Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing gun with Club without license?

Options
  • 21-12-2022 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all,

I put a deposit on a .22 about 15 months ago, but getting nowhere chasing the guards for my license.

Membership fees are now due for the Gun Club and I haven't been once last year, my question is, can I have the firearm sent to the Gun Club and store it in a locker without being granted the license to use at the club?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do you mean an authorised range?

I only ask because a Gun club is usually referring to a club that hunts on lands and don't engage in target shooting at targets.

If it is a gun range then yes, if they have the facilities to store firearms then you can have the gun sent to the range, have it stored there, and use the firearm ONLY on the range without the need for a license.

The gun can never leave the range and you cannot take it home for any reason or use outside of the range.

It's all covered under section 2(4)(d) of the Principe act.

As for your license. You can find the email address for the firearms officer and Superintendent on the Garda website. Send and email to the Superintendent's office and CC the firearms officer. Explain the length of time the application has been in for, the lack of any response (granting or refusal) and then ask where the application is as it contains data protected information which is also covered by GDPR and if it's lost there are serious legal and financial consequences for the station.

Should get you a reply soon enough.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gordonfree333

Thank you very much!

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Would the club (or gun club ) need to have a fire arms dealer licence to host the gun at the range?

The range would need someone to hold an RFD license, yes.

I'm not being pedantic but a range is different to a club as mentioned above and I'm just making sure its clear that I'm referring to an authorised range, as per the meaning in the firearms act.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Not trying to hijack this subject but what authorised Rifle Ranges would you list as good in relation to centre-fire options..

Yes I know the Midlands is very large but where else would a fellow off-side a new CF rifle and keep it out of the red tape and away for the wife’s glare..

Also would would there be any restrictions on restricted items in such an arrangement..

Ie could a fellow have an 8mm Mauser in you opinion.. and just shoot it at the rage on Sundays etc etc

• Advertisement

Depends on what you want to do and what type of CF rifle you're shooting.

There are only two ranges that exceed 100 yards for centrefire (afaik) The Midlands and An Riocht.

SI 622/2011 makes it an offence to fire a HME rifle at a distance of less than 300 meters (not yards) so that means only these two ranges can accommodate such shooting. If you want to shoot further the. The Midlands is the only range that goes beyond 300 MTRS (out to 1,200 yards).

Now if you want to do gallery or such then a host of ranges offer suitable facilities and I'll leave the description of those ranges to those who are more knowledgeable than I.

Lastly with regard to 8mm rifles. Anything over 30cal (bolt action) is classed as restricted. No restricted firearm can be stored and shot in a range without a license. It's specifically mentioned in the firearms act in section 2(6) which states;

In subsections (3)(g) and (4) (other than paragraphs F22[…] (i) and (k)), references to a firearm or ammunition do not include references to a restricted firearm or restricted ammunition.

So even if you wanted to avoid the hassle of licensing a restricted firearm you could not shoot it, you still need the license.

Thanks for the detailed answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bosco105

8mm mauser is restricted, but you could be lucky to get it in 7.62, 6.5 x 55 swed, as Patrick O'Mahoney firearms in Kerry, and yes you can join his range for open sights classic shooting.

Kerry is a too far for me.. pity though..

Is there anything worth considering north of the boarder..

• Advertisement

Again depends on the type of shooting you want .

There are clay ranges and short range ranges (sub 100 yds) both rifle and pistol, with Ballykinler the only medium distance range but it's British army and I'm not sure of the arrangements for it.

Those with more experience can answer on specifics for different ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Muzzle energy in excess of 4,500 Joules

So likes of .338 Lapua Magnum. And some .300 Lapua Magnum rounds

High muzzle energy rifles as said above.

It may also include other 30 cal rifles such as 308 with the right round or hand loaded ammo. 300 wsm, 30-06 etc. Possibly using factory ammo like Superformance.

Advertisement