Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 32 team Club World Cup Officially announced starting in 2025

• 16-12-2022 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭

On the back of Gianni Infantino calling Qatar 2022 the greatest World Cup ever

Gianni Infantino announces..“The new men’s Club World Cup will take place in 2025 and will feature 32 teams”.

It will run as the same format as the World Cup

Group stages

Last 16

Last 8

Semi Finals

Final.

Just what we needed more irrelevant football matches

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The clubs should tell him to **** right off. Don't want the super League, don't want the stupid revamped champions league either and certainly don't want this

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If this is something that happens during the summer and replaces the pre-season tours I'm not totally against it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Are they trying to usurp the World Cup ? For me a gathering of the super rich clubs just wouldn’t have the same appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Really don't see how this works, it doesn't make sense - the best & richest clubs all play in Europe. The best players are in Europe. The Champions League is your club world cup.

If it is full of a bunch of teams from outside Europe the standard will be lesser than the champions league.

If it is full of a bunch of teams from Europe it will just be a lesser version of the champions league with some other teams thrown in.

The idea of seeing some exciting Brazilian teams take on a European is good in theory but we already have that (Club World Cup) and it isn't actually that interesting in practice.

Dead on arrival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cant stand Infantino , yet another corrupt FIFA official - top professional players really need another tournament in ther 11 month long season - flogging players to burnout for more greed and corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I can see why European clubs would be against this with an already overworked schedule, but if it did happen, as a fan I would most certainly watch it. The majority of the group games would be dull with the likes of Asian and African club teams in it but the latter stages would be enjoyable.

I'd definitely favour this than that ridiculous expanded World Cup that's on the horizon. If he thinks changing the format from 16 groups of 3 to 12 groups of 4 will improve the drama he's stupidly mistaken. Like the Euro's, teams that finish third have no business advancing to the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No this is about FIFA vs UEFA. FIFA need to replace the CL with it's won thing so that they get the money.

I actually miss Blatter. At least he had balls and was fun in a Bond villain sort of way.

Infantino is just a damp little weasel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

This'll be played in whatever oil sodden country that pays FIFA and Infantino the most money. Reason enough to hate it.

If the club owners get a big enough slice of the pie, they may go for it. I'd like to think the players will revolt and refuse to take part.

Best case scenario, minor clubs are the only ones willing to take part and it falls on it's arse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The only reason FIFA do anything is money. Everything else is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

The players will take the money just like FIFA and the clubs.

This every 4 years and a World Cup every 2 leaves very little room for anything else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Did I read that the European and South American teams will only join from the Semi-Final stage ? So for those teams it would not be any extra games than usual anyway.

That would make the whole thing pointless from a sponsorship point of view.

Also it's 32 teams so there will be multiple UEFA teams so that's impossible unless it's a semi group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Doubt it, as that would only leave 1 spot each for UEFA and CONMEBOL teams, and 30 spots for the rest of the world. For a "world cup" that would be very poor quality.

Advertisement