Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JOE DUFFY AIRSIDE TAKE ON LOTUS

• 21-12-2022 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭

Great to hear that Lotus are returning to ireland, it appears showroom will be on same site as JLR . As irish car buyers not really into sports cars , I would imagine they are relying on Lotus future SUV models to succeed.

Always found Joe Duffys JLR dealership a bit bland compared to its competitors , so Lotus will spruce things up a bit. If it wasnt for the supply troubles with new JLR vehicles , I would say Joe Duffy would have been afraid to upset JLR by taking on JLR and possible poaching possible I PACE sales.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Lofidelity

Hopefully they bring in some used Elise and Exige from the UK to fill up the showroom.

The new Emira coupe looks great, like a mini 458 or 488 Ferrari but they're 100k sterling so it's all about the electric suv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A lotus SUV? Colin Chapman will be spinning in his grave.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well, at least he'll have good company in Enzo Ferrari, Ferrucio Lamborghini and David Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Dont think it's the same David Brown ?

With post brexit duties and high emissions don't think used Lotus imports would be viable , you only have to look at porsches sales to see Irish buyers aren't into sports cars . Taycan, panamera and cayenne are what are selling

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Good to hear this. I knew a fella who worked for Linders when they had the franchise (for all I know he still does, ie work for Linders), I used to ask him whenever I met him if he got the opportunity to drive any of the Lotus cars, he said he was too tall to fit in any of them, lol.

• Advertisement

True but one could say the same of Aston, Ferrari, Porsche etc. Edit: just noticed Larbre already made same point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A Lambo and David Brown SUV wouldn't really break with their philosophy as both made agricultural machinery.

🙈🙉🙊

different david brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Mentioned this in the chat thread a while back. Showroom is built on the Swords site for a while but is still empty. Been listed on the Lotus site as a dealer for a couple of months now, be interesting to see when they get an Emira in how much it'll cost here

It's a corrugated building but presentable enough for temporary showroom . Big enough . Too risky building proper premises until they see how sales go .

Don't know what it is about Joe Duffy JLR but it garage doesn't feel classy more bland

• Advertisement

I've yet to see an Evora in Ireland let alone an Emira. Saw an Irish registered Espirit around 2012 or so on the N11 but they are a rare beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A few dealers seem to own a number of units in particular areas, guessing this is the lowest risk way of bringing in a niche brand in a country where the most exciting car someone will own is a 2 litre diesel.

Although if the likes of Subaru are still around, selling 20-30 cars nationwide annually then maybe it's not as expensive to keep a quiet showroom going.

You might want to take a look at the stocklist of Beshoffs and similar dealers, plenty of exotica round these days. Porsche sold 268 cars this year (2022) up to end of November granted a fair % of those are SUV's. That said Lotus is going to be niche at the best of times.

Most of the Porsche sold are electric or hybrid.

As said if it adds some much needed glamour to Joe Duffys jaguar land rover place then it has to be a good thing .

Johnson and Perrott in Cork much more impressive dealer and loads of landys in for servicing / repairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can’t see lotus being my much of a seller had sort of forgotten they still existed. Did some Chinese company buy them out. It’s still a big brand so there’s probably power in leveraging that

Appears they have an electric premium SUV on the horizon so that’s likely where the opportunity lies in the Irish market. Sounds like the Jaguar I pace

Geely also own volvo polestar and London taxis

the Eletre looks better in flesh than in photos but range supposed to be very poor .

Joe Duffy seem to be struggling to shift all the new models they have - electric and sports , no new cars listed as sold for last year - not even demo. model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We were there at the end of November, the sales fella in JLR said it wasn't open yet. Although it did look open

its been open a few months now , they are selling some used Mercs. and Teslas as well to bring in some showroom traffic.

• Advertisement

There’s new ones up on Carzone if you search for lotus. The new suv is big money €140k ish. Mad money

yep but they arent selling

They have slashed prices of electre by about €25k ! Surely they weren't making €25k profit per car ?

Hard to see why you would buy one over a porsche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

need to do a buy one get one free to shift one of those I reckon.

Check out the Harry’s garage review of one .
    Very poor car.

It's really s Chinese car with a lotus badge

Advertisement