Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint herd number / commercial vehicle

Options
  • 19-12-2022 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Going into a joint herd number next year with my father.

We have a landcruiser taxed for commercial through herd number.

Any way of getting a 2nd vehicle taxed commercially or limited at one?

Have to upgrade the car next year and was hoping to get a jeep but private tax would be a killer and don't think any landcruisers available privately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Unfortunately, seems to all depend on your local Motor Tax office. I’m in Galway and had no trouble taxing my Jeep Commercially without been asked for any back up etc, just had to put down my PPS nr. Then hear horror stories in other counties with them looking for PPS Nr’s of the lads you’re going to be carrying to work etc in the crewcab. Doesn’t make sense 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Here in Tipperary 3 years ago, they council wanted a copy of my notice of assessment from the revenue. Proof that I had commercial activity.

For the OP they only real way around it is to consider having a partnership for tax and herdnumber purposes. But before that I would be asking the question, does the farm really need to have say 2 landcruisers. How often are 2 4x4s needed. Do you have 2 trailers etc. With the running costs I would be leaning towards a 4x4 car/suv if needed. Between the commercial tax and doe, you are hitting €450 annually. A lot of the mid size SUVs are rated to pull nearly 2.5 ton

Another way is if you want a 4x4 is to consider a vintage one and have the cheap tax and insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

As far as I know its still at the discretion of the local tax office weather you qualify or not.

Some are very reasonable, like Galway, some not so.

I tried to get commercial tax in Longford tax office years ago and I wouldn't have got asked as many question if I was importing Semtex from the middle East.

Edit: already mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just as an add on the DIE( CVRT) is much harder to pass than the NCT.

LC are 28-32mpg (14-15l/100km). CVRT is 111 euro and 43.5 for a retest I think. NCT is a put half that.

I am running a Toyota Rav 2010. It cist me 7.2k three and half years ago( still worth that). It had 108k Mike's( UK import) I have put nearly 60k miles on it.

In three years I have other than servicing ( every 10 k miles) put a windscreen wiper motor, a pair of front shocks, replaced the brake disks and the replaced the EGR valve. Last couple of years it hauls 100+cattle between going to the factory or from the mart.

Buy a clean pre 2014 2.2 D and they are fairly bomb proof knock on wood.

It's a car version tax is 400 euro ( some are more expensive so check before buying

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement