Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Interesting. I wasn’t aware. Thanks for the clarification.

now francie says in one year after a Ui the new rulers will have dealt with the bonfires in British communities in the north.

This will make for an interesting situation. What will happen the bonfires in Irish communities? I doubt you will literally be fanning the flames.

here is the current advice from Dublin City Council

In a handy guide on their website, they say:

• Bonfires are illegal, however, we have to be realistic. It is Halloween after all.
    • Only attend organised events, this way you can be confident that the bonfire will be well built and not contain anything nasty.

And here’s a post from Cork Fire Brigade just this weekend. I didn’t realise you guys were as big into bonfires. I see a possible themed youth exchange and sharing of skills.

Is francie having a laugh. Is he so so out of touch. So in one year he will have sent the enforcers in to british communities in the north and they will have taken action on these fire. He says “bless”, “mark my words”.

Bless francie, mark my words, he will guarantee more and bigger bonfires year on year with his silly discriminatory actions.

They are going to intervene at bonfires in the north with up to 35,000 people in attendance at a single fire and they can’t/won’t deal with the hundreds in their own back yard

Oh deary me! Already promised in our new Ireland, No fires, no parades, no OWC football team, no free prescriptions, no free doc appointments

……….and now no Argos 😮.

Whatever next?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Downcow, you've literally started threads on both the Irish Language and the GAA, let alone posted countless times about both.

I'll remind you of a quote from you in the thread you opened;

great To see the proposed ILA stalled again.

I was told many times that it would be implemented last October whether unionists liked it or not. I did say which October.

Bolding mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

[edit - nevermind same comment/quite already made]

That confirms what I said. I am all for the language flourishing and those who love it, learning it and lloving it. I am opposed to the supremacist imposing of it in a way that politicises it and winds up communities

Post edited by downcow on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Oh catch yourself on.

What part of the Irish Language Act ever proposed forcing you to learn it?

You've spent pages whinging and moaning about perceived hypothetical sleights in a future United Ireland when you can't show a modicum of the same magnanimity you expect while you have your way right now.

People like you will do more for Unification than the Shinners ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I said your current leaders will have dealt with bonfires before there is a Ui.

The DUP have tried to kick the legal ball into September.

That might work for a month or two but the legal day of reckoning is coming.

*Cork City Fire Brigade are not the law, if bonfires get out of control here they are dealt with.

Why don’t you be a little more magnanimous and challenge some of the attacks on my community in these pages.

how do you feel about francie’s claim/wish that within a year of a Ui there would be a major clamp down on our 11th night fires?

this thread would be more useful if posters like you entered a debate as opposed to just reacting to my posts only. I have made an effort in recent posts eg by making a genuine affirmation of an excellent decision by the GAA and admired that hearing it challenged my prejudice

Lord Kilcooney (John Taylor) was on about this on twitter too

Argos have failed because they didn't adjust for the modern world, people can get what they offer online now. No big deal I would have thought that they are folding their tent, bar the lost jobs.

Was Argos an intrinsic part of your culture downcow? Will you be taking to the streets to ensure it survives?

What is the relevance of your post otherwise?

You are again implying nonsense. Lots of fires get put out in ni and fires have actually been removed by the authorities prior to lighting.

you ducked the point though. You are saying the fires will be stopped in british communities, while shinners in Dublin advise ‘sure is Halloween and it’s just a bit of crack’.

you could replace Cork with Belfast on that fire brigade statement. Fire services in both countries are clearly sensible.

but you could not possibly exchange Dublin for Belfast in the council statement as sf would not allow that statement which they supported in Dublin to be issued by the council they control in Belfast. Sectarian and hypocritical

• Advertisement

This is what I mean about your government should issue chill pills. Can you not recognise a little bit of northern humour? I am not to tied to Argos. Not your greatest loss ever. Anyhow, I’m sure there is one in Enniskillen you could go to - and the bonus is you could drop your access cardboard off at the local bonfire site. It’s a win win for you

The only thing that will bring some sense to these organisers will be their own wallets.

That's the next step here, making them financially responsible for the damage, to the environment and to people.

It will happen before there is a UI.

Watch.

'p.s. if you couldn't read the room when the Guinness Book Of Records wouldn't touch your efforts with a barge pole maybe you shouldn't be trying to predict the future.

I haven't been in Argos, Enniskillen for at least 10 years. And it would be same for most of my family. I would imagine they are in trouble there too. They are closing high street stores in the UK and moving inside Sainsbury.

What was 'humourous' about gloating about it here though, can you explain?

If you can’t recognise northern humour and you see it as gloating then maybe that’s another challenge in a Ui. Did you honestly think that I was worried about no Argos 😂.

I asked you to explain the 'humour' and the relevance in here of a post you made.

You have failed to do that.

Not that the authorities have the slightest chance of stopping 11th night celebrations. If you were correct and they were successful in removing any adult involvement then here’s what the kids would go back to. Thankfully this is one area the north is more progressive in.

I see this push to build bigger and higher as the last ditch efforts of a dying wasp.

You pretend again that all your community back these obscenities, that of course is and never was true.

A few of the 'adults' in court paying for their 'cultural' pursuits will see the end of it.

Every community has had to stop doing stuff they did because it was no longer acceptable in a modern world, the OO and Unionism will be no different.

Very soon this will be illegal activity.

Interesting analysis here from the Arins project.

In Scenario 1, Glide Path, both sets of institutional arrangements function for the rest of this decade, with referendums on unification called in 2031, or shortly after.

In Scenario 2, Rocky Road, by contrast, the Protocol functions, but the Northern institutions and the NSMC do not—because the DUP refuses to re-enter into the Assembly and Executive and demands further modifications to the Windsor Framework, which neither the London government nor the European Union are willing to accept. In these circumstances a straightforward return to simple direct rule would be rejected by the Government of Ireland, which, like the rest of the EU, will observe that the UK is obliged by its recent treaties with the EU to protect the GFA “in all its parts” and “in all its dimensions.” In this scenario, UK direct rule would be modified by input from the Government of Ireland through the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference (BIIGC) which “subsumes” the conference established under the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985. The former leader of Alliance, and the first Speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly, John Alderdice, has labelled this scenario “de facto joint authority(link is external)

.”

We believe that scenarios 3 and 4, logical possibilities in 2021-2, are now exceedingly unlikely. That is because both the UK government (and its likeliest successor, a Labour, or Labour-led government), and the EU are determined to make the Protocol as modified by the Windsor Framework function. That reduces the four scenarios to two, with the DUP in effect deciding which of these will emerge, though it is possible to imagine oscillation between scenarios 1 and 2. We believe that the EU-UK détente, supported by the US, has cut off scenarios 3 and 4 through the Windsor Framework, and that the local government elections of May 2023 have cut off the loyalist hope that they could build sufficient electoral support to overthrow the Protocol.

That is simplistic that they are getting bigger and higher. The ballycraigy fire is unique. Last year there was 35,000 people there at midnight. This year it will be more. That’s not your average fore. There used to be fires at the end of every street. Neighbourhoods have centralised them. And yes they are a bit bigger but there are only 100s instead of 1000s.

do you not think that this super country you live in and you want us to join, could show us how it’s done by stopping the Cork fires and the Halloween fires? It would be good practice for when your government needs to stop our fires.

Those fires here are illegal downcow.

Your activity soon will be in the north.

It won't be made legal in a UI to appease you either. If you want to persist with this illegality in the name of 'culture', it says a lot about your community.

• Advertisement

Francie my question was, should that super government of yours start by practicing on your own fires and prosecuting etc? Seems logical to me in prep for a ui and taking on the big ones

They take action all the time downcow. If you think you'll get building a Craigyhill in a UI, think again. It is coming to an end up there as it is. Councils cannot ignore the legal implications of these things for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Wishful thinking really. Big assumption that all catholics would vote for a UI that doesn't reflect opinion poles. Unity is currently only supported by 75 % of catholics and losing in the other 2 cohorts and quite significantly so. Even SF considered unity as toxic to the brand in the council elections!

No accident that the predictions have now changed from a BP this decade to the next.

So why have they not stopped the fires in Dublin if it’s as easy as you say?

s as nd before you count it as a victory, Ballycraigy have announced this is the last year of a monster fire on their estate. The committee required by volunteers is just too much. Structural Engineers , builders etc giving up 4 hours as day, 7 days a week for many months

lol.

Even SF considered unity as toxic to the brand in the council elections!

Keep inventing stuff jh79, if it helps you.

They know the writing is on the wall.

Well done them.

Are you saying that SF didn't have a tactic of not talking about unity? Reported in the media and SF mouthpiece Chris Donnelly even praised the tactic.

For gawd's sake, you fight elections on the current issues. Unity is not before the electorate at the minute.

It's a cheap jibe jh, and you do yourself no favours inventing this stuff.

• Advertisement

Do you admit you invented this:

Even SF considered unity as toxic to the brand in the council elections!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement