Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Switches/Sockets

Options
  • 21-12-2022 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

We just moved to our first/new house and we would like to have some sockets/switches replaced. We want to replace sockets and add sockets that also have USB ports for charging and some light switches with dimmable switches.

Looking around i found that some electrical work needs to be carried out by an approved electrician (REC) who could also provide a certificate.

My question is, can i replace those on my own or do i need an approved electrician?

Many thanks and happy holidays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

replacing sockets and switches is considered minor works that you can do yourself

adding additional sockets may require a rec

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,791 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Make sure to match any dimmers with appropriate bulbs. A rheostatic dimmer is not suited to anything but incandescent or halogen bulbs, dimmable LEDs need modern dimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You're probably be better off getting a REC

Youre likely to have problems even though it's simple enough, loose connections after etc. , switches wired wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Congratulations on your new home btw. Wishing you health,happiness and great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bralend

Thank you very much

• Advertisement
Advertisement