Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheapest sim plan

• 19-12-2022 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Getting the 2 youngone's smartphones for xmas .This will be there 1st phone.I am wondering would vodafone be the best crowd to go with but I dont want to be forking out 20 euro/month for credit each.If you top up your vodafone phone with 10 euro can you still use it for data until credit runs out .I have fixed line broadband here at home so they would be using that while at home so just need it if they go out and about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

In my opinion, Vodafone has the best network and coverage but they are the most expensive. I run 5 various family sims. You need to consider coverage, not just price. I cannot see your location so if isolated, you need to do some testing.

I live in Dublin.

My GOMO sims (EIR) are bulletproof. I got in at the beginning and pay 9.99 a month for unlimited. Current price is 14.99 a month I think.

My 48 sim is 7.99 a month (original offer) It is on the 3 network. Doesnt work roaming, good for home use only. Current price 12.99 a month.

Lyca I dumped, cheap, but a pain in the pants. One price, but goes up. They do an annual price, add ons, etc etc, I dumped it.

3 themselves are advertsiing 15 euro a month, sim only at present. May be worth a look

Vodafone offer a "ryanair " offering now. They call it clearmobile. Unlimited but data pegged at 5mb DL speed

You need to decide considering your own circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone PAYG SIMs stay active with €5 top up every 8 months.

The cheapest way to use VF PAYG for low usage is to buy the 5GB add on for €5 / 28 days. There is also free webtext which allows sending SMS to any other mobile number from the VF website.

If you choose this option, make sure to disable data before top up, buy the add on via SMS, check balance is zero and that add on is active, then enable data and use for 28 days.

If data isn't disabled before top up and add on purchase, Vodafone will charge 1.99 for any data use up to 100MB and 2c per MB thereafter for every day on which any data is used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

You haven't said who your fixed line Broadband is with? If it is with Eir, they allow you to add Sim-only mobiles to your plan for €9.99pm each - "Unlimited" voice, text and data. This is the best SIM-only plan currently available. Since they are for kids, you may want to block any potential for out-of-bundle usage - like International calls & Premium rate - there are apps to do this. Alternatively, you could use GoMo for €14.99 per month - they have a nice feature that limits out-of-bundle usage to €30.

Advertisement