Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Interference

• 21-12-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Situation:

• M/F currently pending divorce (no legal separation).
    • M currently living in rental accommodation, not considered a permanent address. Paying 50%+ of mortgage on family home, named on mortgage, paying maintenance, 100% home insurance, and 100% mortgage life insurance.
    • Family home is currently the address for M's business and personal post.
    • F still living in the family home. F has started returning M's business and personal post to sender ~ June 2022. M only became aware in ~ October 2022.
    • Is F entitled to do this?
    • One of M's children was previously dropping M's post to another address where it could be collected.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭feelings

Put a redirect on the post? Problem solved.

My instinctive reaction is: another man who leaves the family home! Will men stop being so utterly stupid at the most basic level of all? Hold on to the family home (until it's sold and you both go your own way financially) and hold on to the kids (until you get 50/50 shared parenting and not this joke "Joint Custody" of Irish law where the women keep full control). You're only feeding the female sense of entitlement and sexist arrogance, which Irish judges sanction in a hearbeat - now you've shown you can fund rented accommodation! (duh!) - unaccountable to any international legal watchdog due to the "In camera" rule in the egregiously secretive family law courts of the Republic of Ireland in 2022.

Move back into the family home. Today. And get deadly serious about ensuring your equal rights to the home and your children are fulfilled. This is a war, and as a man you are very much on the backfoot - even before you put yourself further on the backfoot by moving out of the family home.

Jesus, I despair at the stupidity of so many fathers. The most basic rule of all: Never leave the family home until it's sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭feelings

^^ while I agree with some of that lost2022, when you're in an abusive relationship, sometimes you have no choice but to leave. It's not out of stupidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭happybob

Seems you have a bit of an abusive streak to you. I'll leave you with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I don't believe you'd have any legal recourse (IANAL). There's an offence of mail interference, including delaying post, but establishing that you have a right to promptly receive mail at an address you're not resident at...

Regardless, a legal avenue is unlikely to be a sensible approach. Are you really planning to report your ex to the Gardaí over this if you do have a legal case? The practical solution is to get a PO box ASAP.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

This is being done for vindictive reasons only. There is a legal recourse, solicitor says interference with postal mail is a /serious/ problem. An application/motion could be made to the circuit court to have it dealt with (divorce is pending). My children are still at the address and have had no problem making the post available to me (dropping off to another address). The reason for not doing redirection or change of address is that I do not have certainty as to my current address. There is also a non-trivial cost involved because it involves both personal and business mail.

Nobody said anything about "promptly receive". The issue is that I do not receive it at all. This has caused me personal and business financial problems. As to "I don't believe", what you believe is not relevant. What you know is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

...yeah, legal advice is banned on boards. If you have a solicitor's advice, why are you here? And I didn't suggest either a redirection or a change to an uncertain address

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

You sound like you want to fight. An abusive trait. I didn't give legal advice, I communicated legal advice I had been given. And the reason for being here is that the process in family law and the courts is glacial. But, if you knew anything, you would know that. Probably best for you to stay out of the fray unless you have something concrete to add to a discussion other than nit picking.

Advertisement