space for runners to appreciate the sport and our fellow runners, especially when we lose them. I still feel bad that I never spoke to TFB, because you never know when it might be too late.

Newcomer of the Year

The Marathon Novice thread always produces some new blood and for me the standout novice, from a performance POV, was @AntrimGlens - but unfortunately he hasn't been heard of much since. Is @babacool a newcomer? I think so, definitely one for the list.

Most Improved Runner of the Year

@Kellygirl would be my choice too, but in the interests of having a shortlist there are other candidates. @marathon2022 has done some good things.

Race Report of the Year

What makes a great race report? It doesn't have to be a great performance, but it has to be an authentic account and reveal something about the runner and what makes them tick. Again, Swashbuckler's Limerick was such a great read, really got to the heart of a gritty, sub-3 debut. Exemplary!

Race of the Year

I'm going for the John Treacy Dungarvan 10 mile. Quality field, great course.

Post of the Year

This one gave me a good laugh, although I still don't know what it was 'heavily plagiarised' from.

Comeback Person of the Year

@skyblue46 is definitely in the driver's seat here. Are there ay others? Too many false dawns in this area! Not nominating him this year but I'm hoping @Wubble Wubble will be top of the list next year.

Performance of the Year.

What makes a great performance? Guts, determination, triumph over adversity. @Swashbuckler's marathon debut is a standout. But there are others. @Laineyfrecks sub-20 breakthrough at the Leixlip 5k was brilliant - she really smashed it after a good few disappointing attempts, a testament to her persistence and courage. Wottle's Valencia was also a highlight - a standout as it was obvious how much he learned from Amsterdam's difficulties - especially the bit about not tearing off from the gun!

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I can’t really contribute that much here. Probably to everyone’s surprise (muaahahahhahahahah those who really know me it wouldn’t be a surprise at all), I’m not a big fan of awards. Usually leaves more “disappointed” than happy 😁 as it usually comes down to “who has more friends/followers or is a favourite in general”.

Which also means “don’t give me any votes please” 😂 (yes, I am a newcomer. I wouldn’t just post under different names!).

all in all, here is what I can contribute:

1. performance of the year: @Laineyfrecks anyone who can name my home race the race of the year, deserves the award 😁
    2. Thread of the year: I have to admit that most recent BS thread about kipchoge doping has to win it. Such a brilliant read when it came to bedtime. A fairy tale that no other writer can outperform.
    3. training log: @squinn2912 has to get it. His passion talking about cows and running is unbeatable
    4. Comeback of the year: no clue. Sorry. Tough to really judge that and have it really based on something that is fair.
    5. race of the year: have to go with someone probably not that well known: Great Grocer 5k! Race itself is a race. Flat fast 5k. But the goodie bag and the whole event - haven’t seen anything like it in Ireland! Great race!
    6. shoe if the year: again something probably no one else has on his/her radar: hoka supersonic! A brilliant shoe that (to me anyways) outperforms any carbon shoe that I have tested and used!

@Murph_D I'll look to wrap it up today and put the polls in place otherwise I'll be away from the laptop which I expect would make the admin more difficult.

Thanks for the suggestions above

A few more last minute additions from me.

Crisco10 deserved a nomination for comeback of the Year. Incredible to be fair after what he has been through. Also deserves a nomination for performance of the Year running 19.10 5k.

The DCM novices thread deserves a nomination for thread of the Year for the sheer amount of effort and good will that goes into it. Marathon improvers thread was good.

I never quite know who is a newbie versus a lurker who's been around for yonks. If marathon2022 is new then he gets my vote as he has made an effort throughout the thread.

There are a bunch of performances we are all missing here. Would be great if we could get some reminders. Especially earlier in the year.

Separately, lazare gets my vote for high five of the Year. Lainey gets the "talk to the hand I'm in the zone" award. AMK gets the "trying to kill off swashbuckler" award. Lambay gets the most impressive cramp of 2022 award. Anybody have any more razzies in mind?

Would be great if folks could get either nominations or votes in on this thread

Good call on Crisco10 @Swashbuckler I had forgotten until you mentioned it, in fairness it's a serious comeback considering everything that happen to him and to be able to get at 19.10 at the end of the year, bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Poster of the Year - Swashbuckler (pretty obvious, right?)

Log of the Year - Swashbuckler's Marathon Debut?

Thread of the Year - Remembering our Friend TFBubendorfer

Newcomer of the Year - marathon2022

Most Improved Runner of the Year - Wottle (anyone that does 3 marathons back to back deserves an award)

Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual) - Murph_D Chicago marathon report

Race of the Year(Real or Virtual) - Mallow 10

Post of the Year - I'm drawing a blank here

Comeback Person of the Year - MrGuappa (long and patient comeback from injury in Dungarvan 10 2020 to knocking out PBs for fun)

Performance of the Year - py Comrades 2022 (epic stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I suppose I should contribute seeing as I will probably vote but it is really based on very little as I took a big step back from Boards over the last 15-18 months.

Poster: Definitely Swashbuckler. Prolific, informative, interesting and costly for many!

Log: For me it's a toss up play off between Swashbucklers, MurphD's and AMK.

Thread: I don't have one. If there was one thing I wished was different on Boards it's that people didn't avoid contentious threads and we had some properly debated topics. The Kenya Ban thread offered up such possibilities but was pretty much ignored. In it the idea that the Emperor might in fact be naked or that athletics has a drug problem that might actually reach the top were casually dismissed as bedtime stories 🙄 I suppose for some the sand is a very comfortable place to bury ones head.

Newcomer: Cannot contribute.

Most Improved: Kellygirl. Hopefully she'll be in contention in '23 too as there should be more to come.

Race Report: Swashbucklers Marathon. To be honest Murph's Chicago report was every bit as good but for me didn't have the intrigue. By this I mean that D ran the race I expected and did it brilliantly. I read what I expected to read. The relative 'car crash' nature of P's experience was more revealing.

Comeback: I only looked up Crisco's log after seeing it mentioned here. Not one I had previously read. Definitely meriting of the award. A fantastic return to running. Thanks to those who mentioned me. However I suggest you save your votes for next year and hope to give some comeback performances worth voting for. I still consider myself as being on the comeback trail rather than having reached the summit.

Race: Bob Heffernan. I always think there is something in the air there...hopes and expectations for many peoples first 5k after a race specific Spring training block.

Performance: I'd have a very short list here as I tend to judge performance based on contemporaries rather than the individuals past results. I look at age and gender results to get a true context of performance. With that in mind my shortlist would be any one of many AMK performances, likewise with MurphD and also Lainey's 5k PB performance. The standout however was D in Chicago... stupendous running made seem less so in the matter of fact way it was achieved.

Hall of Fame: TFBubendorfer

Nike Fanboys: too many to mention

Best use of Data: Wottle. It's all there...power, HR, effort.

Best Shoe launched in '22: Puma Nitro Deviate

Post edited by skyblue46 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It’s been a crazy couple of weeks here and I really wanted to get time to do some research before voting but just spotted it’s wrapping up tonight so my time has run out. I don;t think I have anybody different to add. Xmas present wrapping will have to wait until tomorrow! thank you so much to those who nominated me. I really appreciate it and it is a lovely surprise that people think I’m worthy of a nomination.

1. Poster of the Year. @Swashbuckler / @Laineyfrecks / @Murph_D
    2. Log of the Year. @Swashbuckler / @Laineyfrecks / @Murph_D / @Wottle (the three marathons in a row had me fascinated)
    3. Thread of the Year. I enjoyed the Marathon Improvers Thread this year but all the ones mentioned above are ones I got enjoyment out of too.
    4. Newcomer of the Year. Not sure
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year. @Lazare has done very well this year too.
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual). @Swashbuckler’s got me back to Boards after a bit of time out and Murph_D’s Chicago report …. I always enjoy Murph_D’s style of writing.
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual). The Cork Half was probably my favourite race this year.
    8. Post of the Year.
    9. Comeback Person of the Year. Mr Guappa and SkyBlue though I expect we’re going to see so much more of both next year.
    10. Performance of the Year. Has to be Murph_D in Chicago really.

I feel I’m doing so many posters an injustice here. I’ve read some great posts during the year and now can’t remember who wrote them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Seems like there is space for a '2023 Moments of the Year' thread next year where noteworthy race reports and posts could be linked. Could be useful to shine extra light on people's achievements, and would be a useful resource when it comes to memory jogging for next year's awards.

Great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ah gutted I missed this. Haven't been online the last couple of weeks with such chaos in work and life (Annual chaos, nothing wrong 🙂).

Honoured to receive a few mentions, thank you guys so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

I’m not that active on here and when I am I very rarely look at usernames anyway so names don’t really mean anything to me.

The one that did stand out though was a poster called FinnC on the marathon improvers thread, gave some great advice and advice I have put into practice. For me ,anyway he would get my nomination.

I forgot to close the nominations yesterday, some pints beckoned, so everybody above is in 😀

I'll put the polls up over the next day or 2

Cheers P. Don’t forget the Newcomer poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Apologies - missed this totally - was too tired doing battle with Swashbuckler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just voted on all the polls - Is there a 'Post of the Year' poll??

For me - its Krustys post on 'Remembering TFBubendorfer. '

Just going through it now, there is just one nomination that I can see, is there any more or its quite a short poll?

We had marathon2022 and babacool. Can't recall any more.

Think we had a mention of @AntrimGlens as well.

• Advertisement

Super thanks just grabbed the laptop and will get it sorted now!

Advertisement