Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hooker: Has It Changed

Options
  • 22-12-2022 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭

Back in the day (10 years ago) I was a big fan of Galway hooker. Even as recent as 2017 or 2018 I picked up a few bottles and quite enjoyed them. Yesterday I was back in Galway for a flying visit so took the opportunity to catch up with an old friend. Turns out that friend had kind of moved on and I wasn’t prepared! The beer served hoppier. I’m not a fan of hoppy beers so it really wasn’t to my taste. Now I know they have other varieties besides tge regular hooker pale ale so maybe the establishment I was in didn’t give RTD full info. I ordered hooker but I got quite a hoppy beer with a lighter colour than I remember.

hooker always reminded me of Sam Adams. This definitely wasn’t Sam substitute. At heart I’m a stout/porter/red ale guy so you might understand why a hoppy beer wouldn’t be my thing. Just corps of they’ve changed the recipe to jerk up with the hoppy crowd or just to modernise. Or did I get a beer from their range that wasn’t their core brew?

Comments

Advertisement