Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of oil consumed on sub-optimal radiators

Options
  • 18-12-2022 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, I want to understand the amount of oil consumed on sub-optimal radiators vs. new ones. Is the amount of oil consumed the same or does the amount of oil consumed increase on new/better working radiators?

Similar question for single vs. double radiators; do double radiators burn oil faster.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

When you say "sub-optimal radiators", do you mean partially clogged?

A partially clogged radiator will behave like a smaller radiator and will use less fuel, but will also give out less heat.

Yes, a doubble radiator will burn more oil, but give out more heat.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caoilfionn

Thanks Wearb,

Yeah, I'm not sure if the radiators are giving out little heat because they're old (30 years old) or clogged and need to be desludged. It sounds like if I replace with new ones or desludge existing ones, both will result in more oil consumption?

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If you heat your house to a warmer temperature than now, then it will result in more oil usage per hour. That's regardless of new or desludged rads.

New or desludged will however heat the place up faster so that if you heat the place to the same temperature as now, your usage will be the same, the difference now being that the home set temperature will be reached somewhat faster.

So for example if your house is heated to 21c 24/7 (not practical I know, I'm just using it by way of explanation) with rads as now and you clean them or get new and heat the house as above, your consumption will be the same in both cases.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caoilfionn

Thanks again Wearb, so technically, after the initial cost of replacing/desludging radiators, it sounds like I'll have a warmer house quicker. I thought maybe that oil consumption would be more efficient with more efficient radiators but it sounds like it's the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is one difference with some of the newer radiators over older types - where the water volume is less on some, especially aluminum ones. The overall effect of having less water to heat is that the system is more responsive overall and you cut down on thermal over-run which can cause a room to overheat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement