Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wahoo X vs Zwift

Options
  • 18-12-2022 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Anyone using the Wahoo x platform for indoor training? I currently use Zwift and have for a few years. I like Zwift, but wouldn't mind trying something else over Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I use Wahoo X. Find it good. Got my first Smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr Core in Oct 2020 for Lockdown). I haven't tried Zwift but my impression is that it's more of a social media type influence in how it works with virtual racing etc. I had no interest in virtual racing.

Wahoo is developing all the time although the ability to load rides to your device for outside training on the road seems to be behind schedule (Although I did notice an Indoor / Outdoor selection option last week on a session so maybe it has been implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

was on RGT (wahoo X) since the start.

Great platform - zwift had already established a following here in Ireland so hard to get anyone to switch over.Really liked the way you could push gpx files and it would generate routes on screen

Once wahoo bought them and added all the crap i didn't need plus double the monthly sub,moved to Zwift where all the action is/friends are.

that and/or

https://trainerday.com/ - basic training app - 4euro pm great for pre race/event warmups on the turbo(phone app is great!)

Generate training plan based off FTP and historical strava data and pushes it to https://intervals.icu/ - (Think training peaks but free)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I see a few people use it on my feed. I'd be wary of committing too much upfront, given Wahoo's troubles.

I have tried zwift, and it was good over lockdowns, but my interest has wained and I stopped my sub. I did try a few workouts and wasn't a fan to be honest.

I still prefer TrainerRoad, which is bring your own entertainment to the party, but probably not something for an occasional use tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Regular Zwift user here but generally upload my own workouts from a coach to it from TP which can be done with any of these platforms I imagine.

The benefit of Zwift for me away from workouts is the group ride aspect. On bad weather days I can get a long spin in with chat via the app with other riders. Also the visual distraction helps me a lot during hard efforts during workouts.

Not tried Wahoo X yet nor likely too as trying to reduce subs currently without success 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Give the free RGT a go.

On the free version you can do every event, use a selected few workouts ( ftp test, endurance rides and a couple of interval sets) you can also free ride anytime on 2 of their courses.

I currently do not subscribe ( I subscribe to fulgaz) but I was a subscriber for 2 years. I put up a few roads including sections of the w200 which was great during lockdown. Was around 12 minutes faster on rgt than real life to baltinglass which I put down to descending a lot quicker than I would in reality and the lack of headwind but 12 minutes is close enough

Paid members can also organise group rides and races

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was paid on RGT for ages too from previous pretty much when it launched. I like aspects of it, I liked you could add roads. I got bored with it though and the wahoo deal saw them double the price. They have a strong community on facebook and possibly discord, but there's also a hell of a lot of gate keeping and self entitlement from some.

I think I got bored of turbo trainers altogether. I'd rather do a 1 hour slog in the mud around the park on the gravel/cross bike than be on the turbo again. I used to really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I have tried most of the online plaforms over the last 3 years and struggle to convince myself that a virtual world on a 14 inch screen is reality. So for me Zwift and RGT ultimatly leave me somewhat underwhelmed, I like workouts that (a) make you work and (b) have a bit of a storyline.

Wahoo Systm pretty much nails this, in particular the Sufferfest sessions. They are mostly high intensity sessions but there is always a good mix of race footage, humour and music. Surprisingly I often have a bit of a laugh which makes me want to come back. The other sessions I like are the 'On Location' series - these are guided rides though famous locations that are also pretty good workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm like lissard, the cartoon worlds never did much for me though I did dabble a bit with RGT but really if I cant ride outside in the countryside I'd like to ride inside looking at countryside, that might be a mountain somewhere or a flat bike path or something much more mixed. Currently for me FulGaz offers the best mix of value, experience and compatibility with my AppleTV and to be fair it mostly just works as advertised, my training advice comes from Xert and with the data fields running on my Garmin I can usually hit the numbers required without having to specifically load a workout (which can be done on Fulgaz if needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I think I'll try some of the others over the holiday period. I like Zwift, but I do remember liking the Tacx app when I bought a FluxS.

Advertisement