Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You aren't inconvenienced by rules you don't follow.

Circumventing rules then complaining about them not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd rather catch COVID every now and then than wear a mask all the time or even some of the time

The last 25 pages summed up in one sentence. Protecting others is utterly irrelevant for some people if it means even a minor inconvenience for them.

All this shyte about stats and science, it's all just about you and your selfishness.

Their results certainly didn't align with the behaviour they claimed.

People like that, given a choice between a) hundreds of other people dying agonising deaths or b) being able to go for pints and a batter sausage, they don't need to think twice.

It's the dressing it up with "science" pulled directly from Joe Rogan and Eddie Hobbs that makes me laugh.

Unfortunately the pandemic and more latterly the Ukrainian refugee situation has shown us how easily such people can be manipulated into dangerous directions by bad actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

We should all thank Tony Houlihan really, he nearly saved us all from getting Covid, granted we had to witness people dying on their own, limit funerals to 10 people, stop grand parents hugging their grand kids, cancel all kids activities and in person classrooms, cancel all adults social activities, close gyms and sporting venues, wear masks everywhere, socially distance, we had to run the gauntlet of mental health issues, destroyed business, lost jobs, social isolation, ignore all cancer and heart disease screenings resulting in a huge surge in excess deaths in all age groups and remove all civil liberties for much of the two year period for a virus we all ended up getting anyway at a cost of tens of billions to the taxpayer....but it was worth the shot right? Those who saw and predicted the futility of most of the above are selfish however!!!

• Advertisement

I like how your worried about people hugging grand kids. But not about them dying. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Wearing a mask does make a difference. People drive with a mask on because they've forgotten to take it off, have done it myself numerous times. It's a piece of paper or fabric that reduces the amount of aerosols and droplets flowing in and out of your nose/mouth. Which airborne viruses like Covid and flu spread on. Keyword: reduces. Nothing to do with politics, or world views or whatever.

It's just a mask, we've used them for well over a century, healthcare professionals use them all the time.

I'd rather catch COVID every now and then than wear a mask all the time or even some of the time.

Fine. I know this can be a difficult concept for some to comprehend, but this isn't all about oneself. If you e.g. go to your relatives and you have or have just had Covid, you'll wear a mask. If you have to go inside a hospital, full of people who know much, much, much more about viruses, pathogens and healthcare than you think you do, you'll wear a mask.

I like how you think health bureaucrats who have no problem leaving the elderly on trollies in a cold corridor for days on end have their best interest at heart....in fact, Tony told them not to leave their homes for months back between March-May...whose benefit was that for, the elderly or the health system?

I'm not a doctor or a bodyguard etc. It's not my job to protect people and I certainly don't expect anyone to protect me.

It's up to each of us individually to look after our own health and do what's necessary to look after ourselves.

And I take immuno suppressant meds so I don't say the above as a healthy 20 year old.

• Advertisement

To be clear, all these measures were never about preventing us from ever getting Covid. Tony Holohan never said that.

They were about "flattening the curve" (remember that) and preventing the health service from being overwhelmed as it would have been had we done nothing.

We got out of the worst of the pandemic faster and more easily than we could have hoped because scientists came up with the most effective vaccines ever in the shortest time ever. That served to make people think this wasn't really a big deal. It absolutely was.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I'd prefer not to be sick, obviously, but I would rather take my chances with the flu or covid that wear a mask.

Having had both the flu and covid this year, and having come out the far side of both intact, I believe my position on not wearing masks is vindicated.

Why wear a mask permanently or temporarily just in case I catch something that will have me up on blocks for just a few days?

Besides, why miss out on a few days sick from work 😉

Preventing people ending up on a trolley in the first place might be the place to start.

I'm curious what benefit's do you see for the health service in this worldwide conspiracy.

"...Why wear a mask permanently or temporarily just in case I catch something that will have me up on blocks for just a few days?..."

Its not about you.

If you don't rely on anyone where do you get the meds from....

You protect people all the time. If speed limits didn't exist would you speed past schools? No. When you are sick do you just sneeze openly over others? No. Indeed. you come across as a very self-centred self-absorbed individual, but you protect others around all the time without thinking.

It's up to each of us individually to look after our own health and do what's necessary to look after ourselves.

So if your mate who has an infectious disease, pops in and visits your grandparents, doesn't tell them about it, that's fine according to you, because he's taking care of his own health and that's all that matters?

I do remember "flattening the curve"...arguably the most anti scientific statement any health bureaucrat ever uttered!!! The curve flattens itself, as we have witnessed time and again over the last 3 years.

We were subjected to restrictions when the hospitals were at their emptiest in probably decades. (during the period May-Sept 2020) but sure who cares about that, we were all in it together...unless of course your business was destroyed or you suffered from mental health issues, or needed cancer or heart disease screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Poster doesn't care how many people died from covid, just that they died alone. Please.

Cares about a recent increase in excess deaths, the extent and causes of which are very much debateable - but not what deaths covid could have caused if left to run riot.

How the services could have been operated safely during the pandemic is not explained.

Pull the other one.

And had covid been left to run riot, what would have been the impact on businesses? The government put in place supports to help businesses. They could have just left them to their own devices while half their business disappeared as people's behaviour changed.

What would have been the impact on social isolation and mental health as people lost partners and loved ones to the disease? And health care workers saw services overwhelmed.

There was a world of difference between people getting the disease - early variants and unvaccinated, to the current circumstance. To present the situations as being the same and 'futile' is utterly disingenuous at best.

As for "Remove all civil liberties"? This post has left reality long behind and has entered some parallel universe.

To suggest "all civil liberties" were removed in Ireland is a base falsehood utterly without merit or foundation.

Nothing this poster says can be taken at face value.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

If we really want to go with prevention we need to stop going on about masks. We need to have regulations around air hygiene, compulsory for every workplace in the country. Proper ventilation and air filtration should be required by law. That would have a huge impact on the general health of the population. Messing around with masks is only a waste of time outside a pandemic.

I don't think it's a conspiracy...just too many health bureaucrats imposing nonsensical and ineffective policies. The same health bureaucrats who still haven't figured out where the virus originated!!!

So, should we encourage the elderly not to leave their homes every winter so as not to end up on a trolley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

But it is about me, you're trying to make me wear a mask, which I object to.

If you're a Vulnerable, protect yourself, but leave me out of this... stay away from me if you're expecting me to mask up for your convenience and peace of mind.

No one cared before covid, and no one cares now.

I'm sorry, I won't be engaging with a poster who believes Covid is worse than Cancer.

This exactly.

5M should not be subjected to something to make a small minority feel more comfortable.

Get healthy. Get a vaccine. Wear a mask yourself. Isolate yourself from society if you really wish.

There are so many options you have to protect yourself that doesn't involve impacting 5M people.

I explained why covid was treated as a greater threat to public health systems than cancer - ie an infectious disease which can surge in cases requiring hospitalisation and spread to staff.

Unable to respond to any of the points put to you resort to these tactics. Obvious smokescreen.

It's incredible.

There was one individual last year who had the basic concept (that children understand) explained to them a half dozen times by a half dozen posters and that individual still couldn't understand that it wasn't all about them.

In no world is Cancer even comparable to Covid, Cancer is one of the biggest killers in society, detecting and addressing cancer one of the biggest strains on the health system....due to our actions, a lot more excess death is going to be recorded across all age groups over the coming years, we are most likely already seeing the surge in excess deaths. (a 15% surge in excess death = 4,500 deaths above the norm in one year, we won't be too far off that figure)

Viral infections actually kill very few people year on year, Covid was marginally higher than normal. (I don't doubt that outside of the death rate, a lot of people suffered serious distress from the infection that you wouldn't ordinarily see with viral infections)

I don't wish to disengage with a poster, I seldom if ever avoid another poster or refuse to engage. But I have to draw a line.

Death is certainly inconvenient.

If you don't care about other people why should they care about your objections.

Unfortunately the majority disagreed with you. Democracy I guess.

• Advertisement

I explained why covid is a greater threat to public health systems ability to function. Cancer does not spread to staff. Cancer does not spread to other patients. Cancer does not surge to thousands of cases requiring hospitalisation in weeks.

It is why every major health authority in the world reacted as they did. Their actions speak louder than your falsehoods.

This is not debating in good faith and it is obvious the real reason you dont want to engage is I challenge such ridiculous claims as 'all civil liberties' being suspended and you know you cannot stand over them.

Advertisement