Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yes, the Swedes had less deaths than certain other European countries, but they had proportionally more deaths than their closest socio-economic neighbours, especially in the first year.

It's important to compare to countries with the same economic and social conditions, because countries with very different conditions can have too many differing factors which give wildly different death rates and other metrics. Their experiment with relaxed measures definitely resulted in more deaths (many more in the first year) than their closest neighbours, and they still had approximately the same economic hit.

Basically Sweden was widely seen as making a mistake. They later introduced measures.

It was absolutely terrible and very tragic, however the disease was new, people were catching it and dying from it. The numbers kept rising, almost exponentially. We were running out of ventilators, ICU's were starting to fill up. Italy was in dire straits. We didn't know how big this would get.

Keep in mind it's easy to nitpick all this stuff with hindsight.

It's grim to see in this thread certain posters pointing out how tragic it was that people's parents were dying, while posters with similar views dismiss them as "just old people who were going to die anyway".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,884 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Dieing of a disease is natural causes. Before you say theyvwere going to die anyway, we are all going to die anyway so let's get rid of medicine and laws hey

So we can only compare Sweden to their direct neighbours but you keep using the US data when it suits?

Interesting. Almost looks like you are picking and choosing data that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We made old men stay away as their wives died and were buried. We made fathers stay away from the birth of their child, left the mother alone at a time of extreme stress and worry.

Its utter horseshit to dismiss this as "hindsight" and "nitpicking", those things were self-evidently inhumane and plenty of us said it at the time.

All the gaslighting in the world won't cover up how pathetic the response to covid was, like I said, all those zealots who piled on the bandwagon to isolate everything should hang their heads in shame.

Masks on toddlers for **** sake, what sort of piece of **** does that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Maybe the immunocompromised elderly and anyone else who wants should visors or clear masks. People who are still living in fear know what they have to do no fault of their own mind you I have a few fears myself but I am responsible for my own care.Nobody is stopping anyone from masking up or wearing visors.

But I'd prefer people don't push it on me. I'm good with personal space, always have been. Never liked crowding anyone's personal space since I was a kid nor did I like my personal space invaded.

I dance to my own tune.

You've repeated your concerns quite a lot Dohnjoe I think your message is clear enough. You're worried about your fellows, that's a good way to be obviously you have good intentions.

Some of us just don't worry about it anymore, we've had it up to here with covid.

Here I am posting about it,a contradiction I know but nobody really worries about it anymore. And the people who aren't worried are obviously confident that it's not as much as a threat as before.

Just keep on boosting if you're on the list of vulnerability. As for the more robust it's a gamble they're willing to take.

I wouldn't describe it as "very low", it was a leading cause of death, typically in the top 3. Indeed I would say many have underlying conditions, however there is a lot of obesity, asthma, diabetes, etc in all countries, it doesn't mean the death isn't any less tragic or that they were "on death's door". At the end of the day one in three hundred Americans dying to Covid in just over 2 years is still pretty significant.

So you genuinely hope that people experience a parent dying an agonizing death.

That's a horrible thing to hope for.

And then talk about compassion

I'd say they posted that and realized uhhhh ohhh I walked myself into that one.

That's what you're dealing with when people have no sense of self awareness. Wishing bad on anyone is as bad and low one can go.

My grandmother passed away with a chest infection back in 1989 I can still remember the head nurse telling me that when someone is old and their immunity isn't as strong as a young person anything can potentially kill them. I was absolutely distraught. How could a cold kill my granny. But people need to realize that we're absolutely powerless over life and death. When it's our time it's our time.

I compared Sweden to it's closest neighbours, which makes sense. They had more deaths than their neighbours. They later adopted measures and mandates. That all speaks for itself.

• Advertisement

According to the Chinese it was someone who collapsed and died in Wuhan back in January 2020.

You labelled me a Covid shill, genuine question, no need for innuendo, spit it out, what is that exactly?

Maybe the immunocompromised elderly and anyone else who wants should visors or clear masks. People who are still living in fear know what they have to do no fault of their own mind you I have a few fears myself but I am responsible for my own care.Nobody is stopping anyone from masking up or wearing visors.

You still don't get it. The elderly wearing masks does not protect them, it protects you. You not wearing a mask endangers them. Wearing a mask is a selfless act to protect others around you. Not wearing one is a middle finger to everyone around you. This has been documented so much over the last 3 years that it's hard to believe there are people still not getting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Dying 'with' and Dying 'of' ..... Totally totally different ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, there's random musing on an internet forum, and there's actions and deeds.

Whatever I post here is irrelevant outside boards.ie. People like you spent two years trying to undermine efforts to mitigate Covid and directly contributed to people dying, now you're pissing on their graves by saying "sure they would have died anyway".

Do you feel like you deserve compassion?

Spare me the faux outrage.

Most people understand masks and measures, but most people aren't compelled to write neutral opinions on anonymous internet forums.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I generally see healthy young individuals who lack potential comorbidities and are still worried about covid as victims of trauma. They are probably concerned for their own health or that or others, and earnestly so, but they are irrationally scared of this thing. They wouldn't be as concerned if there hadn't been a broad mass media campaign promoting hysteria, but I'm certainly emphatic towards that. I have distrusted the media for a long time and I recognise the full suite of tools at their disposal. Manufactured consent has changed since Chompsky's ironically excellent book, since big business and government became inherently intertwined. Being called political slurs needs to be recognised as the abject nonsense that it is, things might get more interesting once that happens. Don't hold yizzer breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

This has been the attitude of these people all along. As long as nobody dies from covid, fcuk everyone else.

What were those measures and mandates? Were they in any way comparable to ours?

I can’t agree or disagree because I haven’t researched it. I will do so & form an opinion on the subject then.

However, regardless of the outcome, I dare say being locked into their houses for several weeks running had a lot more affect on development than wearing a mask would have. The school they missed etc.

But yes the big bad masks were going to destroy all the childrens lives, of course, of course. In any case, it wouldn’t have made a difference anyway, seeing as the majority of adults and older kids (teenagers) they would have come into contact with wore masks. Or is it just their own facial expressions they need to see?

• Advertisement

How did he directly contribute to people dying? You see this is the type of utterly hysterical tripe we've had to listen to for 3 years now.

Important to remember they introduced measures when the pandemic broke, e.g. travel restrictions, bans on large gatherings, etc, but it was generally seen as more "lax" than most other countries. Later in the year and early the year after, they changed this policy and introduced mask mandates, vaccine passports, lockdown measures. Similar to ourselves and others. That first year they had a big spike in deaths compared to their nordic neighbours.

Their own independent commission was highly critical of their initial response to the pandemic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wearing a mask is hardly irrationally scared, as presuming they were out in public when you noticed this mask. Everyone to their own at this point but its not difficult to wear one, so using one is hardly irrational. The only ones I was ever concerned about were those wearing gloves in thier own cars or house but clearly having no understanding of why they or anyone else would wear gloves. It is irrational but I suspect it is more to do with either lack of education, or thinking it through or its simply a comfort blanket.

They never closed shops, pubs, clubs, gyms, cinemas, restaurants. They never stopped people going to the beach alone, they never imposed internal travel bans. Doesn't sound like a great lock down to me.

That's a riddle if I've ever read one, warping reality I see.

They got you really good there. Masks don't prevent or stop anything.

Do you realize the size of a virion and the ratio between a tennis net and shovel load of gravel throw at the net is the equivalent of the mesh in those mask's trying to stop a virion or millions of them.

Have you seen how a person can vape through those mask's ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Indeed, that was their decision, every country had different rules and takes and details. The purpose of a lockdown is not to "have a lockdown", it's the overall name for a very wide bunch of measures to reduce or curb the spread (typically occurring at peaks in a pandemic)

Some of them ended up being ridiculous due to a technicality, some I didn't agree with, some didn't go far enough. Decision-making on the fly for a population in a dynamic fluid situation is never going to be perfect, ever. It's difficult to do, I think most people understood this. Also many of the decisions were based on the potential risk, they couldn't wait for the hospitals to collapse nation-wide in order to decide to lockdown, they had to calculate what they thought the red lines were at that time, with the knowledge we had at that time.

Remember this wasn't "just" the Irish government, or "just" the UK government, it was governments all over the world independently making all these decisions in response to the pandemic.

I remember that, people were wearing gloves in the beginning because we didn't know everything about the disease and how it spread. We were disinfecting parcels, shopping bags, etc. There was even initial confusion over masks, because some thought the pathogens for the virus would simply pass through most masks. It was a learning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And Sweden's light touch approach was taken in the context of their neighbours imposing more stringent restrictions and fully locking down.

What would the consequences have been of a similar light touch in New York or Paris or London? Or continent wide?

Grim imo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Indeed. I get why Sweden tried it, they have a well educated population, they have a low population density, they have excellent healthcare, many factors in their favour, but indeed, at the end of the day, sadly, relatively more people died as a result. Their own analysis showed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I totally disagree with your comment that " masks don't prevent or stop anything". I am just clear today after 10 days of testing positive, and as I said in a previous post on this topic I am 100% certain that I contracted COVID because I was not wearing a mask. No one wil ever convince otherwise, because I know that it is true.

Advertisement