Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Big Thief at the Hammersmith Apollo last week. Despite promoting a 20 track recent album, they had 5 new tracks in the setlist as well as a couple of Adrienne Lenker solo tunes (admittedly BT are basically a vehicle for Lenker anyway). Looking at setlist.fm for the tour they appear to have played virtually every track on all their albums, about 30 new songs and a bunch of Lenker and Buck Meek solo tunes, no two setlists even similar, their creativity is phenomenal. Anyway, they were brilliant:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had the pleasure of seeing Paul Brady in the Theatre Royal Waterford last night. Blown away with how good he was, so many recognisable songs and a lot less depressing than I thought

Next up Bruce Springsteen in a few hours

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wednesday, and Francis Rossi Tunes & Chat in Leicester

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thursday and Midge in Truro

Sunday, The Boss at the RDS

• Advertisement

The boss in the RDS

Never expected to be at the 3Arena last night but my daughter splitting from her boyfriend meant there was a spare ticket and a need for a lift from the south coast to Dublin. Hence I got to experience Post Malone. Not someone I would ever have gone out of my way to see normally, and the only others even approaching my age were members of staff. However it was a bit of a pleasant surprise, as was seeing so many youngsters enjoying themselves. I was up in the seats as my daughter would not have seen much at all if she was in the standing section. Mr Malone was quite photogenic though even from afar....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Frank Turner and the interrupters on maybe the most amazing venue I've ever seen.

Yes that is the Brooklyn bridge in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

71 year old Chrissie Hynde last night in Cyprus Avenue, played just a few hits, but very impressive, a water tight band and a superb lead guitarist.

....and from the other side of the stage

• Advertisement

And from the Well in Dublin the previous night

Alas 40+ years has had a similar effect on his hairline as my own. A Time Warp from Leeds, 10 February 1983

Great night at the legendary John Fogerty In The 3Arena 'He Got His Songs Back'. The cheap seats werent bad

Cork last night

must add them to the gig list for the future, sadly € a bit low to make one of the shows this year. How were 'Tigertailz' ? Think they have a new guy on vocals

Never heard of Tigertailz before, but they were excellent. I had seen Winger had supported the British leg and I had not realised they were not playing the NI/ROI gigs. Had seen 2 of Winger as part of Alice Cooper's band in 1986.

Wasn't sure what to expect with Steel Panther but the show they put on was brilliant. Maybe stuff that would wind up some of the wokes of this world, and maybe as much a comedy act as a heavy metal band, but they did both to great effect. I guess I was one of the older ones in attendance. As they were about to play 1987 they asked who had been around in the 80's and before I had chance to raise my hand they were pointing to me saying "this guy clearly was"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I would be pretty "woke" and I like Steel Panther, would love to be going to Dublin to see them tonight but can't afford it.

Next gig for me is the Rory Gallagher festival Friday, going to see Eric Gales specifically, he put on a great show there last year.

My next gig is supposed to be Roger Waters in Glasgow next weekend

Hopefully he'll be out on bail from whichever German jail they may be taking him to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

1st of 2 gigs at Marquee last night, excellent gig:

Roger Waters in Glasgow last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Great shot Beasty.

Just landed in Glasgow, I'll be there tonight!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Sparks

Royal Albert Hall 30/5/23

CPL 593H

Roger Waters Glasgow 03/06/23

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

OMD and Sophie Ellis-Bextor in St. Anne's Park last night.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Sophie better than I expected. Soft Cell worse than I thought

Soft Cell were desperate, I left after Tainted Love.

Enjoyed OMD though.

Sophie Ellis Bexter is still a very attractive woman, aged very gracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Tainted Love was their 3rd last song I think. Soft Cell had no band, backing tracks essentially. A rip off. Crowd weren't really into it.

I've seen OMD quite a few times, their vocals weren't brilliant but they were good.

Sophie looks fab, she was a really good entertainer

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Soft Cell were far too ambitious for an outdoor show and for that size venue. "Brutal," "Very poor," "Dad dancing" and "Like watching paint dry" were some comments on Twitter.

Several people commented that they left early. Others remarked that OMD should have been the headliner. 

Sophie Ellis-Bextor (added to the bill a few months after it went on sale) might have seemed the odd one out, but was an inspired addition. 

OMD never fail to deliver. Essentially a greatest hits set, with Andy McCluskey selling it to the back of the park. Impossible to follow.

Soft Cell (though without David Ball, they were Soft Cell in name only) just didn't work. Obviously, they have a fanbase, but it was clear that, despite their headline status, a lot of people were there for the collective bill and had no specific interest in - or awareness of - Soft Cell's catalogue, other than Tainted Love and Say Hello, Wave Goodbye. The set was so unengaging, some didn't even stick around for those.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Did ya 'Say Hello Wave Goodbye'

I'll get my coat

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Good, I thought it was just me - Soft Cell very underwhelming. Enjoyed OMD & SEB.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Advertisement

Roger Waters in Glasgow last night

Think he recognised me from the night before in this one😀

I know they asked people to turn their phones off, but there were others taking photos......

Advertisement