Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avoiding DPF issues

• 17-12-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm considering replacing my 2007 Octavia 1.9 TDI with a 2018 Superb 2.0 TDI, however I'm concered about DPF issues that I don't currently have at all on the older 1.9TDI.

Can you advise if this is much of a problem on the 2.0 TDI, I see it has a regen process, how often would ou have to do that and even if you do are you still going to have DPF problems over time?

If anyone drives a 2.0 TDi I'd love to hear your experience with them and if the DPF has been much of an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

If you are asking the question then you are probably better off with a 1.4 TSI instead.

No one can really tell you when or if the DPF will block, it comes down to how much city driving you do, how often you drive on the motorway, how full or empty the DPF is when you buy the car, etc.

At the very least you need to drive at motorway speeds for about 10 to 15 minutes once every couple of weeks. Even then if your doing lots of city driving it may not be enough, or you may never have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you think you will have DPF issues then your probably chosing the wrong fuel type as your next car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've watched a YouTube channel in England and he is a Irish guy but he shows you how to clean a DPF and it's a lot easier than I thought. Every video of his is a step by step of how to clean it. And people only call him out when it is blocked and they have a loss of power.

O'Reilys Auto's is the YouTube channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What annual mileage you are doing should decide the fuel type.

Avoid dpf if mainly city driving. You see taxis moving away from them for that reason.

We mainly do city driving but last time I had no choice but to get a diesel. I take it for a long spin about twice a month (usually if I start to hear the fans kicking in a lot after turning it off ) and get the mechanic to keep an eye on it. Should really replace it with an EV once that market calms down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

DPF on the 1.6 Tdi Skoda is fine, just don't switch off or code out the stop/start, you'll know when it's doing a regen because the stop/start auto disables and you can see a message under vehicle status that engine must be running.

I have 290,000 km on mine and the dpf is still working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

I'd be doing a combination of city driving but also a good bit of country driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Buy Petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Cant say about Skodas but the regen process is fully automated and invisible on the bmw's ive had. I bought an older e60 last year that developed dpf issues which weren't caused by me as Im in the sticks and all journeys are minimum 20 minutes, plus a motorway spin every couple of weeks. €270 to get it cleaned and refitted.

The problem with them is, as well as the unit itself being blocked, a few other things have to be working properly for the regen to happen, like the glow plugs, the module for them and if theres a missing link in the system the regen just doesnt happen, unknown to you.

TBH, for a higher mile older car that you get for a very good price and can afford to spend abit to put right, it's not too bad. But if I was looking at a significant investment in a newish diesel and wasnt absolutely hung up on mpg, I'd avoid them.

Advertisement