Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Baasterd

Seem's an odd thing to say.

By eastern Europeans he probably means central Europeans like Polish etc while some might be old fashioned in the sense of cooking/cleaning I'd say not so much anymore those sort would never leave home these days and be shacked up at 18. Maybe he means more traditional on the whole courting thing...that would definitely be true...or maybe he just loves a good mass...the Polish love a good mass thats for sure. Or maybe he is just a Belgian weirdo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I am happy with the Belgian weirdo theory given I have unresolved issues with the last Belgian 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Baasterd

I tend to think that when someone says I don't to date xyz people its often a reflection that xyz people have rejected them in the past. Like when I was a young naïve lad I would tell the English and Scottish girls I don't like the Irish girls because they are too sarcastic or hard work :) I mean it worked well enough ha and there was an element of truth to it.

But it was largely due to the fact that when I was growing up in Ireland I found it difficult with the girls but that would have been more about me than them.

I'd say smalls red flag if a mature lad is still carrying on with this line tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Meetup.com sounds perfect, thanks for suggestion. i'd be more relaxed at that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnB86

Count yourself lucky. Most of the men of the dating apps are downlow gay men MSM. They are only on the apps to be seen on them, they only date women for a few months or for events to be seen doing so and a few want a baby mama scenario. That has become more popular since the pandemic. It's most likely nothing to do with you just the quality of men is on the decline and a lot of the online posers are just seeking a temporary beard not a girlfriend. You will find out that I'm telling the truth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ah shite, that profile could be mine except for the anti stuff and the cats. What do I do to make it more plausible?

Everyone loves the absolute feck out of saying they're into outdoors stuff, they want to live off the grid and all this shite but when push comes to shove they just want to stay in a nice warm bed with netflix and a jar of nutella

Meetup hasn't really recovered since covid. Loads of groups that were only meeting for nights out and stuff have gone (good riddance, most of the people in them were dull as dishwater) but the rest aren't doing too good either. I could put up some day walk to some famous place and probably get 20 or 30 people to show up but those are unlikely to mingle that much. For the magic to really happen you need a camping weekend and people are either too lazy or too chicken to go to those.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

You want to know the crap thing too about meetup? (Haha I recommended it before but here comes a downside). I actually organised events on it before - more recently a stand up comedy group. The last comedy night was great craic and I met some cool people there (but no women I fancied).

But to organise groups (I.e. be a meetup host) you have to pay 12 euro a month. I think that's a rip off - Why should you have to pay, when you are going to the trouble of organising events and bringing together? Then a bunch of people just turn up for free.

If you could organise events for free it would be great. I gave up that comedy group since, not worth the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Meetup was dead the last time I checked. I used to meet a lot of people through photography groups but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that now either. It's great to actually get out and meet people in person as opposed to the perpetual swiping and ghosting on the apps, but its just getting more and more difficult to organise anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Out of my last six matches Ive gotten one reply. I go through the trouble of looking through their profile and commenting on it to start conversations. When conversations do get started (after about 20 matches) and are going well I either get ghosted or unmatched. It could be my lack of profile but when I did put in the effort it was the same outcome or as some would state otherwise. I'm certain a very high percent are just time wasters. The women on here are the exception and are in the minority.

I’m sure he thinks it’s clever, but it just comes across as bitter to me, and the ‘ok bye’ rude. I would have otherwise likely swiped right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You're not alone. The vast majority of my matches make no effort with conversation, and the ones that have made the effort suddenly unmatched.

Anyway I think I'm going to take a break from the apps for a while. Now that we're into the summer I will try to get some photography events sorted as they were always a great way to meet people. I might even meet another hot conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I pay something like 26 dollars every 6 months. Know a lad who also has a group and he was being fleeced, so he set up an account based on some poor country and handed the group over to that account, now he probably pays around the same as me

I’ve paid for any of the meet up things I’ve gone to - but I had no idea organisers had to pay. I guess it’s not so bad if there are a few people organising as a group.

I must take another look at it - there was hardly any people (men in their 40s and 50s) that would be in my dating age range and I assumed it was all like that, but maybe it was the events I choose. I also went to an all women thing once and never again - the drama from one or two nut butters.

That's your own interpretation but most would see the factual humour in it.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends - I’ve sent it to a group of females and they were all of the same opinion as me, would not be right swiping on somebody who says ‘okay, bye’ - but look I’m sure they are plenty who would swipe as he was attractive apart from his lack of smiles. Maybe if he had been smiling in any of his photos it might have softened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

But you wouldn’t swipe right on a woman if she had a profile like that I guess.

I would. We'll all view it one way or another even though they're speaking facts so I wouldn't criticize them for that. I'm off now to watch the boring snooker :P

I wouldn't classify speaking the truth as unhinged. Right, I've just seen Yellow's above comment about not smiling so maybe there's some truth to it lol and now I'm looking at it in a totally different perspective.

I didnt mean that this guy was unhinged, but that I don’t have the same reservations some people have about others.

I have a date this eve. Just matched this morning and have barely chatted but feck it, it’s only down the road and I wasn’t doing much else. Well, I was going to work but that can wait for tomorrow!

It was from hinge of all places, was about to delete my profile as it seemed a bit of a dead zone in recent months. He might be too much of a hippie/leftie for me but I’m trying to be a little less judgemental….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I simply cannot state this strongly enough. Smiling and laughter, or any facial expression for that matter, makes a face about 200% more attractive !

The guy bottom left looks okay but very deadpan (about 60% of all OD profile pics in my experience) and if all your pics are like this why would anyone want to date someone who looks like they're no craic ? You don't have to be beaming your head off in every photo but one or two chirpy pics make all the difference.

Bottom right is better, but the two guys at the top look like a bit of fun!

And as for chin selfies...please - you don't deserve a partner if you're still using these on OD !

Even this hottie can't pull it off

Same guy... way better angle.

Just hold the phone at eye level. No-one cares what you're doing if you're worried about taking selfies in a public place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Well, it depends, what are you looking for: a fun date or a relationship? For me bottom right is the best. Above him, he looks like an idiot...

Advertisement