Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R Awards 2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Are there anymore nominations for post of the year?

There are 2 currently.

Krustys post on 'Remembering TFBubendorfer.

This from @TFBubendorfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

@MisterJinx - thanks a million for all the effort you out into this. Can't wait to see the prizes you send out. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is there any big fanfare announcements coming?

If you're busy I can pull something together.

Drum roll please for the major announcements from the expertly run A/R Award of 2022 which was loosely put up, with ever changing deadlines, consistent selling mistakes, missed polls and no closing date!

And here are the winners, in the particular order in which I saved a copy of the poll results:

Shoe of the year - even with the help of a lumping in of the big swoosh Nike racers into a single category the Endorphin Speed came out top trumps, not surprising really as it's the best all rounder money can buy. Go buy them, there is a thread for that.....

Poster of the year - a very tight result here but out on top is @Murph_D who I think everyone will agree is a well deserving winner, except of course for those that didn't vote for him. We're personally also glad the usurper, @Lazare 's French cousin Lazaire didn't win as that would have been embarrassing.

Newcomer of the year 2022 - Is the aptly named @marathon2022. A reincarnation into marathon2023 would make them a shoe in for next year too.

Race of the year - The perennially nominated Meryl Streep of the awards, DCM, didn't make the short list this year due to a lack of historical understanding and as a result we have Jingle Bells taking the title this year.

The Hall of Fame went to @TFBubendorfer

Performance of the year - again a tightly fought race, much like their performance but edging it out, with a superb race is @Murph_D 's Chicago Marathon, a top 5% AG result which we can all be very jealous of and aim towards with consistent effort and a well worked race day execution.

Comeback of the year - some good nominations here and the award goes to @crisco10, considering what 2022 entailed for him it's very well deserved and very welcome to see. @skyblue46 - we're watch you for next year......

Race report of the tear - It's a great read, horrendous suffering, grit and determination abound, topped off with a massive delay in posting it adding to the anticipation, it goes to @Swashbuckler for his sub 3 marathon debut

Most improved runner of the year - the character limit on boards doesn't allow for the number of improved pb's and triumphs this year but shows in the massive number of votes for @Kellygirl

Thread of the year, unsurprisingly, goes to the tribute to "remembering our Friend TFBudendorfer"

Log of the year - a perennial nomination here and no surprise at it's one of numerous great logs to read, the award goes to the ever readable and relatable log of @Laineyfrecks who is continuing to Dream big and work hard to achieve her goals while serving us a good dose of 80's and 90's classic hits, some poetry and ruminations of life while also running.

And finally the big competition that didn't make the starting line, the epic battle between @AuldManKing and @Swashbuckler to see who could push themselves to the absolutely limit over the course of the year and edge the other one out in a final mileage challenge to round out the year. It was very close, before they went dark on each other (I'm sure only in the Strava visibility sense and not in cursing each other on lonely Christmas day runs) there was just 0.1 miles between them, neck and neck until Swashbucklers hunger for the title won over sensibility and he pulled out a monster 20 mile run on new years eve to take the crown leaving AMK to rue the 1.8 miles he was short. The Gladiators will fight again next year and AMK will run all the cool downs this time.....

Thanks everyone for nominating, voting and participating in the A&R forum in 2022. Happy new year and here's to a fruitful 2023 full of PB's, epic races, new shoes and wins big and small.

/P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

Some of those results don’t match up to the polls. Just saying.

They do from when I screenshotted them just before the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks @MisterJinx and well done to all the worthy winners!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks so much for organising @MisterJinx and thanks to everybody for the nominations and votes. It’s very much appreciated.

Well done to everybody here who has kept the forum alive. I was guilty myself of going quiet during Covid when I was only easy running but I owe so much of what I have learned about running to the people on Boards … even though I need to stop reading the shoes thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks a mill for organising. Some of the categories were super competitive. I was following the poll results. I think poster of the Year and performance of the Year were particularly tight.

Well done all for your deserved nominations and awards.

• Advertisement

Laineyfrecks was 2 votes ahead last time I checked,which was before this thread was created ,for performance of the year and poster of year was a tie, still is that way on my screen anyways.

Maybe there should have been a cut off point for the polls.

Yes there totally should have been a cut off time 😂 As I said it was loosely organised!

Here are my screenshots for those 2 categories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done to all the winners, all richly deserving recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well done all - thanks for pulling it together - it's all a bit of fun

(But If I was 2nd and should have won there'd be hell to pay :) !! )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done to all and fairplay for putting it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Thanks for organising @MisterJinx and congrats to all nominees/winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nothing like a controversial result! 😁 Honoured to have somehow stumbled over the line, although my own POTY nominee deserved it far more. Thanks all, and fair play to @MisterJinx for putting it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

These polls turned out to be like the American elections, winning the popular vote doesn’t mean you actually win!

Well done to those who did win and those who finished 2nd and still won lol !!

Not having an official cutoff point for voting seems like a bit of an oversight. 😂Some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done everyone !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Thanks MisterJinx, fantastic job organizing the awards

Winning this award after all theses years has given me a great boost, ever since I was Marathon19 I've dreamed of winning newcomer of the year. Dream big and eventually .... 😅(too busy so used chatGPT for a motivational speech)-Hard work is an essential ingredient in achieving success in any field, including running marathons. Marathons are long distance footraces that require extensive training, discipline, and determination. It's not easy to train for a marathon, as it requires a significant amount of time, effort, and dedication. But for those who are willing to put in the hard work, the rewards can be tremendous. Running a marathon is a major accomplishment that requires a great deal of physical and mental stamina. It's a testament to an individual's determination and perseverance, and it can be a truly life-changing experience. So if you're considering running a marathon, don't be discouraged by the hard work involved. Embrace it, and use it as an opportunity to challenge yourself and grow as a person. With hard work and determination, you can achieve great things, and running a marathon is a perfect example of that.

Love

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Muuuuuuhahahahahhahahaa… your “real” Name 😂😂😂😂😂 didn’t know that the newcomer of the year will be a mark(c) either way 😂😂😂😂

@MisterJinx love how unbiased you with regards to the shoes 😂 thanks for getting this whole thing setup and running. No recommendations on how to improve on it from my end. Keep it that way for 2023 awards. A lot more fun than what it would be if everything was running smoothly

Sure if it ran smoothly I'd be in danger of having to do it again 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks a mill for running this @MisterJinx, all in the name of fun. Thanks a mill to all for the nominations & votes, haven't been around here much but hoping that will change this year. Well done to all the winners but as corny as I am, we are all winners😉

Delighted @Murph_D won POTY as I truly believe he deserves it🤗

Best of luck to all this year with all your running goals...here's to lots of PBS in 2023 & running because it makes you happy 😁

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Well we are all winners when second is a win ..😂 Can 3rd and 4th also be considered a win 😂

Congrats on your Performance of the year win btw, even if coming first doesn’t guarantee a win. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

a statement that fits 99% of people at my workplace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

wahay! Thanks for this MJ, you just ran with it which was admirable, so I have 100% tolerance for the odd issue here or there!

Thanks to all who voted for me, it's mad to think people notice. :-)

Well done to all the deserving winners! and here's to a great 2023!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You're probably just having a laugh, but you've posted about this three times now and as the 'winner' of the 'disputed' categories I feel I have to chime in and defend @MisterJinx, who was decent enough to step in take on the task. Collecting the nominations and overseeing the polling is a job I've helped out with myself in the past and believe me it's more work than you might think, taking up precious time during the Christmas break.

OK, in hindsight I'm sure there are things he would have done differently and it would have been good to have had a more specific voting deadline, but MJ had the foresight to screenshot the state of play when he closed the polls and I don't think there is any reason to dispute his integrity in declaring the result.

The Boards.ie polling functions are pretty rudimentary and it's not possible to put a voting cutoff on a poll so there's nothing to stop people voting while the results are being compiled or after the results have been announced, as has obviously happened here in a couple of the more 'popular' polls (Poster of the Year attracted significantly more votes this year than last year, for example, and also a good few more than several other categories, which is a little odd).

Of course, if the forum wants to have its Annual Awards, it might as well do it right, so there's always room for improvement. I'd suggest, for example:

1. Clear deadlines for making nominations and the voting period;
    2. Return to the previously used format with only the three most popular nominees making the voting shortlist (results in more focused vote);
    3. Try to prevent domination by the usual suspects, maybe by restricting individuals to one or two categories max, for example.
    4. Any other reasonable suggestions.

Anyway no need to overthink it - it's supposed to be fun. But let's lay off slagging the volunteers who stepped up and made it happen.

Sincerely,

Performance/Poster of the Year. 🏆️ 😉

Thanks @Murph_D Look Mia Culpa, yes I made a couple of mistakes in doing to polls. In my defence I'd been sick in bed for the two days pervious and only got up when I remembered that I had this to do and got it across the line as quickly as I could otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

I do have all the screenshots @ewc1978 , if you'd like me to post the rest of them up, as well as the ones I've already posted, then I can do that. I don't think you were doubting my integrity, I don't see why there would be any need for me to fudge the polls or you to doubt that I took them as I found them, so I'm sure your posts are in a spirit of jest.

Good suggestions on next year, I had just looked at last years polls and I didn't see any rule suggestions like the ones laid out there so at least they are here now for reference for anyone who is doing the poll next year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement