Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festive 500 2022

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'm out again this year and didn't even manage a km. Went home for Christmas day and picked up a bug, dying now.

Good luck to everyone else working through it in the crap weather 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Today was a grand day for the shelter of a group ride! Bit damp but no cold at all. Banked an easy 110k after 125 yesterday in freezing conditions. 4 days left but tomorrow is looking a lot wetter. Thursday forecast is good though. Could come down to the wire! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Job done for this year, big Xmas block for me & still 3 spins left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Another 100km today has me over 400km, won't finish it tomorrow but hope to leave it small for Fri/Sat

Forecasters differ and cyclists hide! Feckin today was grand after all. I had it written off looking at rain radars. Yerra, I kinda needed a rest anyway. Tomorrow should have me to 400 and then one more club spin will drag me over the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't been on the bike since the 3rd - busy in work, then bad weather, and then the dose that was doing the rounds put paid to most of december for me. i suspect i'll barely make 50, let alone 500.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

😛

Meme was too good not to share!

*cycling is also a legit escape obvs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I enter this every year but I don't think I've ever completed it between family and work commitments. Out of the 8 days this year, I'm working 4 of them and my daughter's 21st is on New Year's Eve so that's 5 days out of the eight where I'm fairly limited. Nevertheless, I've managed to get to 457kms so far so if I throw an extra 1.5km on top of both commutes tomorrow I should be over the line in 7 days. Fingers crossed!

(All kms done on the actual road BTW - none of this turbo/Zwift shite bulimia for me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Managed the last 46KM of this today on Zwift to bring me over the 500 mark. Legs are really feeling all the KMs from the last week now. 363km out on the roads and 137 on Zwift. I will probably give it a bash again next year with the aim of reducing the indoor numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Got it finished today, all outside so happy enough with that. It was tough going this year compared to the last few, we never seemed to get a real break in the weather and for family reasons I had to front load it a bit so had a few hard days in a row, anyway it's done now, it's always a good investment in the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Home and hosed after tonight's commute - 501kms (and a day to spare). Agree with nilhg - it was a tough few days weather wise.

BBLLYeeuch. Worst day of the lot today! Just bad timing. Club spin that caught all the rain and 4 punctures in the first 15 mins. Got absolutely saturated. But no choice only plough on. Ended up on my own with 70 more km required. By then the rain had stopped, never to return and it was a grand day. Small comfort as I was wet through anyway but pedalled away, 502km when I got home and then a good hour washing bikes. That's enough now for one year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

A measly 67kn for me in two outings, but I did have covid and was isolating until the 28th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

I managed 504km... had to ride in the dark for half an hour on the last day to get over the line.

Then I got the flu and undid all of the good work. Can't remember being so sick previously. It floored me for a few days. Coming around very slowly since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I managed 120 km over 2 days then got a dose, chest infection, cough, fever and still not back on bike yet . 😫 out of action since St Stephen's Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

Managed 92k between 27th and 30th. One local spin and the adventure X. It was a huge improvement on the previous week, I'd put my back out.. and had only been out for a few spins around the block during the cold snap, so despite not getting out much over Christmas, to finish on a positive trend was great, and the legs didnt feel too bad either. Lesson learned there is that the little spins I did manage seemed to prevent the form deteriorating much.

Advertisement