Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRINCE2® Foundation for 58 yo to start in PM?

• 19-12-2022 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I posted here a few months back about looking for career ideas. Very briefly I've been self employed in IT the last 25 years and had to close the business. Several suggested Project Management.

I've been looking at this course https://www.ecollege.ie/courses/prince2/ PRINCE2® Foundation.

Realistically would I get a job in PM with this? Naturally I'd progress onto the Practitioner Certificate at a later date, but would rather not put the time/money in until I feel there will be a benefit for doing so.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think you'd need the practitioner in order to go for work as a PM. I've done the Foundation myself and that seemed to be more geared towards people working in a team using that methodology rather than a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also, popular project management methodologies, at least for software are SCRUM and Scaled Agile ... so you might want to have a look at those ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

If you’re going to do a course, do a PMP prep course and get that qualification, it will open doors for you

• Registered Users Posts: 41 carlandlenny

I'm somewhat familiar with these (just in name that is) but to be honest I'd rather work outside of IT if possible. But I also know my options will be limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 AvaSatiVaLomu

Cavan Monaghan ETB do an Online Foundation + Practitioner course together OP. It's free to register, they even send you the PRINCE2 Handbook. You can sign up on FETCH courses. I'm in the middle of it now, the teacher is very good, it's run every Friday during the day over two months. You do Foundation first, then Practitioner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do you have any actual experience as a PM? And as a potential employer the big question would be why have you not already made the grade after 25 years in the industry? I think you'll need some very good cover letters and a lot of networking plus the qualification to land a good job in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think anyone who has worked in IT Development for a long time will have a lot project management experience. But I think these days companies and especially HR companies struggle where a person isn't an exact match for the role doing exactly the same job somewhere else. Formal qualifications and certifications help a bit.

I think contacting us a route I'd explore. Some short contracts would give you recent relevant experience and likely neither the employer or yourself need to commit to a long contract.

Hi, I just had a look at their site, can't see that course. Would they accept someone from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AvaSatiVaLomu

Yeah, it's all online so you can take it from anywhere in the country. DDLETB Loughlinstown run something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do a proper in class course. It's invaluable. Not just the theory but a lot of experience if the tutor knows the work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PRINCE really only makes sense if the entire organisation is working to the method. If the sponsor and board dont buy into it, you can’t do much as a PM.

Is there any opportunity for a PM role in your current organisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends on the funding stream.

If the OP pays the full price it won't be an issue. But if its even slightly subsidised, then each ETB's courses are only open to their own population.

I think if you are looking for a job a lot of places will look for it. Even if they don't use it.

A lot would look for PMI certification as the general qual.

Only look for Prince if they specifically need it.

Thanks for all the replies, TBH I'm at least as confused as before. If I get the vibe here correctly, Prince2 is not seen as a good qualification?

Nobody has addressed my age - if I was 30 I'd have no problem spending a few K on a PMI qualification. but is it a pipe dream to get into PM at my age?

A few posts seems to have not read my OP - there are no opportunities in my current company as a) I was self employed and b) the business is closed now. Someone asked my I didn't "make the grade" after 25 years - I was not trying to "make the grade", was doing other things!

Any qualification is better than no qualification.

Will it make a significant different to you, who knows. Can't hurt. I think you might get some personal positivity from it, and also a bit of networking never hurts either.

Prince II is a good qualification - if a company is using Prince II. But I don't think it, or indeed any cert, will get you a job without having experience.

You'll get no networking from an eCollege course, so it won't help with that.

Given your age, getting on to a CE scheme which wants a project manager is probably your best bet. They won't usually have PMs, but if you get to know some organisations that run schemes, you may be able to convince one to set up a position which suits you.

Generally when I've done these management courses (privately) even online there's a bit of interaction with other participants and you get a bit of information about other companies and organisations.

I've done other courses on eCollege and there were email groups and forums where people would chat.

Advertisement