Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year upon us - what are you hoping for?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

And the Fiat?

Goals for this year is to get a passport and go for a holiday. Will be 25 years hitched.

Farm wise, wood chip pad for dry cows, coco permitting.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

For 2021 we wanted to build up our campervan and get it on the road. We got that done and had a few lovely trips already. Inside needs painting and dressing but it’s all functional.

Were in a messy inheritance situation on her home place. It’s a total mess. Last two Christmas she lost her brother 55 with no will, then sister 52 with no will. The goal is to hold onto the essentially derelict home house and a few acres but it will be hard. We’re not borrowing to keep land, it’s not worth it, it’s great land but part time farming doesn’t make the repayments and we refuse to put off farm wages into farming. We need this sorted this year

home farm here keep going same as and paint some sheds.

get away lots in campervan, finish the interior decoration.

Land & inheritance are always great craic when ya get into the weeds, best of luck with it 👍

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Inheritance is messy at the best of times. Had a water situation here this year, the seeds of which were sown 30 years ago when my grandfather divided up the place between his sons.

There’s never an issue until there’s an issue!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Last years list:

• 1. Get moved into the new house, We went sale agreed in August but still waiting to complete. (Moved in since may but found a lot of gremlins in the roof and ended up reroofing which decimated our savings).
    • 2 Get some fencing done at the new place and also finish the last part left to be done in the home place. (Didnt get much of this done due to above)
    • 3.Get better at Grazing and stop letting grass get too strong ahead of sheep. Need to figure out when to graze and when to move on etc. (Am getting better at this now.)

This years list:

1. Fencing & handling: want to improve and make it handy for my partner to do the day to day stuff when im working away.

2. Cull underperforming ewes. Using flockwatch now so that should help.

3. Sow a finishing crop like redstart or kale for lambs or stores. Want to do this as a project.

4. In work im now in a management position with a good team around me. I hope to improve the processes etc for everyones benefit and keep developing my own skillset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Anyone able to find "plans for 2022"?.love to see what i put down last year.this year was busy ,weather was very dry which meant grass was tight all year.the big news is it looks like we finally have water enough for our cows which was the biggest issue we ve always have had.built an extension on machinery shed and more of the uncovered cubicles were covered and we are the home straight with them.we are handling silage and slurry work in house now and trying to reduce fertilizer and increase clover content.cows numbers have peaked and are only going one way if there is a change.for us now its all about paying down debt.family at a stage where they are trying reach decisons on next stage in education/life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Spend more time with my parents

Spend more time with the kids

Eventually get new parlour built

Help eldest lad expand the pedigree Angus Herd, he has a great interest.

Hopefully younger lad will progress at his sport...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Don’t be too hard on yourself about the tractor window. I fitted this light on a trailer about two months ago.

Euro came in around June/July 2002 so it’s over 20 years sitting in the shed and it was a job I meant to do every year.

£3.54 - I must check to see what they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

As good a year of weather as 2022, i will take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

People learning manners and how to drive a car while there at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Work:

Convert the straw bedded shed to cubicles and put in 2 more tanks.

Finish the water and fencing.

I have someone organised to do 2 milkings a week once the calving is finished whenever suits them.

Personal:

Get fit and take up a new hobby, I already play squash in the winter and soccer. But I'd like something during the summer.

Finish getting my artic licence

Take time off to enjoy life

Post edited by davidk1394 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thread bump.

Thought i posted last year, maybe it was in a another thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the 8211 a continuation of the crystal range. Thought it would look like a 7211.

Any progress made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Rushes done and under control.

Drainage to be done. Considering getting an adviser out to see if correcting pH and p & K as sufficient. If not reseed on cards as part of the process.

Holes bored for handling facilities. Just to concrete in posts and hang gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

If 24 will be as good as 23 we’re in for a great year- things looking much better already - milk beef all on the rise and fert meal all falling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not it's a bigger frame than the 7211.

Absolutely nothing done with Zetor, New Holland is coming on, another few weeks should see it ready.

Ask me again this time next year 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hold My Hand

After a few hiccups this year, I’d be happy with good health in 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

Get the backside in gear regarding tams. Time to upgrade facilities as the gossuns aren’t and won’t be much of a help around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Make better use of grass during Summer Months,a challenge as farm is fragmented, get rushes back under control in a few spots.

More importantly have a happy and healthy 2024.

Advertisement