Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are completely avoiding the question. Should all groups be be protected in a new inclusive Ireland by the traditional Irish hegemonists, ie the British the new comers, the travelling community, etc?

Maybe this brings this element of the discussion to an illuminating conclusion. This group was not allowed to walk because belligerent republicans reacted violently to their presence. Francie says “problem sorted”.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are avoiding who organised that march, what he threatened to do at it and want AGAIN to play the victim.

ANYONE who wants to live in mutual respect will be protected. You can march up and down OConnell st. to your wee hearts content if you behave yourself.

The Parades Commission saved your culture, build on it. Get rid of the sectarian OO attachment just play your music, get over 1690 and you never know I might attend one myself.

I realise I have been sucked back into historical stuff again. Apologies.

i suppose my question for the future is, can the authorities ensure the British living in a new Ireland would be guaranteed access to process in the capital? I can see is wanting to hold the twelfth their every so often - at least if you want us to treat it as our capital it would seem logical. And you know if the guards could contain the belligerent republicans, the average Dubliners and the tourists would love it.

No, the problem of a second march was sorted.

Your victims campaigner took the advice.

• Advertisement

There’s 100,000+ British people living here already. How many of them are attracted north for the 12th? Pretty few I reckon as traffic seems one way for the 12th.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you cannot attract them?

Make the parade acceptable to francie and it will be allowed 😂😂😂.

I think that’s my question answered. A blind eye will be turned to the Lyra McKee murderers parade but if the Brits are going to parade they better check what changes francie and the likes need

Again, infuriating.

Not remotely what I said.

Behave yourself and march away to youe wee hearts content.

If you want me to go and I dare say many Irish people, drop the sectarian organisation and get over 1690.

So in fairness to francie he has been fairly clear that the current version of our culture will not be acceptable in occonel street Next question is, will the same rules be implemented on high street Belfast and Main Street Lisburn? Or is francie actually telling us there will be different rules in the 6 counties from the rest of ireland

I’ll have to hand one victory to you francie. You have me talking about what a Ui might look like - which is not maybe the smartest move for a unionist

• Advertisement

Wrong. I said march away if you want.

If you want me to go there are terms.

Stop misrepresenting

Just silly stuff francie. I don’t expect an English man living in Dublin to be any more likely to attend the twelfth than I am to attend a morris dancing event. But hey, that’s diversity and that’s ok

I have no disire to attract Irish people to it. There is a welcome if they want to join us but no pressure.

what I am talking about is Irish people (to use your words) turning a blind eye and letting us get on with it. The Dublin tourist and the local kids will love it. Maybe a working class community in Dublin could get into the old bonfire competition. The kids would love it. Up here it’s bigger to them than Christmas

Not really when you claim it as a part of British culture.

I aint American but I’d travel over coals to be at a Mardi Gras.

Look at St Patrick’s Day around the world?

You won’t ask yourself the hard questions and wonder why your culture is in decline. What’s the OO membership down to now?

Bonfires will be a thing of the past soon. You can’t seriously think it is either a cultural activity or sustainable.

This is you misunderstanding culture again. Because your culture is based on funding support and guided by those in power , you think that’s how to measure culture.

OO is declining. Indeed any suit-wearing groups are eg churches, masons, etc. are declining. The loyalist bands are flourishing, but culture is so so much more. Your Irish culture is getting absorbed into our Uk culture but that’s ok that’s evolution.

our culture is what we do today and what makes us tick. It’s not locked into an old language or a dance. It’s what our people want to do. If someday they don’t want flute bands and want to roll eggs down hills. That’s fine. That’s culture. Stop trying to control it. Culture doesn’t die, it evolves.

you are stuck in ‘ourselves alone’ and this need to be different. Your government should give free prescriptions for chill pills.

I heard that one 50 years ago. It’s getting bigger. And that is the case in many communities accross the globe. I posted you the link the other day. This new Ireland will have the biggest one in the world

There is an all island band culture downcow, behave yourself, don’t taunt and don’t use a sectarian dying organisation to triumphalise and you will fit right into the Irish culture of marching bands.

One more tragic incident and not even the DUP will be able to kick the legal day of reckoning to touch.

Here francie. Here’s the big one at halfway point tonight. I don’t like heights so I get a bit queezy looking at it. Think I’ll def go to see it when it reaches 200+ feet.

I do genuinely worry about the builders in the same way I worry about Michael Dunlop at the Isle of Man. I wouldn’t do it and wouldn’t want my family involved but I can recognise talent and courage. Can you?

• Advertisement

Talent? Putting one stolen pallet on top of the next for a sectarian pyre?

No downcow, that is never going to get approval outside your bubble.

Ask yourself the hard questions.

Nationalists are from Mars and unionists are from Venus. It’s going the make this new Ireland difficult.

I rarely hear are community interested, let alone complaining, at your cultural oddities. I find it strange that you guys seem so focused on ending ours

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story. The fire we are looking at, all pallets were purchased by money raised be the local community and there will def be no flags or symbols on the fire.

how will your new Ireland approach this. Will the guards remove the fire 🙂. Do tell us how?

Ban it. It flouts every environmental law going not to mention health and safety laws. But that will happen anyway long before a UI.

As culturally acceptable as burning at the stake or stoning.

Ask yourself the hard questions.

And how would that ban work francie? Would the guards be going in to remove the wood?

The organisers would be prosecuted downcow.

Will you be looking to cherrypick what laws you obey in a UI?

Is that why you think keeping devolution and the PSNI will work for you?

Bless is all I can say. Within the year you will see action on these obscenities, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You rarely hear your community interested? Funny, from my perspective I never hear the end of a fair shuck of your community whinging about the Irish language or the GAA.

I am interested what the crime would be? Bonfires are lit for cultural and celebratory reasons the world over.

i take it there is no law currently about banning community festivals having bonfires. So do you think the ruling Irish will bring in a raft of new laws directed specifically at blocking the cultural events of the British? Sounds a tad like what you complain the Brits did on the Irish a few centuries ago? Sounds like another recruiting seargeant

No true at all. I, and most I know in my community, am supportive of the promotion of Irish language. I support Irish schools, and believe fleadhs, gealtalks etc should be encouraged. What I have a problem with is supremacists using Irish signs to windup mixed communities.

as for the GAA, yes I have issues with such an organisation presenting itself as open and receiving funding without attempting change. But let me say something very positive about the GAA. There will be enough of you involved who will know if this story is correct - I hope it is.

I was told the other day.

you will remember sf unveiling a plaque to three terrorists at a GAA club in Tyrone about a year ago. Sf gathered lead by O’Neill and implied the plaque was on the GAA ground. The GAA took a lot of flack for it in the press. Well, I am told, the shinners asked to get placing the terrorist memorial in the club grounds and the club said no. Shinners couldn’t convince them so came up with the plan to convince the owner of the land next door and placed the memorial against the GAA fence. Anyone confirm?

they got their photos at it and played up the terrorists GAA membership. Many in the club were pissed off about being used and abused like this.

but here’s what is positive:

1) the GAA recognises the sectarian and inappropriateness of their sport being recognised aligning with sectarian terrorists

2) the GAA refused erection of this memorial

3) It lets us all see who is behind these decisive events and who would be the agitators in a new Ireland - same party as is getting the signs up in my area

The concerns are, why are the GAA afraid to go public on such a powerful display of standing up to the bullies?

Fair play the the GAA on this one 👏 . It helps to challenge my perceptions.

now is it true guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Bonfires are already illegal in Ireland. So no new laws would be brought it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement