Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Shortages in Ireland.

Options
  • 16-12-2022 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So we have staff shortages in

Doctors

Nurses

Gards

Teachers

Commission of Utilities

Bus Drivers

Plumbers

Electricians

Labourers

Chefs

Hospitality

Taxi Drivers

Childcare

I am sure there is more i am missing. It hasn’t always been like this?

We are constantly told by politicians we are a rich country and extremely lucky.

Why the shortages? Surely it’s not sustainable and we can already see it’s bringing down the standards and reputation of our “first world” country status.

Will things get any better?

Post edited by Jinglejangle69 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Things will get worse in new yr.was talking to a lad the other day doing a job for me and he said he knew of at least 50 people who are emigrating.across all professions from doctors,nurses,teachers and builders.fed up with this country and being taxed to the bollix whilst other get everything for nothing.

also Eamon Ryan’s name got mentioned too as a reason for leaving.stick his green stuff where the sun doesn’t shine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The job seekers allowance is far too generous as are many social welfare payments.

This is a barrier to work for entry level jobs.

On the professions we need to pull anyone with the relevant skills out of the refugee system and immerse them in English language and get them placed in jobs.

And it has to be made far easier to bring skilled people from other countries - teachers from South Africa are superb but near impossible to bring in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Can't attract overseas workers due to the cost of housing and the lack of services. Everything is too expensive here for anyone starting off. No houses, no gp's, no schools, no public transport, expensive car insurance. The list goes on. Ireland just isn't an attractive place to come for people who want to work and make a living here.

Its across the board, through all pay scales, the sums just don't add up to come and live here.

And don't get me started on the excessive time frame caused by red tape to do business here. Plenty of people out there who want to start up or expand buisnesses being held up for ridiculous timelines by government bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Where are they going?

Because in most western countries you are going to get the likes of Eammon Ryan and "green" policies and as tax goes we are far from the worst, in fact because of the budget people will pay less tax come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

You can add social workers and social care workers to that list. The shortages are chronic and there isn’t any indication that it’s going to improve a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

One Common denominator here appears to be “having to deal with the public”. Most of us don’t want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Eamon Ryan is a reason people are emigrating lol, I've heard it all now. I hope they're not going to Australia where a pro-Green government got in power not too long ago.

The CSO says more Irish people are coming home rather than leaving at the moment. I know of 2 doctors that will be returning to Ireland soon to work. Most doctors spend some years abroad working but given the high pay in Ireland and family ties etc. most want to return too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Adult disability services are at an extremely vulnerable risk to the point of people in need myself being one such are being turfed out of services.

The service I am/was linked with ran half a dozen recruitment days with no staff recruited for my centre I am now left to fend for myself which isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Lots of well paid IT jobs. And a lot of these are ancillary jobs, not actually designing, producing or maintaining any software. Just heads on Zoom calls. So, loads of opportunities in this sector.

I know, I've been working in the industry for 30 years.

Ditto in banking, insurance, ...

A lot of people moving from useful work into less useful work for this reason or emigrating.

A lot of jobs that do not actually produce anything of any value. They will be automated or offshored. They are temporary. Gold rush times.

Not much use if your kid is sick, or needs an education, your plumbing is fucked, you need a house to live in, you need to get to work or a hospital appointment, you are sick ... , the road needs to be repaired, there is a fire, there is not enough police, ...

So, the country needs to decide what we really value and pay the appropriate compensation for these jobs.

There is a huge snobbery in Ireland too. People worship well paid snake oil sales men here.

😛

Edit ..

Housing is the main driver. People are forced to do work, which may not be of value to society, which they don't enjoy or are suitable for, to earn enough money to pay for a roof over their heads.

And, both parents in a family are forced to do this.

Edit 2

And it's FFG who are responsible for this. We got the biggest kick in the arse, lesson learnt as a nation in 2008, and we've gone and done it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Teachers: I'd say the shortages are mainly in Dublin, due to accomm costs?

Doctors: as this occupation has become more and more feminised, then more staff are needed (headcount versus FTE), due to more job sharing, part-time working, etc,

Construction: not enough young people want to get a skilled trade, people are put off by a boom-bust cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Cost of Housing is a huge issue.

Lack of rental accommodation is a huge issue

High rents is a huge issue.

You’ll always get people who will want to work in the above roles but are prohibited from doing so due to the cost of just living.

Some of those jobs such as taxi drivers chefs labourers bus drivers were traditionally done by people who had the opportunity to live in a council house for life with low rents, enabling them to have a good working life, raise a family and have a decent level of stability.

There are a lot less council homes relative to the population these days- it’s a different world and those professions just don’t pay enough to enable you to live life.

No it's not FFFG's fault it's the Greens' fault that people are leaving didn't you read the OP?

It's so funny, people blaming the greens for everything.

The reason we have problems is that little Johnny and little Mary are not going to do any useful work when they can earn loads of money opening boxes or playing Minecraft on YouTube or could be a employee diversity director in a company they makes weapons.

Or director of tax avoidance.

Loads of well paid jobs around. Just need to look.

🤣🤣🤣

I sometimes really wish I had a trade. Are there any schemes to get grown ups into trades I wonder or do they only focus on school leavers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I’ve always been on the fence about moving back to Ireland, been living in Canada for almost 10 years now and work in software.

Plenty to move back for in terms of family, friends and it being “home”, Vancouver is also very expensive but you can get by with the volume of rentals, that’s a big draw back here with the lack of it. Price wise, it’s about the same but you’ve far more choice.

I’ve one friend who moved back this year and he is planning to move back over to Canada. He just can’t settle here or get going, he also works in construction.

It’s different for everyone of course, the pull and push of Ireland changes everyday. For some in the jobs listed about, who could blame them for wanting a better go at things and heading off.

Yep, I'd do plumber and carpenter..and build a house in my garden in case the kids get jobs that'll be automated by robots.

Also, snake oil salesman to squeeze planning application past the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In relation to medical staff, an ageing population, a growing population, combined with the long-term effects of previous recruitment moratoriums have combined to create a problem. The capacity of third-level to upscale provision is also an issue, particularly in relation to capital capacity and the sourcing of placements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't worry, all the techies down in the super-duper Googly Facetube Interweb Quarter will save us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Well the people voted in the greens in sufficient numbers to put them in a position of power, so it's not Eamon Ryan's fault.

We have a problem with housing, a major one. Leo was on about a building boom recently but with objections, high costs and shortages of tradespeople etc. this won't happen.

We also have a retirement age that needs to be increased,because we have a huge generation of retired people who want to be served in restaurants, bars, hospitals, taxis etc. They want electricians and plumbers to work on their homes but give them a discount because they are retired.

Then families are getting smaller now so there are proportionally less young people available to work in hospitality to earn college money. Coupled with an expanding retirement cohort it's going the wrong way.

The problems are many and varied but politicians won't deal with them, the retirement age being a biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Have you ever seen the application form for joining the HSE? Strange as it sounds, I know several people who were thinking of applying but when they saw the application form they just went nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anybody can become an apprentice if you can get a tradesperson to take you on, no matter what your age. But realistically adults can't afford to live on an apprentice's wage. You'd want to be living at home with Mammy and Daddy to be able to survive on a first year's apprentice wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Still, no shortage of Deliveroo drivers, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

goverment should be doing more, raise wages and lower taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

The cost of living especially the cost or rental accommodation in our cities is our downfall. I know of 4 teachers all were teaching in Dublin have moved to the Middle East this year on a 5 year teaching contract. With the astronomical cost of renting they were unable to save enough for a deposit on a house - but the actual rent they were paying would almost pay the monthly mortgage - there sure is something wrong somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Too many bullshít jobs

Theres too much money in bullshít jobs of no real worth, and this draws away people from the jobs society actually needs. A lot of this is related to the advertising bubble too - you can do any aul crap and get paid, not because its useful but because advertisers think that you are doing enough for them to profit.

We are now reaching a point where irish society has a big gulf in the middle, an employment no mans land. There are plenty of immigrants to take advantage of to work in bars, restaurants, deliveroo drivers. There are plenty of people with not so great college degrees working as "associate saas salesforce editor assistant to the regional manager". But there are very few people picking up building trades, taxi drivers, ambulance drivers, school teaching, gardai. Many of these jobs pay reasonably well too, they would not be considered low-end.

But because the barrier for entry is too high for the recent immigrants & language students, and those who do meet the entry requirements can get more money working in a bullshít job, these jobs go unfilled. And society suffers. And it will get much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's only because Eamon Ryan really likes takeaway food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Same in eg Canada. Family there are having to leave emergency accommodation after a certain time length after their homes were destroyed in the bad storm earlier this year (Newfoundland) They have literally nowhere to go. I have significant and increasing disability but never involved with services. Just was made to be too complicated. After five years they have suddenly realised and i now get a Lunch Club meal sent in once a week... As someone has posted it is jobs that involves direct contact with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wealth is generally presented in the value of assets such as property, so those of us that have been accumulating assets, in all forms in particular in property, are deemed wealthy, but those that dont have assets are screwed, primarily younger generations.... i.e. we re certainly a wealthier nation compared to the past, but not only has overall wealth being growing, so to has wealth inequality, which means we re all screwed, including us asset owners....

many of the jobs and sectors mentioned have been in decline in real terms, in regards pay and conditions, for many years now, to the point, its actually now not possible to survive from the pay and conditions offered, and you may forget about trying to save in order to be able to purchase a property, i.e. an asset, in such jobs, this is in fact one of the main reasons why theres so many vacancies in these professions, but there are many other reasons also....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People can project their personal gripes about the Greens or tax or the dole all they want but it's all bollix.

We need people to move here to fill a lot of jobs but people can't move here because there is hardly anything in the rental market. Never mind too expensive sometimes there is nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Apparently, he keeps reordering food if delivered by a car and won't eat anything delivered to him until it arrives via bike. Aaaand he expenses all the uneaten deliveries to the taxpayer.

I know at least 50 people that have been this happen.

Advertisement