Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AAI club transfer

Options
  • 21-12-2022 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

If in an Athletics Ireland club and want to transfer to a different one using the AAi online portal in the first transfer window of 2023.. does anyone know the process or has gone through it?

Here's what I think it is:

1. For 2023 pay membership with new club which will register you with AAI for Yeh year. I'm assuming I don't have to register with club I'm leaving ?

2. Setup the transfer in the online portal once it becomes active in February/March.

3. Get approvals on both sides. Complete transfer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Why don’t you just talk to your current club to see if they would sign the transfer sheet? Think it’s needed either way or has that changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

That's correct, just make sure not to miss the window! It's not a great system for notifications around this but what happens is that come Feb/Mar you will have an extra option under the manage your membership feature in the portal to start the transfer. You setup the transfer yourself that way, it has to be approved by the outgoing club (you can train with either outgoing or incoming club or any AI club with permission fwiw once you have your membership paid). It would be worth notifying the secretaries in both clubs to have it on the radar so they don't miss it. Once approved by both clubs it will be approved by the county board secretary following the April board meeting. Your transfer will be completed at the end of April but afaik you cannot compete for your new club for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know for definite when a club transfer is effective from if it was submitted on the window that just closed? I've seen May 1st written for previous years but not sure if that's every year or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bike2wkr

Yes may 1st afaik. April is like a month where you can't run for either club. Maybe the old one but definitely not the new one.

If you compete during April I think you could compete as unattached but not certain about that. May the 1st is the first day you can compete for your new club....I think when competing as unattached you wear white singlet. I have been trying to search on the AAI site for definitive info but can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's the way it was when I transferred anyway - not sure if it's still the case but there used to be two transfer 'windows', April and September, during which you couldn't compete for either club while the transfer was in progress.

Edit: seems to still be the case, and the AI bylaws on transfers are here: https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/AAI_Bye_Laws_15_May_2021_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Thanks, was looking for something like that but couldn't find it.

May 1st it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Does anyone know if a transfer is needed if you haven't been a registered club member for a few years? I see this in the link above:

3. LAPSED MEMBERSHIP If between one and three full calendar years has elapsed since last registration a transfer application form must be completed and forwarded to the relevant county board of his previous club. 

so I'm assuming if it's over 3 years you can just join another club?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's the way I would interpret it and would just go ahead and join. The club you're joining would probably know the ropes about this anyway. Try to make sure the AAI doesn't try to assign you a new lifetime number, I assume you just give the old number to the new club.

Over 3 years and you can register with whomever you like and no transfer needed! Not sure if you will be given the same lifetime number though and different clubs have different membership systems I think but all eventually link in with AAI in someway. If you try log into https://membership.athleticsireland.ie/ and see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement