Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammerhead Karoo 2

Options
  • 22-12-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello, is any of you have the Hammerhead Karoo 2? Do you find it any good? I am used to Garmin so I will appreciate reviews from someone who own it. Thanks

Post edited by Weepsie on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

You're possibly asking in the wrong place but that aside I have one of these and I can't recommend them highly enough - far superior to any Garmin I ever owned. I got this email from them today that might be of interest to you and also save you a few bob:

Trade In and Trade Up – Hammerhead EU

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

100% agree. I was a garmin boy, but karoo all the way now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some of those trade values are fairly shite unless they accept broken products

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Seems very environmentally unfriendly to just brick products that have life in them also. I remember Sonos getting into a bit of bother with a similar scheme.

They do say this in The FAQ section about the offer.

What happens to my old device?

Your old cycling computer will be deconstructed and recycled to the fullest extent possible.

I'll give them the benefit of that doubt and assume that they do recycle old devices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But they're devices that are functional, though they're unclear if they will accept broken ones. Previously they would.

Either way 95 quid for an edge 1030 is a pretty awful offer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It's the fact that it gives the same trade in value for 2 & possibly 10 year old devices that makes it not a great offer. 95 off for an Edge 200 or 800 would be tempting for some.

On the Hammerhead - does it work with Garmin mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I changed from the Garmin 1030 to the Karoo 2 and I’m very happy with it. The screen is much more responsive. I found navigation on the 1030 very unreliable. Kept having to redirect kept sending me down the wrong road only to suddenly tell me to u-turn. Navigation on the Karoo has so far been absolutely flawless. One thing that annoys me is that shimano di2 is no longer supported on it due to a rigmarole between shimano hammerhead and sram but overall I’m very happy. It does support garmin mounts but with an adapter that came with it. I tried the adapter but to be honest I think hammerheads own mounts are much more secure.

edit: I also had awful trouble with the WiFi on the 1030. For months I could not get it to connect to upload rides then all of a sudden it started working then a few months later gone again. I’ve never once had this problem with the Karoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Just to echo what others have said..

I too was a Garmin victim for many years before seeing the light. I've been using the Karoo 2 for two problem-free years. I'll never go back to Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lgt

Great. Thank so much . Karoo it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I've got a Garmin that was run over by a car, I was going to bin it, but might be worth sticking it in drawer if it has a potential trade-in value.

Advertisement