Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda vetting slow

• 19-12-2022 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

My Garda vetting has been "in progress", for the last four weeks according to the online tracking function. Is this normal? I've been vetted before and I don't think it took this long.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Its the new normal,lots of new airport workers are waiting up to 8 weeks to get the vetting cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭raheny red

Vetted twice recently. Back in August it took 2 weeks. A couple of weeks ago it took just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hyggggg

Any update on this? I've been waiting since November for a vetting to come through. It was sent for "extra checks" apparently. Bizarrely, I had a separate garda vetting done for a different organisation in December and it whizzed through and the vetting was completed in early January even though this was submitted well after the first vetting. Such an unpredictable process!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Nope. Still "in progress" 9 weeks later. I've emailed and got no reply, the phone number just leaves you on hold forever. The organisation I'm to work for enquired and were told nothing enlightening.

I had the exact same experience. Mine says "in progress" since December 5th, the application was submitted November 25th. Several prompts from the organisation to the vetting Bureau got us nowhere. In the end I gave up on this application as I thankfully had another role come along instead. Vetting went through no bother for that role. So unfair that people's lives can be held up in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi all. I’m struggling trying to understand the role of the children’s officer in the Garda vetting process.

from what I understand, the person to be vetted applies online, the children’s officer reviews & verifies the application, which validated the application.

1. Then If validated by the Club's Children Officer, the application is submitted to the Association Liaison Person who forwards the application between the Association and the Garda to the NVB.

who is the association liaison person?

is the association liaison person in the local GAA club?

im confused , any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The liaison person is usually the person you have sent the vetting application to in the organisation you are applying to. They can link with the Bearue on your behalf.

13 weeks now and my vetting still says "in progress"...unbelievable!

Mine finally came through at 12.5 weeks. Apparently after repeated enquiries from several parties.

Any indication of why they had to hold you up like that?

• Advertisement

No. My liason person said she was calling them and a few hours later it was done. No reason given for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JustSomeone3364

Late to the post, but did this eventually get resolved? If so, were you given a reason for the delay?

I'm in a similar situation: been waiting 15 weeks for garda vetting. I emailed the company I am getting vetted for, who emailed the garda vetting organistion, who replied with a generic reply along the lines of 'garda vetting is a complicated process composed of many different parts. We'll be in touch when the process is completed'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

If you have lived abroad or in Northern Ireland checks will take longer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

This is ridiculous! I recently got vetted and it took less than two weeks to come back. I was vetted in November and it took 12 days. I have only ever lived in Ireland though.

When recruiting in a previous role, we required applicants who had lived abroad to source police vetting from that country themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I had garda vetting done a few months ago, and it's only took a few working days. Also have only lived in Ireland and it was evetting. Great service. The onyl tracking made it very transparent and easy to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's how it works: Garda vetting does not cover periods the applicant lived overseas.

The guards prioritise vetting according to what suits them. Some are done quickly, if they want people appointed etc quickly. Some are long-fingered if the guards don't care, or want a role etc left vacant. Sometimes it's just random based on how many other applicants there are at the time.

I could easily source the records online within a few days (it would cost a bit, but I'd gladly do it for the sake of speeding the process along), but when I contacted them asking if this would help, they stated that all documents must be sourced internally, i.e. they have to get it themselves.

Although I can't be sure, my guess is like @Mrs OBumble said: they're not prioritising filling that position, and it makes little difference to them whether it's filled now or in 6 months. If that's the case, I'd just prefer to know, as I'm in an uncomfortable position now where I am searching for work, even though I have accepted a formal offer for a full time job that I could technically find out tomorrow that I start in 2 weeks.

It's been just under 4 months since I sent the vetting application, and over 15 weeks since the evetting was completed and the decision was viewed online. Exactly what has been happening behind the scenes in those 15 weeks, I'm not sure.

19 weeks since Garda vetting application was sent, still no response ...

Advertisement