Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor Issue Help!

Options
  • 18-12-2022 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi was driving my case 1494 today and when I released the throttle she cut out and wouldn’t start. Got her in off the road and tried to start it a few minutes after and she started and revved but when revs when down she cut out. I thought it was diesel so refilled and bled the fuel system but still nothing. Tractor will turn over but won’t start. Anyone able to help or know what could be the problem. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Did you crack open one of the pipes at an injector while cranking after bleeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tibia

Fuel filter blocked? Try a new filter and bleed it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Might have been water in the bottom of the fuel filters which froze last week. The wax crystals need to be drained out of the filters.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Has it a glass bowl on the RHS of the engine? Clean out if full of dirt or water

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'd bleed the pipes at the injectors and see if diesel going that far. Change fuel filters. Clean lift pump bowl and fill diesel tank to top.

Bleed it right and try again.

Cold weather can cause a lot of water condensing internally.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Them Browns can be notoriously hard to start after any work on the fuel system. 9 times out of 10 they will start with a tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not familiar with those specifically but in general it could be as simple as a loose pipe letting in air somewhere.

Or fuel pump fecked

Check the dipstick too in case there is signs of water in it after the frost. Worst case scenario could be a crack in the engine block.....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Was just thinking this, they're a nightmare, we'd 2 here over the years and I wouldn't be a fan, new filter and give her a pull

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jack142

What’s the correct way to bleed them step by step

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have shop manual here for the David Brown series. I've a 995 myself.

Bleed as follows;

• On top of diesel filters there is a hex head bolt slightly to the left of the center of the filter. Marked '1' in the first pic.
    • There is bleed bolt on each filter top.
    • On the diesel pump there are 2 bleed screws shown as A and B in second pic.
    • Fill diesel tank and get 2nd person to continuously work lift pump. Start on filter nearest tank and open bolt till diesel comes out free of bubbles. Repeat on 2nd filter (on left as you look at them).
    • Then go to diesel pump and bleed screw B (low pressure) then screw A (high pressure).
    • All above is done without trying to start engine, lift pump used only.

If it doesn't start after above, follow fuel line from pump to injector and open connection at injector while turning over engine. It should start after a while .

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jack142

UPDATE: So tried bleeding her again and what I noticed when I opened the four injector pipes that there was no fuel coming to injectors. Opened the four pipes on the other side coming out of injector pump and no fuel coming out there either. No fuel at all coming out of injector pump from what I can see when using lift pump and when cranking the engine. Where do I go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there fuel going into the injector pump coming from the tank?

If there’s fuel going into the pump but not coming out of it then the pump could be blocked up with dirt or may be fcuked. You may need a new pump.

Is the tank full of diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Is there fuel coming out of lift pump? Some have a gauze inside that gets blocked. Some injector pumps also have a small gauze filter that can get blocked.

Don't know about your Case in particular, but small inline filters going in to pumps would not be unusual.

Advertisement