Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That is a cracking trailer! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That logo reveal gag… I’m in, Greta (who is two for two so far as far as I’m concerned)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I tried to delete my thread on this but can't seem to 🤷‍♀️

Anyway.... I hated Lady Bird, loved Little Women. No idea what to expect from this one, but that teaser is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That is an interesting teaser

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Uh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So strange. 2001 homage to start things off. Still, it'll get people talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now will Aqua profit from this film in any way? Or will there be a remixed or slow version of their song?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Studio couldn't secure the rights to it, apparently.

Which is ironic, considering Aqua didn't have Mattel's permission to release the song in the first place.

I bet they're just pretending they don't have it so when it's actually included everyone will be delighted.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, which is which?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Great trailer, very excited about this. Saw a Tweet that showed the very first Barbie doll which came in the black and white swimsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ken again! 😄

I can't wait for this. It's either going to be amazing or pure trash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still have no idea what to make of this: just another exercise in Brand Management Cinema, or subversive genius? Both, probably, with a larger aftertaste of the former ... but it's certainly commiting to the bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched starship troopers again at the weekend. hopefully something similar to that !!

I love that its going up against Nolan's Oppenheimer at the box office. Some people are just going to lose their minds that week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d honestly rate Greta Gerwig above Nolan in my own personal ‘great modern directors’ pantheon, so there’s going to be an interesting weekend this summer :)

New short trailer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The more posters I see, the more insane this cast is becoming!

https://www.ign.com/articles/barbie-movie-posters-reveal-more-barbies-kens-and-humans

• Advertisement

A thought occurs: is This generation's Speed Racer?

I'm not entirely sure western audiences can or want, to handle live action cartoons. Though it's a stronger pre-existing brand mind you.

Ach, you would, lol 😂

My understanding of the basic plot is that Barbie is exiled from BarbieLand so I'd assume that happens early on and the vast majority of those other Barbie and Kens will just be in scenes like we see in the trailer, where she's waving at people on the street or at the beach or similar. Maybe the occasional scene of what's happening in BarbieLand while Margot Barbie is in the real world.

I can't see that entire cast having legitimate speaking roles in the film, right?

I hope it plays the real world scenes like The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel. Like they're all playing it deadly serious.

100% track record vs a not 100% track record - smaller sample size though 😁

Seriously though, I think both Lady Bug and Little Women are genuinely outstanding films. It’d take a rare director indeed to convince me to go to see a Barbie film, but here we are!

I think this film might be lurking in the grass over your 100% track record. If this is "just" Brand Management and nothing else I could see a bit of a Gerwig backlash incoming from those expecting something "more". Reality of Hollywood today is this might be the film she needed to make to allow <something else> happen. It's kinda how things have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

their advertising campaign has been a spectacular success online it seems. no fear going up against oppenheimer either. really looking forward to seeing it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The latest trailer delves much deeper into the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Getting a Brady Bunch plot point

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Bit of Elf in there as well with the travelling. And it has Will Ferrell.

And Barbie Girl at the end of the trailer. When talking about the album.

When they were being fingerprinted and since was reminded of Elf, I was wondering what film was it that Santa or maybe was an elf had a star shaped fingerprint?

• Advertisement

I actually laughed out loud several times watching that trailer. I am genuinely getting very excited about this.

Advertisement