Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Why would a jurisdiction that covers all and only a geographical island called Ireland be called anything else but Ireland.

There is really really sad element of unionism that has developed here due to the sectarian environment that developed after partition. They hate Ireland so much that cant even refer to it by its name. They now use island and islanders instead of Ireland and irish. They have no problem referring to the island of Britain as Britain and its demonym British but ours is not worthy of a name?

I am sorry here but people can come up with a more inclusive flag and anthem for a UI but the amount of hatred towards Ireland where they cant refer to it by its name cant be catered for. Even when all of Ireland was in the union it was called Ireland so there is no leg to stand on here from these anti irish unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

we have all agreed the behaviour is not causing tension. The fear is that belligerent republicans cannot tolerate other cultures. I guess same as tension around GAA in east Belfast where a few belligerent unionists are causing tension. It’s nothing the GAA are to blame for. Surely you can understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So explain what this ‘other culture’ is?

You are flat out using this terminology and running when asked a question on it.

You claimed this ‘culture’ is inclusive of all but keep referencing ‘our team’.

Whose team is it?

Show me where I said this “you said that it is INEVITABLE that England, NI and RoI get automatic qualification, read your own bloody post.” Just copy and paste the phrase.

I didn’t google about GAA in Windsor. I am pretty sure they have an arrangement with a GAA club who use Windsor for training and practice games. I’ll look it up later.

you are aggressively going around in circles about football crowds at casement. I’m just saying, and I don’t care either way, either it’s ok or it’s not ok. If it’s not ok then they should say before euro money is spent on it.

re build. I am not arguing anymore about it. Commentators up here have said that the euro bid will get casement over the line. I don’t care they never build it.

Wrong. As fionn says, they’ll get an idea how Downcow thinks. He only speaks for himself

• Advertisement

I agree completely that the increasing number of young nationalists supporting OWC does not change their wish for a Ui or otherwise. What I hope it does do is increase the sense of northern irishness for both unionists and nationalists, so that there will be an increasing sense of , whether it’s in Uk or Ui, that ni is a devolved unit.

You asked

“I'd like to see your evidence of GAA being played and welcomed at Windsor Park. I suspect you tried to Google this and saw the headline of a parody article and didn't bother to read the substance of it.”

there you go Played and welcomed!

Local Gaelic football clubs were unable to help because of no floodlighting. As time began to run out, she had a final, apparently futile, idea on Monday. "David Jeffrey's name came into my head," she recalled. "I don't know anything about soccer, but I'm mad about all sports and read about Linfield always seeming to win.

"My personal feeling was that it would be as hard to get Casement Park (Antrim GAA's ground) as Windsor Park so I got hold of David's number, phoned and asked him.

"He listened to me and by the time I was finished he was laughing and said 'No problem, let me make a few arrangements'.

"Religion didn't come into it for a minute, this is what sports people do for each other," she said.

Jeffrey, a legendary Linfield player who has gone on to become one of Irish soccer's most charismatic managers, was modest about his role.

He said: "It's a very small way of showing respect and love and concern and helping your friends.

"It was a massive, massive privilege for someone like Mel to come on the phone, she is an absolute lady."

His offer has won the club at least one new fan, as Ms Smith plans to follow their fortunes. She pledged: "I have already made up my mind to go and watch Linfield play."

It has failed as a devolved unit in the UK requiring an international agreement to just function.

Can you give us one reason why or how it would work as a devolved unit in a UI?

Because I can see no rationale for it only to appease unionism.

Can you explain does OWC equal NI??

You cant even infer that a NI football supporter would want NI to be develoved jurisdiction in a UI. It is a failed jurdicition in the UK so not sure why it would be any different in a UI. Theyre just supporting a team of where they live. Also more nationalists and unionists playing and supporting a team together might lead to it going a step further and having an all Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah, the old "failed jurisdiction" narrative.

Not one of the "failed jurisdiction" narrators has ever been able to explain how with a magic wand everything becomes a land of milk and honey in a united Ireland.

I don't buy tropes like "failed jurisdiction", just a catchphrase of old 1980s good republicans. Nothing to stop Northern Ireland functioning as it is, except for politicians who work their hardest to ensure it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'll even give you the exact quote again in bold.

I haven’t seen this confirmed anywhere, but it would seem inevitable to me that eng, roi and ni get automatic qualification to euro 28.

I await your explanation, and a justification for why it seems inevitable that NI and England would be prioritised over Scotland and Wales.

A source for the GAA at Windsor instead of a bunch of unsourced, unstructured quotes that could be from anyone would be more convincing also. I'll have a look if you pop that link up and I can find any record of the actual event in question.

So ittakestwo, have a wee think about what you are saying. It was sinaed said it. She’s hardly a unionist. So don’t put that one on unionism.

I don’t ever here any unionist who can’t refer to your country as Ireland, but I know loads of republicans (including all of sf when they remember) who cannot stomach using the correct name of my country.

so as I say. Have a wee think about what you are saying!

Francie, if you ever get a Ui, you’ll learn about the need to be seen appeasing minorities. Careful what you wish for 🙂

Firstly, hands up, apologies, I was wrong. I didn’t realise I had actually said that. You ask why I think it may happen (which is what I should have said). I believe host countries always get automatic qualification (bar the very unusual case when loads of countries shared it). It’s a reasonable assumption.

Here, I will give you this quote out of one of your papers, which displays all the nonsense prejudice, but will confirm what I claimed. - warm welcome!

Looked this up further......20 years ago, Windsor was used for a Camogie training, fans were not involved, no match was played. Hardly comparable to what we're discussing, and while I'll give credit where due to David Jeffrey, it isn't really in the same ballpark as local residents welcoming the sort of carry on you were boasting about.

What rock are you living under if you're not aware stormont has been down for over a year. Also collapsed between 2017 and 2020.... the jurisdiction cant adjudicate itself. It is a failed jurisdicition.

When there was majority rule an apartheid of first and second class developed. You even see with the DUP today blocking the irish language and going against the majority of people and stoping gay marriage that they cant be trusted with majority rule. The alternative was power sharing and that isn't working either. It is a failure.

Ah so it's a great source for the bits you like, but horrendously biased for the bits you don't, I get you. I've already addressed how a camogie training is hardly comparable so I won't repeat myself. Whatever about improvements you claim have been made at Windsor, twenty years ago every bit of what you claim as nonsense prejudice was 100% accurate at the time.

The host countries have always had automatic qualification when there have been one or two. Not with five. Still doesn't explain why you decided Scotland and Wales weren't included. There is nothing inevitable about automatic qualification for five nations; it would be unprecedented. You say, 'bar the unusual case where a load of countries shared it'.....and ignore that this is precisely that sort of case. Bizarre logic.

To Unionism, appeasing minorities is 'allowing them equal rights for housing, not gerrymandering so they have no representation, not having state forces shooting their children and covering up for it when they do, not blocking anything to do with their culture'......I don't think we'll have any of the same issues with appeasing minorities that you had to, 'suffer' through.

The old line always rings true with modern Unionism; "when you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

So you accept you live in Ireland too then? You would have no problem with a UI state being called Ireland?

Sinèad seems to have just been willing to give into people who do have a problem with a UI being called Ireland rather than that being her first choice but i guess she would never get to clarify it and she was just one of 7 million people who live in Ireland.

There you have it.

Even if the majority vote for a UI Unionists want the island still partitioned

• Advertisement

If it was the Shinners being blamed for the failure of NI blanch would be fully in agreement that NI had failed.

Yes. For decades norn iron fans have referred to ourweecountry. It is simply ni and I guess playing on local lingo. You probably know wee is used in nearly every sentence and ‘our wee’ or ‘my wee’ is a term of affection.

as people get more connected to our wee country there is no chance they will want it absorbed into anywhere else. It would be like telling an Everton fan that they should form a United team called Liverpool. Some chance

Compare and contrast how you and me dealt with being wrong. Maybe says something about our confidence in our beliefs, or not

my mum used to say ‘as you live your life, you dread your neighbour’. You seem to think I am making stuff up to suit my argument. Never the case. I may be wrong sometimes, but if I am wrong I will admit it and learn from it.

I could be wrong but I thought it was only English, Irish and northern Irish stadia. Hence I assumed only those three countries would benifit. If all five are involved then I would doubt all five will get a free pass. Maybe there will be one pass for Ireland and the rest of us will have a dog fight for the other pass.

If you had confidence in your belief you wouldn’t have cut the bit out of the article you first posted that said it was for ‘training’ and you’d have supplied a source link.

No I don’t live in Ireland. I live on the island of Ireland. But I think you know that. It’s a bit like asking someone in Colombia if they live in America. I think they’d tell you they live on the continent of America.

it’s not that difficult to understand.

As much as possible, but I guess we’ll have to start with soft devolution and then work on hardening it as much as possible.

Is it not. They seem to be the only group that want it to fail.

You are speaking for yourself there. As more nationalists come into following NI that does not mean they wouldnt prefer one irish team and have a problem with it merging with the ROI. It was like when SF first entered Stormont. Some said why would a party that wants irish unity go into Stormont. Now they are the largest party in Stormont but that does not preclude the fact they would rather a UI.

George Best thought it was stupid having two irish sides and he was from a unionts background too which further blows up your argument that all unionts are all the same page regarding the set up of irish national football. As people move into the middle, the success of the irish rugby side while both irish football sides are quite frankly shite, the calls for one irish football side as well as one league will grow.

• Advertisement

You need to have a little more integrity. The piece I posted makes it obvious it is for training. Just accept you were wholly wrong, with a little grace

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement