Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl 30% off reduced to 20%

• 15-12-2022 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I see Lidl have reduced the 30% off that they used to mark down on food items that had only a day or so to use.

20% is not nearly good enough for me on food that I have to use today or tomorrow. Pure profiteering on their part IMO.

The bargain alert is that I went to Aldi today and got food reduced to 30% off. Bought a load of other shopping as well.

My advice, though its hardly needed here on Bargain Alerts, is if you're paying full price for your meat, go digging round at the back of the shelf and get the longest dated stuff you can.

No point in allowing them to fob you off with anything but the longest possible shelf life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

20% is more than enough. With the like of Lidl/Aldi there is still normally a day or two left until expiry. Unlike Tesco, who have food going off that day. 9pm, an hour before they close, they have it "reduces" from €3.50 to €3.20 or something ridiculous like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Contender for bargain alert of the year right here

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Buffman

Probably more a topic for the 'rip-off' forum, it was discussed a good bit in the Lidl plus thread here. Ye, all food except bread is now 20% instead of 30%. I'd agree with the OP, not worth it for short dated stuff. The max time you'll get in Lidl is 1 day before 'use by' (with the exception of some cooked meats) and a bit longer on 'best-before'.

Tesco seem to be randomly hit and miss alright, some of the 'discounts' are only a few cents but other stuff can be a far higher %. I got one of the 'posh' own brand sliced pans down from almost €2 to €0.49 the other day.

Post edited by Buffman on

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Aldi seem to be flirting with more 30% stickers, and a 50% sticker, rather than the good old fashioned 75% off.

The only benefit to Lidl going 20% instead of 30% is that people won't buy the 20% and it'll send up in the Waste Not section for 90c!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

"The max time you'll get in Lidl is 1 day before 'use by' (with the exception of some cooked meats) and a bit longer on 'best-before'"

Stick it in the freezer until required 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I just freeze the stuff. Its not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

My advice, though its hardly needed here on Bargain Alerts, is if you're paying full price for your meat, go digging round at the back of the shelf and get the longest dated stuff you can.

Don't take items with longer dates, you are just adding to food waste and food cost

If item is going off in 5 days and everyone digs around and finds same item but going off in 10 days then 5 days later the skipped food has to be reduced or chucked, they will tweak the margins to recoup the cost

As long as it's in date it's fine, you can freeze it if you don't plan to eat it for a while

No point in allowing them to fob you off with anything but the longest possible shelf life

Do you think they are out to get you?

Do you think that they are laughing at you as you leave because the item was available with a longer date?

they are a businness trying to employ lots of people, sell stuff at a reasonable price, and still make a profit, just like every other shop

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pauly58

We find plenty of meat in particular in Dunnes at 50% off, pizzas & bakery products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I've found lidl quite good with dates on things being far enough in future. I'm sure it's store specific though. The dunnes near me stocks stuff onto. The shelves which lasts max 3 days. I believe they intentially short date as much as possible... I find this a lot with dunnes Stores.

Lidl "going off" deals has always been poor for me. Hardly anything ever there worth picking up. Random things at best and never something if take.

Lidl have really hiked prices,reduced discounts and canned freebies. With their profit margins it's a shame, but hey, treasure ireland.

Getting items at reduced pricing for short dates all depends on what time you hit the shops, I picked up prawns cod and salmon all reduced yesterday and they went straight in the freezer.

this lady is worth following for bargains and deals, she feeds a family of five on €350 a month by getting reduced items.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmRQST-pUgJ/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Some of the responders to my original post seem to be feeling sympathy for Lidl and the other mega corporations.

Maybe if they read this article from Bylinetimes, they may change their outlook.

Inflation Profiteers: How Corporations Are Making Millions Price Gouging Consumers

https://www.bylinesupplement.com/p/inflation-profiteers-how-corporations?utm_medium=email

I’m still waiting for the bargain 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭ooter

Yeah I was going to mention the 90c stickers, got loads of stuff for 90c which was way more than 30% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I've always been turned off by discount meat. If its in my fridge its getting cooked a day or two before the Use By date.

I find that sometimes the meat starts to spoil even before the Use By date. Maybe that is more likely to happen when its in my fridge (which gets opened a lot) than it is in the supermarket but its something I've always been wary of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Confused as to where the bargain is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

Why don’t they just put the sticker over the original barcode, even when you place it face up on the till belt they still dont see the big orange stickers on either item. No bargain, the opposite really.

• They scan the original barcode then hit a button on the till screen for 30% off. I always just place the discounted items at the end of the shopping and keep an eye on them to make sure they're discounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

This happened to me past 2 days and hadn’t noticed until I got home that prawns had come out at €6.49 instead of the orange stickers €3.95. After a bit of argument, did get it sorted via WhatsApp Lidl Customer service as they had wanted me to return to the store (30km away and unlikely there until January!) but definitely need to watch prices closely that going through correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The bargain is that less people are likely to buy reduced stuff with only 20% off so more will end with further bigger reductions.

Wake me up when it's all over.

people will still buy products at 20% discount because it is better than full price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't unless it was something I wanted anyway. With an extra 30% off I'll get something thats not on the shopping list but at 20% no way.

Wake me up when it's all over.

prawns and salmon are always reduced and always get eaten in our house 👍🏻 I never stick to shopping lists tbh and base out food in what’s on offer or reduced in the supermarkets in my area

Advertisement