Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my car worth fixing??

• 21-12-2022 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11 Mcontv

I have a 09 ford galaxy we have it for 3 years now replaced the gear box 7 months ago.my wife needs a 7 seater as we have a large family.the timing belt went there is 20000miles on the clock it will cost 2k to 2.5k to redo the engine should I scrap it and start again and try find another galaxy for around the 3k mark?? #bangernomics

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What general condition is the car in? How long for NCT left, are tyres coming up to replacement?

€3k won't get a whole lot nowadays, could be better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mcontv

Car was going great we never had any trouble other than replacing the gear box.The tyres are all good nct is just out! It will need a new back box. Over all condition of the car is good for a 09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you can afford to spend more than its worth on a replacement, then its not worth fixing.

If you cannot, then you don't really have a choice.

Used car prices are absolutely eye watering at the moment, terrible value for a punter. You'll spend 40% more than any car is worth to buy it.

My wifes car could use changing, but I'm not going to do it. Rather than spend 10k changing it, I'll spend 2k to sort the niggles and see where the market is in another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

How much are the repairs?

How much will an equivalent replacement car cost?

Will it be ok?

How much to get the equivalent to what you need/want?

Post edited by Grolschevik on

The market and high prices for used cars are here for good. We can't import cars anymore from UK and we don't buy enough new to have a decent stock of used, simple supply and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

Is it 1.8 tdci ?

It is 2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

Looking at prices on donedeal 3K will only get you the same car as you currently have if your lucky. Most at that price seem to have the 1.8 engine.

I was in the same situation with a 09 octavia last christmas. Spend 2k on repairs or buy another Octavia of the same year. I ended up getting it fixed as it was an upper spec model and i knew its history. Its going great since, passed NCT first time too which was a nice surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Thats a common engine in a lot Mondeo's, S-Max, Focus and potentially some PSA cars. I would rather than paying somebody to recondition the engine, be ringing scrapyards to see if anybody has a second-hand engine which should be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

In fairness 20000 miles is very low mileage for a 2009 Ford Galaxy.

Given that mileage I'd say its worth spending the €2 - €2.5k outlay.

Shocking that the gearbox gave up in a car with that low mileage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I was assuming it was a typo and is at 200k miles. 20k in 13 years wow, you'd cycle more lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ah, ok. I was thinking it was extremely low mileage for the type of car in particular. Throws a different spin on if that's the case. OP may clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm in the market for a new car but their is very little interesting cars for sale. The choice is an overpriced German diesel or underpowered SUV shitbox.

🙈🙉🙊

Sorry it was a typo it has 200.000 miles on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Used car prices are well off their August peak , ignore asking prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rebuilding an engine after a timing belt failure very often leads to more issues. Do you have a good mechanic who you trust to do it properly and in a reasonable timeframe?

Replacing the engine could be a safer bet but then it's no longer the devil you know...

Advertisement