Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I dont fancy getting some anti government, David Icke fanatic pregnant, life is hard enough at times, you dont want to make things a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

complex psychological disorders would be high in the arts community such as bipolar and bpd etc, hypersexuality is also common with such disorders, but of course come with their own set of problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Someone to fight this tyranny and have a good old laugh along the way.

You should have messaged her and let her know that she had a typo in her bio based on her photo - an extra "y" that shouldn't be there in that sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've chatted with a good few women on Hinge. It seems to be the only app I get matches on. I've never gotten anywhere with Tinder or Bumble.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Was thinking there, what kind of people would actually send her a message? it would make for a funny sitcom, you would probably get some really desperate guy who might give it a shot, it would be even funnier if he was everything she stands against but he pretends he is like her just to get the ride. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This happened me this morning after going on Tinder while I was drunk and hooking up with the local bike.(because everyone has had a go)

I joined these sites again a few months ago and it's been interesting. Been on them on and off over the years in between relationships and the whole online thing has changed SO much. It used to be a thing you wouldn't mention, like people would write on their profiles "willing to say we met in a bar." But it's become a normal everyday thing since the rise of Tinder, which has its pros and cons IMO. The pros being there are more potential matches. The cons being there are more potential messers. I still think it's a great way to meet people though. I think I'm a bit different in how I approach it though when I look at how my friends use it. I'd be slower to set up dates and wouldn't really be into chatting to lots of people at once, which has served me well in the past TBH as I only really met people I was sure enough about (as sure as you can be without meeting the person).

In other news, I came across someone I used to know and he had knocked a few years off his age. I had to actually do the math in my head for a second. I've heard of women doing that before but I didn't know it was a thing with guys really. I'm guessing people do it to get into that age bracket in searches, but wouldn't that be super awkward if you actually met the person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Nathan Slimy Quarterfinal

Hinge seems to be a place where women just put up holiday or hiking pics and not knowing its a dating app....bumble/tinder get a few matches but not as much since precovid

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Good call on the secret thing about meeting on a dating site.

I was warned. Now it's not a bother. Just be honest. Along with you mentioning knocking a few years off your life. Why? Great way to start a potential new relationship with lies.

Saw an ex on a site who said they were born in Dublin (cork isn't a suburb?).

I put up pictures of when I was 21 and got matches with 18 year old women. Met up with one of them and she was shocked she said your old enough to be my father. I said to her I just didn't shave for the past three weeks. And then to cover the beer belly I said my stomach swells from time to time it's a medical condition. Anyway it didn't go as I had planned. She took off so I went to the nearest pub and had a few pints complaining to who ever would listen to me about the youngsters these days.

I'm not sure I understand most of this.😂 Warned about what, the age thing? Also the guy I saw had knocked a few years off, not me.

I wouldn't have a problem with telling people I met someone on a dating site now, I'm just talking about how it was years ago.

Met up with one who had clearly been using pictures from ten years ago (she was a walking bag of insecurities). Kept her details saved as she went a bit nuts after I stopped seeing her and it was handy to keep track of the unhinged messages. Her WhatsApp profile picture magically transferred back to the outdated profile picture which was by now even further outdated. And then people wonder why nobody takes them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Beliefs say a lot about who somebody is as a person. I’d rather be single than with somebody that there was a complete incompatibility with.

Loads of men say ‘49’ when in their 50s, as they want to be able to match with younger women, many who have their upper age limit set to not go over 50. It doesn’t bother me as so many of them do it. It would only bother me if somebody kept up the lie and didn’t mention it.

Oh god, the hiking. I’ve never seen as many photos of people hiking as I have this past few months. It’s like a whole personality type now.

I don’t really get the reluctance to admit meeting via a dating app. I dated a guy for a few weeks and we got chatting to another couple in a pub and they asked how me met and I told them and when they left he asked me not to do that again. There were many reasons why I ended that thing, but that was one of them. I hate lying, it’s just not who I am.

• Advertisement

I don't know there is still a bit of stigma around about meeting on a dating site.

I forget the name of the guy but some dude back in the olden times who said it's ok to lie if it benefits the cause of the people the cock sucker called it the noble lie.

That's a curious one. I don't understand. Is it better to say we were locked in a pub and had a mooch?

More for the parents I think.

And bloody good for you for not being a liar. What a tangled web we weave...

I didn’t realise it was that common! My search is capped at 48 though (which is already 10+ years older) & I’m not sure how I’d respond in that situation. I think I’d be ok about it if they mentioned it right at the start, but not if it was after a few days of chatting. There’s a big age gap between myself and my last ex and I’d never have met him on a dating site because I just wouldn’t have matched with anyone his age.

Come to think of it, I’ve seen guys now and then who have “I’m 22, not 34”, or whatever, written in their bios.

What the hell would they set up an account at age 34 when they are 22. Missing out on all the hot 18 year olds looking for some ol' hag. It would be like throwing a banana down an alleyway.

I have mine set from 38-58. I should raise it higher as I never really date anyone under 45 anymore. Not likely to date anyone over 55 but left it a bit higher so as not to miss out as one never knows. Just to amuse myself I occasionally set my hinge as low as 20 just to see the likes that come in, but only for my own entertainment.

You're probably into the GILF's and the ones with more kids the better who never done their stretches after having the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Beliefs say nothing about a person. Your belief system is just a set of values that you enable your self control to be motivated by. By shunning someone for being skeptical about global warming you are closing yourself off to a potentially wonderful person. People who challenge norms or do things their own way are good people to be around. Why would you not be intrigued by someone who is happier challenging things that he does not believe? Would you prefer to be with someone who does not motivate you, or keep you properly aroused ... because they agree with your concept on something?

I would strive to involve your life with people who will make a difference to it. Otherwise you could end up settling for someone that offers you no intrigue or challenge. You won't progress with such a person, you might agree about things, but is that what you really want, to spend your life with someone who has the same viewpoint as your own on everything?

Sure you don't want to have a partner who you have nothing in common with, but you certainly shouldn't be sacrificing your love life because they acknowledge that global warming is a fairly new phenomenon and thus warrants further examination? That person might change their mind about their current opinion, what would you think about them then?

Never judge a book by its cover. Read a few chapters at least. If it is not fulfilling you fine, put it down, but the best parts of a good book are the elaborations and tangents that lie within, the bits even the critics pretend to have read and yet never have. Climb every mountain and swim every see Yellowlead, don't be feckless with your own opportunities by disregarding the opinions of someone else, no matter how ridiculous you think they might be. Some of the most ridiculous things I have seen materialise have been unfathomable only and instant before, there is magic everywhere, you just need to find it.

I have spent wonderful times of intense physicality with some of the greatest cretins the world has to offer, call me shallow all you like, but for me I have the ability to disregard someone's notions in exchange for a piece of their reality, all night long. You should never let an adverse opinion get in the way of enjoying your love life, never ever. You will only miss out on your own physical fulfillment and relinquish your chances of truly enjoying yourself. Be good to yourself, let other people show you the way, you don't have to be in control of everything, let loose, feel free, get laid baby.

Advertisement