Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TPLO surgery, advice on how best to keep dog enclosed

Options
  • 16-12-2022 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all, well our big (47kg) baba needs TPLO surgery in the new year, Im looking for advice as the best way to keep him enclosed in one area, basically where his bed is, the vet said she wouldn't really recommend crating because he's so big so Im looking for the best type of pen/enclosure to put around his bed to keep him secure while he recovers, also any other advice regarding post op recovery would be welcome. Want to get him enclosed over the Christmas so he gets used to house arrest pre op 😥

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We used a baby gate on the sitting room door last time and put yoga mats down everywhere… I also moved my desk down and slept down him for the first few weeks… so we basically lived in the sitting room and moved to the kitchen for mealtimes lol 😅😅

Really you just need to be able confine to one room at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

He does sleep in our sitting room but we have flagstone floors and Im worried about him slipping on them, we have a baby gate on the stairs to stop him going up now, but downstairs is kind of open plan and big enough so I just want to confine him to where he already sleeps, he's usually pretty chilled until he hears a strange car or someone at the door (we're rural) then he jumps up and runs to the door barking, that's why I want to get him used to being enclosed now over Christmas. I've already thought about sleeping downstairs when he has the op, for a while anyway. I know the vet wasn't overly keen on crating but I've found an xxl one that is roughly the same dimensions as his bed (his bed is bigger than him) so Im considering getting it to make sure we have him as protected as we can.

Did your dog have the same op? How did he get on? Ours is seven and a half, a dumped pound puppy that fit in my hand at seven weeks old and now the size of a shetland pony and I hate the thought of putting him through this, he's always been an active dog needing his walks, ball etc, he's already in a depression session because he's housebound, and the vet reckons the other leg usually goes within six months of the first op. I'm dreading it all because he'll be so depressed, I've owned dogs for 50 years and this fella is the most expressive, human like dog I've ever known, which makes it all the harder, oh god at this rate I'll be sleeping in the crate with him 😂

He does sleep in our sitting room but we have flagstone floors and Im worried about him slipping on them, we have a baby gate on the stairs to stop him going up now, but downstairs is kind of open plan and big enough so I just want to confine him to where he already sleeps, he's usually pretty chilled until he hears a strange car or someone at the door (we're rural) then he jumps up and runs to the door barking, that's why I want to get him used to being enclosed now over Christmas. I've already thought about sleeping downstairs when he has the op, for a while anyway. I know the vet wasn't overly keen on crating but I've found an xxl one that is roughly the same dimensions as his bed (his bed is bigger than him) so Im considering getting it to make sure we have him as protected as we can. 

Did your dog have the same op? How did he get on? Ours is seven and a half, a dumped pound puppy that fit in my hand at seven weeks old and now the size of a shetland pony and I hate the thought of putting him through this, he's always been an active dog needing his walks, ball etc, he's already in a depression session because he's housebound, and the vet reckons the other leg usually goes within six months of the first op. I'm dreading it all because he'll be so depressed, I've owned dogs for 50 years and this fella is the most expressive, human like dog I've ever known, which makes it all the harder, oh god at this rate I'll be sleeping in the crate with him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How likely is he to try to jump out of a pen op? Some dogs are content to stay in a pen type arrangement, others are utter Houdinis, so you'll need to factor that in!

I generally use the panel-type pens because they're strong, robust, and very adaptable as you can make them bigger or smaller, change the shape of the pen, and take it apart handily enough if you want to move it... something along the lines of this:

You just might pick up a 2nd hand one online!

He never jumps and normally I'd be confident about this type of set up, we could put hooks in the skirtings and walls to make sure they would be secure if he pushed against them and I was leaning more towards this set up with a pen, I feel the crate might hinder him more in turning and banging against the bars etc if its tight for space, do you have any recommendations of which pen to get? The largest crate I was looked at was this one, which was slightly bigger than his bed

• Advertisement

Yeah, I get you with your concerns about the crate. I much, much prefer pens to crates, and I think dogs prefer them too, as long as they're not jump-over-the-top kinda dogs!

I think, especially post-op, it's nice for them to have space to stretch out and find a comfortable position, and remember too that there's probably going to be a buster collar on him for the first week or 2... it's really hard for them to manage having a buster collar on AND being in a crate.

If you Google "puppy playpen" you'll find those panelled ones I'm talking about... I'd suggest getting the 1m high panels for the big dog.

Good luck now with the surgery. Such a worry. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Bailey has had surgeries on both hocks and both knees… first surgery you’re learning what to do, second one will be a lot easier. If you’re going for a pen I’d suggest having room both for his bed and to lay down on the floor. If you can afford it a Helpemup harness will be a god send after the surgery and later in life, Zooplus stock the care lift one that’s cheaper too. Everyone will recommend a sling - I’ve used both and there’s no comparison- the harness is so much easier for both you and the dog. Think

of lying on your tummy on a swing vs sitting on it. I made a diy one out of bandage looped around his legs (so like an 8) and fastened to harness a couple of times as both dogs had a tummy bug the last couple of weeks …and well Baileys bum harness needed a wash(!). Kids leggings/tracksuit bottoms/an old long sleeve top - you can make a cover for his leg so he’s not trying to lick at it (the wound will probably weep) - we did this rather than use a cone. Another thing for your list - ice packs. I found my diy one of washing up liquid in a ziplock back longer lasting than any of the other ice packs when I pulled my neck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How about one of these?You can fet special "screws" to anchir them to the ground.

Yes! Im more inclined towards the pen, he's a big dog so want him to be as comfortable as possible, like I said he never jumps so thats my thinking as well, a bit more space and not as 'jailed', thanks

Its a bit pricy tbh, the op is going to cost about €3000 so Im more interested in the pen, and it kinda fits the space we have of him, thanks though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are different sizes, the smaller ones are cheaper but glad you found a solution.

I think I've come across some of your earlier posts about Bailey when I was doing some research on the TPLO op and I will take your advice on the harness, anything that helps him, We had a dog before that broke her leg and we put a large baby grow on her to stop her licking at the wound, but Aonghus is a bit big for a baby grow, but we can adapt something, thank you for all the advice, how is Bailey now after all his surgery?

The surgeries all went fine. He’s 13 now with arthritis but living his best life 🥰 he’s recently gotten some wheels to give him some support and has taken to them no problems!

A child's tracksuit? Leg stripes optional. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StudentforLife

Our big baby (42kg) has just come through this surgery. With great success! We used the pen type barriers to section off the corner of the sitting room her bed is in and spent most of the 6 weeks restriction time in there with her. Only at night for the first three nights. She is also a rescue and we have never crated her so didn't want to try introducing that on top of the stress of surgery and restrictions. We put a rug down in the area her bed is in to give her grip and old carpet offcuts on the path to the door to bring her out to the bathroom on a harness lead. We only kept the cone on when we weren't watching her as she hates it and it seemed to unbalance her. But she's very good so if we said stop when she turned to lick the wound she did. We also put human sprain bandages over the stitches to keep clean for the first ten days. She is now allowed back on the couch and up the stairs and is so much happier in herself. We have started short off lead walks again to build her up and the difference in her mood is very obvious. It was hard to confine her and you will also need to reduce the food portions which feels very mean but helps with recovery in the long run. Best of luck.

That great to hear all went well. fingers crossed here, have just ordered a pen and will get him used to it over Christmas and see if any tweaking needed before the op, all good advice there, thanks so much

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

These are great if you're worried about him slipping on the floor. They're surprisingly tough, and very useful for lots of other things when he's finished with them. They have something similar in Lidl/Aldi (I can never remember which) from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Another thing I've learned is that an inflatable donut collar is much less uncomfortable than a big cone. You can also combine an inflatable collar with a much smaller cone or a soft protective collar if you need to, depending on how determined and flexible your dog is.

I think the big cones mess with the way sound reaches their ears, which some dogs find very confusing.

I'm a big fan of the inflatable doughnut collars too, because they're much easier for dogs to acclimatise to and other dogs aren't as freaked out by how your dog looks!

However... the inflatable collars are only recommended for abdominal wounds, and it is possible for a dog to reach the knee joint if they really try, so if you do go with the inflatable, definitely combine it with the buster collar. Dogs get used to the buster collars... they are no doubt awkward and a nuisance, but they do get used to them and nothing, nothing is worth risking the dog ripping stitches out due to an eye being taken off them for a second. Speaking from nasty experience here that cost us many, many weeks of wound care to finally heal a mangled operation wound 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

We had a TPLO done on our Rottie bitch years ago. My wife used a mesh panel from a kennel run to divide off a piece of the kitchen, our floor is a textured vinyl, totally non slip. Our vet said three months to stay there, just out for toilets on a lead. She made a full recovery & we lost her at a week shy of eleven years old.

I read that the modern thinking is to get them using the leg more, but be guided by your vets advice. Good luck, a worrying time I know.

• Advertisement

We started short walks once the stitches were out to the top of te road and back and built from there. We did have to increase a bit more / add an extra walk as he was going mad dancing around with his football lol Take it easy though - it really is a short amount of time to restrict them - you see videos on FB with people running the dogs pretty much as soon as they have the op! Physio is great too but again - go to a qualified physio/hydro and let them tell you what exercises to do.

Thanks everyone, so far I've bought him the panel type pen, the care lifting harness, the donut inflatable collar (and I'll heed the advice about him being able to reach the wound) and a stair gate, just to be sure. Will get him used to them all as soon as they arrive, he'll get some quare looks from the cats when he has all that get up on him whilst enclosed in his pen jail🤣. He's cost me a small fortune before he costs me a big fortune and I'm going to be in the bad books with him for the next few months but fingers crossed it'll all be worth it when he has the op and is fully recovered, once again thanks for all the helpful advice 🐕️

Lol... isn't it gas, the things we do for them!

Some more suggestions... stock up on long-lasting meaty chews. Zooplus do a great selection, I've found the long beef scalp, and the long pizzles (yes... dried willie 😐) are great for larger dogs. No harm to have some easier ones too, dried tripe, liver, lung (they stink, but nyom for most dogs), and maybe consider feeding meals from Kongs, lick mats or similar.

Having dogs on crate rest is a great opportunity to train new things eg touch training, leave it, watch me, give the paw... also contact stuff like grooming, massage, touching feet etc. Great to help occupy your dog, and improve the training! It also kinda forces you to work on things like not pulling on the lead.

I'm sure there are others who can throw out a few more ideas too!

Keep us posted on how it all goes!

Great ideas thanks, he's generally a very good boy😉 but he does love his walks on the beach and he thinks he's being punished because he can't have his walks anymore, thats the hardest part, when we can't explain why he's on house arrest. Vet says we can do swimming with him when he's fully healed and he loves swimming so less walks and more swims, to help protect the other legs as well, for as long as we can. Thanks so much again for all the help and advice, but mostly giving me hope that all will be well for him

On the swimming, it is of course really good for them. But... there's a but! I believe that it's recommended to do proper hydrotherapy sessions first, because the therapist controls the dog to some degree and stops them flailing about with recovering limbs.

I think they now prefer that you leave the uncontrolled swimming until a little further down the recovery route.

I’d go to a hydro that has both pool and treadmill and let them decide what’s best. Your dog is going to be a high risk for illopsoas strain too after the surgery and I know pool/free swimming isn’t recommended if that’s the case like it was (well wasn’t lol) for us.

Oh yeah of course it's when he's properly healed, the vet said it would be good for him, not sure if any hydrotherapy places around us but will check it out

Of course, it. would be more towards the summer when its warmer, the vet actually suggested it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hey OP, I think everyone has covered all the advice already, just to say my lady went through it a 12.5 years and made a full recovery. Follow the vets instructions, follow the physios instructions. They know what they are at. I restricted mine to a enclosed area for 2 weeks then to a room after that but she was with me at all times. Cone was worn only at night but again with me at all times.

Look after yourself as well. its a daunting experience for owners as much as the pupper. my lady seemed to not care at all where as I was a wreck .

• Advertisement

Oh I fully intend to stick to everything we're told, really hate putting him through this but know we have to and to be fair he's getting used to his new pen albeit with very sad eyes and lots of sighs 🤣

Thanks for all the advice and the lovely words about looking after myself, Im not at all worried about the op just about making sure that we carry out our side of the recovery without messing up, but all will be well. Have a lovely Christmas everyone and I'll keep ye updated as to how it all goes 🤞

Advertisement