Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microwaves spuds. Any good?

• 18-12-2022 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I've seen this a lot on YouTube and random interweb recipe sites.

Do they actually come out alright? Like would they be nice and floury? If I'm just cooking for one it might be handier than boiling or steaming. Just put one massive spud into the microwave for 10 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭phormium

They come out fine, I've been doing this forever when I need just a couple of spuds, it's fine and fast for a few at most. Bit of trial and error needed on timing though, an over microwaved spud and you'll lose a good bit of the outside. They also really benefit from being left wrapped in a teatowel for couple of minutes when they come out to allow the heat even out. I would also usually turn them half way through. So I put in cleaned spud, give it about 4 mins or so, turn it, another couple of minutes then check with knife, stop cooking when there is no resistance but even if there is a little the resting time will finish the centre.

Be sure too to prick with a fork/knife as cleaning exploded cooked spud bits off inside of microwave is no fun, whole spud won't explode as such but little bits fly off as they heat if not pricked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I do it all the time , very handy

I do a tonne of stuff in the microwave .Fried eggs , scrambled eggs , soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

It's best to choose potatoes that are the same size, otherwise they come out fine. It's particularly suitable for floury potatoes because there's a reduced risk of overdoing them and causing them to collapse into mush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They are fine but it won't come out the same as a baked potato. More like something between a boiled potato and a baked one.

Advertisement