Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luxury hotel suggestions for a couple

• 21-12-2022 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭batman1

Would love to hear any suggestions or experience in luxury hotels for a 5 star week away for a wedding anniversary.

Was looking at Greece or the canaries maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

What time of year and what are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭batman1

Maybe should've said...oops!

Thinking early/mid May or could be early April.

A hotel/resort with a touch of luxury for a special occasion , sun , and chill time.

• You’ll likely get more bang for your buck in Greece than Canaries. Was in Rhodes in July, stayed in a bargain basement very clean & well run hotel myself, but when I visited Rhodes Town I thought the lovely posh strip of hotels by the shingle town beach looked very nice indeed. Lovely old town and harbour, lots of nice boat trips to be enjoyed.

If you want something fairly unique in Canaries you could try La Palma Island (active volcano!) but would have to get a short connecting flight with Binter Canaries from Tenerife

You could try Madeira which has a selection of 5 star hotels including the famous Reid’s Palace.

Morocco is another choice, I believe Essouira & resorts other than the more or less purpose built Agadir are nice.

Sardinia is another very nice option with lovely beaches, with a new Aer Lingus route to Olbia near the posh resort of Costa Smeralda.

Croatia has a lovely indented coastline with islands, and a selection of 5 star hotels.

Bit early in the year for Bulgaria, I think, but you get great bang for your buck there, and there are some quieter more upmarket resorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭mrskinner

Abama Tenerife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Negresco Nice, South of France. Oui s'il vous plait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭batman1

While the hotel looks lovely, I was in the south of France this year...not sure I'd go back. Lovely place but found it expensive, and the natives almost go out of their way to be unpleasant , assuming us to be British. On several occasions they changed completely when the actually conversed and found out we were Irish.

Northwest or western France is a much nicer experience, they're a bit more Celtic🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Everyone's experience is different when away, it depends on lots of things.

I like the South of France particularly the Aude Region from Carcassonne south to the little towns in the foothills of the Pyrenees, then across to the East and Perpignan etc. I like the buzz of Nice and the surrounding areas. I don't like the beach lifestyle though so stick to the city and places up and down the coast using the brilliant rail line that goes up and down. The weekly market in Ventigmilia Italy is a hoot. So different from France just across the border.

I only stayed in Negresco once for a special roundy birthday. It was something else, bit out of my league, but that's what these luxury places do. I was petrified I was going to pull the snow white tablecloth with me when getting up from the table, things like that. But the staff were great and not snooty at all. People watching was something else.

Anyway I speak French and a bit of Italian so maybe that makes a difference, it certainly helps anyway. The French are fine as long as you say "bonjour" and fire away in English if that's all you've got. The culture requires hello and Bon Journee, and Bon Appetit, and Merci, just like us I suppose.

Ireland is very expensive also. Doesn't stop tourists coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

Interested to know if you booked anywhere. I have a few suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Greece and Canaries are very different holiday experiences and for a wedding anniversary, you will probably want somewhere less family-friendly (no kids doing cannonballs in the pool!) so that would rule out the Canaries for me.

For Greece, I really like Crete and especially Chania.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

Some luxury hotels in Costa Adeje in Tenerife

Makarska in Croatia is beautiful and romantic - meteor hotel

Cascais (beach resort ) near Lisbon is very romantic and has luxury hotels

• Advertisement

• Hotel Hacienda de Abajo

Tazacorte, La Palma, Canary Islands

Looks very romantic, though expensive. The island is very different from mainstream Canary Islands, and can be reached by a short flight from Tenerife. It is not an island of resorts, apart from two tiny ones, but for walks, nature, visiting authentic Canarian villages, the crafts school, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lindos Grand Resort and Spa in Rhodes is stunning, massive infinity pool overlooking Lindos bay and the acropolis, 5 star no kids etc.

We stayed here last may and got married in Lindos, it was amazing, you should get a week in May/June for 2k or less

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Discod

Amalfi coast, like Ravello, Minori

Advertisement