Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS2 to Arcade CRT

• 18-12-2022 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Bit of a long shot here and I'm not quite sure even what I am asking but I have a hankering to play light gun games.

I don't have an old CRT TV but I do have a nice 29 inch tri sync monitor in my arcade cabinet which has a VGA connection

How would I go about connecting my ps1 and PS2 consoles as I have the gun cons and games.

I don't think I'm looking for a "xx to jamma" solution. Rather disconnect my arcade monitor VGA from cab, connect to the consoles and use console controllers.

Purely just need the video side of things.

In the back of my mind is the sync video output too of the guncon connector. Did the PS2 gave a sync in green thing too?

Any steer here would be much appreciated. Ive been googling but haven't found anything that is making much sense as an obvious solution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dreamcast might be an easier one to try out first.

Does VGA natively so you could just get a cheap Dreamcast VGA cable and hook it up.

The guns only connect up to the controller ports, no need for that composite cable going to the guns as with PlayStations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks for the feedback oisin. Primarily interested in PS2 as it has a good selection of light gun games and I have the equipment and I don't a dreamcast.

Working on some potential solutions for the PS2 which are in the post. Will report back here if I have any luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Vampire night is worth a look if you get it all running

Thanks Tony. Yep, it's on the list and I used to have it on my PS2 back on the day.

Think my version was published by "Verbatim" if I remember correctly 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You might be able to get away with just cracking open a PS2 SCART cable (one with the csync tap on it) and wiring up the RGB-S signals directly to the DB15 input on the monitor.

Not sure if a video amplifier is needed with these monitors or not as they can handle the lower level VGA signals as well as the higher voltage RGB signals on arcade boards, if the picture is too dim without cranking up the brightness on the flyback then an amp is needed.

Audio amp still needed though, but at least the controls don't need any hacking about.

• Advertisement

Bish

Bash

Bosh

not sure how you embed YouTube these days

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

I have this exact problem but the guides I see use a raspberry pi or some bar thing. How does the method you are using work? Please explain and maybe make a guide? It seem you just converted the port to a VGA one? How would it work for hdmi?

Advertisement