Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

What a bizarre mix of music you seem to like! Busted, no less!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Well exactly. Knock Busted on the head and get your arse up to the Button Factory for Sprints and Cruel Sister!

Busted getting the curtain treatment

Sold out me hole

That's the best I've seen Sprints. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I know a lot of you OAP's don't like electronica but Overmono in Vicar Street tonight was a cathartic experience.

If the roof was their child they would have raised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

With a depressing inevitability i couldn't get into it at all. Think i might be ducking out on the Sprints fan club.

Tbf i'm not sure it was even all down to them, more my feelings towards the Irish scene in general. Do they all read from the same 'How to succeed in the music biz' manual? Especially the page that insists all acts must encourage audience participation, constantly engage with the crowd and indulge in showbiz theatrics. I'm sick of it. Walk on, say nothing, play your tunes and f#ck off again, job done. That's probably why i like Just Mustard more than the rest (well, except for Thumper. Who are probably the worst culprits but also have the best tunes). No pricking about with the Dundalk mob.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Ha! Don't ever change, Dreamweapon. I'd have bet the house on that review.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

A great gig in Galway. Not even close to being sold-out. The band genuinely sounded as good as ever...Bruce (for a man who never spoke on stage for 20 years) the de facto frontman now...And the new singer did alright too (even if there's a distinct whiff of Smashy'n Nicey off him, or some generic Top of the Pops presenter...). Audience, at a glance, was 87.3% male, with average age 54. We loved it. How dye get on in Dublin??

I know, hilarious right?😀 Maybe i just wasn't in the humour i dunno. Maybe i just can't get past her mullet or the guitarist's top-knot. These things matter!!!

Oh, and Bar Italia in the Workmans Club the other week were no great shakes either. Everytime a song sounded like it was about to lift off they'd stop. I know that's what the debut album is like but i thought they might stretch out the tunes live. Sadly not. Very frustrating. They weren't bad but it was fairly bog standard indie fare for most of it and certainly not deserving of any of the praise that's been lavished on them. My fellow companions were in agreement that it was ok/grand but not much better than that, so it wasn't just me this time. A surprisingly young and enthusiastic crowd in attendance. I expected it to be full of middle aged nerds!

Deathcrash (Workmans Cellar) the night before were more enjoyable although only played to about 30 people. Codeine, early Mogwai and Slint came to mind. The snare was way too loud though, obviously how they wanted it but it was too much. Decent support set from Of All Living Things.

Next up is Blood Red Shoes on Thursday in the Workmans Cellar. A band i've somehow managed to never see before.

***Actually, the next gig is Heavy Lungs tomorrow in the Grand Social. Good job i remembered!

Post edited by Dreamweapon on

• Advertisement

**** people constantly in and out would annoy ya

The Tyne weren't for me

Hanson were OK but disappointed they didn't do 'Penny and Me'. Long way from those long haired weirdos ha. They reedmed themselves during Busteds set

Busted were very good (my early 2000s teen sound be very angry at me now ha) but some load of shite been spoke by the band esp the late George Michael look of the Bass player. I actually forget how many well known tunes they had, 'Meet You There' was my favourite of the night. The guy on drums deserves a lot of plaudits for the amazing shift he put in. A lot of the lyrics are a little suspect but good night and nobody cared

Bittersweet playing Blink 182 over the PA at the end. Going to be a great gig when/if they reschedule

Next up is another 2000s MTV2/Q music era band in Arctic Monkeys

@PTH2009 Honest question; do you ever go to a small gig? An up and coming band? I genuinely can't see the appeal of all these enormo-shows you attend. I'm not having a go, you obviously enjoy them so fair enough, but i'm just curious.

Very rarely

I don't really listen to music radio so wouldn't be into up and coming stuff

Feel because it's a few hours trip each way to Dublin, seeing a 'big gig' makes it worth while. Obviously con is the ticket cost compared to 'smaller up and coming' artists

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

I agree re Bar Italia, it was good but you feel they've got another level in them that they never quite reached. My bigger gripe though was that they only played for 40/45 minutes (including 5 minutes of the guitarist breaking a string(?) and going off to fix it). They have 3 albums, and another one on the way next month so it's not like they're short of material.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sold out packed show in Dublin. Opium wouldn't be my favourite venue, if you're down the back - the sound is generally muffled and drowned out by "talkers". The band were excellent, great boisterous crowd - plenty of singing and the band seemed to be enjoying themselves. I hear ya about the "Smashy 'n' Nicey" stuff but it's harmless and the all around vibe was great. I could listen to Mark Brzezicki all night.

Heavy Lungs were pretty good in the Grand Social tonight. Nice blast of noise punk over a 55 minute set. Mates of Idles, i had seen HL once before supporting them in the Button Factory in 2018 and enjoyed them back then. Singer was out in the crowd a few times, i wasn't too keen when he was up in my grill and dancing around me but hey ho...! If you're an Idles fan and don't already know them check them out.

Shout out to the two support acts: Adore and Bucket. Both acts new to me but i'll be keeping an eye out. Unusually, both bands were 3-piece outfits. Adore provided decent indie pop with an impressive rhythm section. Bucket really struck a chord with me. Started out like the Oh Sees, threw some dance punk into the mix halfway through and ended sounding like Gilla Band. Loud, noisy and danceable at times.

Three good bands for €10. Excellent value for money 😁

Ha! Reminds me of those promos you see festivals put out (B&S being the guiltiest party) where you're thinking "was i at the same gig?"😀 Seems to be a thing now for bands to have someone out in the crowd/onstage filming and taking pics. Or maybe it's just Sprints and Thumper!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Bit late to this..

New Order were amazing last week . Loved the videos, lights , set and that we had plenty of standing room with less of the seating rammed in ..oh , and the fact that they just kept playing more and more , and loads of Joy Division , and stuff that they hadn't played last time at the Trinity gig .

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Trinity gig , prefer it location wise , but there were songs played at this concert that I haven't heard for years and I only realised that as I was hearing them.

The sound was a bit dodgy in the middle of the first half for us as we were at the back , but picked up and last half was excellent . Think it was bouncing a bit at the back with it open to the bar area , have found that at mainly standing concerts at 3 arena before . Sound is better when the back area is curtained off but down side is less standing room .

They could probably play again in another 2/3 years and have a different setlist again ..so much great music for them to pick from .

Great crowd at the back, all oldies, dancing and loving it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Next up for me is a four way headliner show in the Mandela Hall in Belfast on Friday night. New Pagans, Rews, Amy Montgomery and The Bonnevilles.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Friday, Paul Carrack in Manchester

Had seen him do a short set at the Music for the Marsden event in 2020, but was very pleasantly surprise with the quality of output and breadth musical talent in this full set

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saturday it was Whitley Bay for a Little bit of Soap, delivered Under the Moon of Love

A "feel good" show performed by a band who did not mind taking a bit of the micky out of themselves

Post edited by Beasty on

Sunday, and the man now styled as the GOMOR. The Grand Old Man Of Rock, Francis Rossi in Scarborough

The same format I had seen earlier in the year, but this one was better. less scripted and really engaging with the audience. he even caught me glancing down at my watch and copied my head and hand movement

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ekkinak

Haircut One Hundred in Vicar Street last night. Brilliant

And then onto Monday and the London Palladium for the second of two nights from Roger Waters and his Dark Side of the Moon reflux....

There had been reviews of the first night that were not particularly complimentary. Forrtunately we only got the story of his duck named Donald from his memoirs. The previous night they had 3 "stories" lasting about an hour

We got a couple of songs in the first half, and then the full "redux" version of Dark Side of the Moon in the second half. I had seen him a couple of times in front of 10-20k audiences earlier in the year when he put on excellent performances. This was like chalk and cheese. I do not think there was any real improvement on the original, and he failed to address the most fundamantal issue with the 1973 version. He claims to be an intellectual artist but cannot accept there is no "dark side" of the moon....

We received emails a week before telling us our phones and any other recording equipment had to be placed in the new Yondr pouches. Not an issue per se, but it is something I think they should have told us when selling tickets as I might not have put so much effort in getting into the 5th row. In fact a guy next to me had picked up a ticket earlier in the day. There were 3 empty seats in the row in front of me, another beside me, and another behind me. I suspect some had not turned up after the reviews of the first night.He deliberately did not get political, and thanked Andrew Lloyd Webber for ignoring calls from Jewish activists to cancel the show (Lloyd Webber owns the Palladium)

On the first night he ran over by about an hour. On Monday he was on 20 minutes or so after the advertised time, and probably ran over by around 40 minutes. The timings are very rough as my watch which is only smart enough to record my heart rate and step count was considered offensice and despatched to the Yondr pouch

This was supposed to be the highlight of this road trip, but Francis Rossi, the GOMOR, put the ROGOR (Right Old Git Of Rock) in the shade

No pictures from Monday, but here's one I took earlier

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EGBDF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Talk about timing, we are going over to see the 49ers at the end of the month and heading to LA for a week after the game. We were thinking about going to see Kiss in the Hollywood Bowl until GNR announced two nights. I got two this morning through the Nightrain pre-sale. Looking forward to seeing The Black Keys who are supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

U2 in the sphere from Wednesday night.

A great show and a very enthusiastic audience.

Venue is just out of this world of course, impossible to describe the scale of it.

The 3 arena will feel like vicar st from now on!

CPL 593H

Advertisement