Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand work placement

• 22-12-2022 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey all has anyone on here been to New Zealand for dairy work ? Hoping to go over next summer and was just wondering if anyone on here could point me in the direction of maybe a recruitment agencie our along those lines got caught in scam one time trying to go to Canada a few years back so trying to be on the safe side thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

What kind of work?? I’ve a brother with a dairy in north island

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Farmhand285

Dairy work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you got onto a placement officer at any of the Ag colleges they would have contacts for recruitment agencies as they would be dealing with them regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was there a few years ago and I have to say I wasn't impressed, bobby calves, outwintering cows ,short gestation semen !!!!!! very short in fact

And because the farms were changing tenants every few years, farm maintenance was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I went through New Zealand Dairy Careers myself a few years as it was included in the Scholarship i recieved, if i was going back in time i would have went with a contact i had made from working here beforehand. Agencies generally speaking are looking for green enough candidates to go over and swing cups and if you have a bit of a go about you youre a great chap and a breath of fresh air for the farmers and the agency. What are youre plans for the next few years are you coming home to milk cows at the end of the year there or whats the go? Youll never get an opportunity to live and work in a beautiful country like New Zealand again in youre lifetime as you will on the working holiday visa. It would be a shame to go out there for the year to milk cows through the whole season and come home to face back into it again all over again. The whole country is reliant on the primary industries out there so there is plenty of options to work and travel around the whole country maybe do calving in Canterbury then join a silage crew somewhere in the South Island and finish up at the maize harvest in the North Island and whatever else in between work on a deer farm or even head to Marlborough and go drive a little compact tractor on a vineyard you definitely wouldnt get the same craic on a dairy farm as a vineyard full of other backpackers. A beautiful country and would be a nice place to settle however i left it after 7/8 months because i felt i had gotten shafted with the job i got for what skills i had however i went across the ditch to OZ and living a transient lifestyle across the country whereas in NZ i had only left Canterbury once in my time there at the time.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I was never there myself but I have a kiwi living with me, they have a few farms on the north island around Wickato. I could put ye in contact. Plenty of my friends went out driving machinery and loved the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,462 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Waikato?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

yeah, that place, auto correct is a divil 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Farmhand285

Thanks David he feirce helpful If you could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

An unwanted expense.

They kill the dairy bred bull calves shortly after birth as they're not worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

If your not sorted Send me on a pm have a good few contacts for progressive irish farmers out there that take on irish students from time to time . Spent 6 years out there myself it's a great place to learn alot in a short period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Correct me if I'm wrong but why do smart fellas go out to NZ to become slaves for nz farmers milking 900 cows

I had some craic when i was out there to be fair but it was the life outside the farmgate that made it for me. Modern day slavery is all it really was to be fair, first three mornings cups on at 330am, second three mornings in the paddock for 300am at the latest and the last three mornings out for 700am and youd rarely be in before 1800pm any of the days granted we had a long break between milkings which the kiwis loved and i hated. All for the equivalent of €350/week at the time.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hard to fathom Irish lads love affair with new zealand considering the wages you'll get in Australia in dairy, was coming out with 1700 dollars a week after tax with house and jeep provided back in 2011/12 granted was working 85 plus hours a week but was on a hourly rate so I wasn't caught on a salary, exchange rate was up in 70's at the time so Irish take home pay was 1200 euro a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The opportunity to share farm is an attraction to some, I met farmers that started out there with nothing and built up to having there own herd. They would be expecting to be moving with their own herd to bigger enterprises every four years or so.

But they really sold their soul to milking cows, there was a day every year called gypsy day when they'd move the cows to the next farm, some even had to move their houses too, but every share farmer moved the same date.

Ended up getting $28/hr free house and every hour under the sun in Tasmania myself before finishing out there, labourers in Sydney at the time were getting the same rate but with penalties but i reckon i was coming out better than them still. Just had a quick look at a few payslips from there i was avg $1500/week after tax compared to $1385/fortnight in NZ.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I could never understand it either. Especially if your from a dairy farm and plan to go milking when you return home. Try something else

• Advertisement
Advertisement