Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda break door down but haven't contacted me once 3 weeks later

Options
  • 22-12-2022 9:49pm

On Dec 2nd evening I returned to my apartment, after two hours away getting my laptop fixed, to find my main door busted through and an inside door broken also; wardrobes left open, drawers opened but nothing taken it appeared...a neighbour came out saying "thank goodness you're not dead."...the Garda took a battering ram to it after going around to a couple of apartments asking neighbours if they'd seen me and that a call came in that I'd killed myself.."

This was quite surreal to say the least. I was looking forward to Xmas after a brutal year started with a parent's death and ended with leaks in ceiling, broken TV as a result, wrecked carpets, laptop issues, difficult landlord troubles, rising rents, financial stress...usual first world problems we all go through albeit not nice .They left a number but nobody answered after a dozen attempts, and an email with a Garda's name that rebounded. They'd attempted to ring me through a neighbours phone but I'd left mine in my locked living room (extra security) because the mic no longer works on it. They decided this was suspicious and so broke my doors down in full view of curious neighbours.

I expected Garda to make contact and explain to me what all this madness was about, and fix my doors which the landlord reckons would be close to 800euros. I'm skint like most people; I'm not a crim or lawyer. The door won't even shut tight to keep the cold out and we all know about energy costs etc. I waited until the Monday to call and was informed they'd no record of incident on their system. I start ringing organisations about rights etc, I contact State Claims Agency, fill out a form and wait. I ring a few more times, asked to speak to superintendent, got some other guy who doesn't give me any info after enduring my long and ridiculous experience. I said I appreciated they've made a decision based on false info but that was nothing to do with me and I need my doors fixed ASAP. We'll ring back bla bla, nothing happens. I send emails with the story, no response, I keep emailing and finally get a response saying 'I've been instructed by Sergeant X to instruct superintendent X to tell somebody to contact you about said communication.' No word from anybody a week later as expected.

I got sick during the week cold snap we had, and stressed (never ever suicidal) I'll admit I was starting to wonder what the hell reality was. Maybe I had gone mad sort of thing. I'd a mild fever for a few days. I rang the number again but it no longer rings, perhaps they blocked me. Obviously leaving the house isn't too safe or insurable. The frustration grows as I try and relax watching the world cup in a neighbours house up the road who, like others, think because the Garda did what they did that there must be truth in it. It seemed the world has gone completely bonkers. My landlord isn't liable for damages. It's not gonna get fixed. I rang a different Garda number, same City, same system, and again he says there is 'no record of incident on system' and 'if it happened then there definitely would be.' I've no reason to disbelieve my landlord or all the neighbours asking questions/gossiping. There was 100% two Garda cars and a battering ram. Not once in 21 days have I had any explanation; gets my goat big time.

The State Claims Agency finally got back to me saying they'll request files but it'll take up to 12 weeks and to get my landlord to pay for it and we'll pay your landlord when, if , it gets resolved. It stinks of Fob-off tactics. They made a big error and left me with the consequences; complete opposite of their supposed well-intended initial action. I went to a 24hr garage last night and behind me in the Queue was a Garda buying snacks, I went off at him big style, finger in his face, after he said to keep trying for answers etc. I'm usually pretty quiet but, like most of us, I can get animated when trying to right a wrong.

My Christmas is completely ruined. Plans with daughter cancelled. I'm Raging. I'll survive but I can't live peacefully and willing until I get some recompense for this. No lawyer seems interested in taking on the Guards and I don't know if its even possible. They have to give me all the info that led to them breaking my doors down, right ? I asked under the Freedom of Information Act to provide me details, you guessed it, no response. Any thoughts on my next step ? Happy Christmas!

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thoughts…. Improving your trolling silks.

Unfortunately not a troll

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Sounds to me like they were acting on a reported suicide. They discovered you were alive. Case closed on their side, but you are the (financial) victim. A bit like unnecessary fire brigade callouts, where the house owner sometimes ends up with a bill for something they never requested.

Re your door issue: ask around such as on local Facebook groups for people dumping old doors during renovation projects. It's not the best time of year for that but you might just get lucky.

Post edited by embraer170 on

I appreciate they made an error but I want to know what info/who called them. For them not to even contact me is beyond belief imo. If I had broken their door down I'm sure there would be hell to pay. I hear what you're saying regards old doors but I want a door exactly the standard as before. Is that unreasonable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If it's a landlord's property then get him to fix it.

• Advertisement

He will probably have to but not till after xmas. I will put up with it but why should I is the point...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bit quick off the mark there Jim, are ye instructed to never apologise?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My genuine thought is that you going way overboard on this. All the unnecessary detail in the OP because you want to be emotive and paint this awful picture that justifies your story but at the end of the day it just a door, which got damaged because they were actually trying to help you. Is this really the worst thing that could happen you? Does this really justify accosting people in shops?

You don't at all deny that they received a call that you were in trouble (they had your number after all), nor do you give any details as to who made that call. Are they really the bad guys here?

You can get that sorted for far less than €800 if you wanted to. Throw a door on, submit the claim and let it play out, your christmas doesn't need to be ruined at all if you don't want it to be.

Yes its just a door. That's not the point. They have put me in a very uncomfortable position as regards neighbours opinions and yea I can ignore it but reputation is important, things like that can effect business etc. How can it be so difficult to tell me what happened ? not one bit of info. They have actually said it isn't recorded on system and that it would have been. How do I know for sure they got a call, and if so, by who? If somebody is playing games then surely I should be told so I can protect myself from farther problems or the likes. I don't think that is going overboard at all. If they were trying to help me then why don't they say, admit it, and let the claim for the door proceed. Why does it have to take 12 weeks? I don't see any due care here.

I don't dent they got a call as it seems clear they did. I don't give any details about who made they call as I've been told absolutely nothing by them, in 3 weeks and numerous attempts. I 'accosted' the guard in the shop because the entire situation stressed me out. I find it hard to believe anybody would just let it go and be ok. no ? If you want to describe it as emotive then that is your prerogative but I was simply painting the picture and trying to get some feedback and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Probably privacy / data protection rules mean you will never get the info about who made the call.

I was told by FLAC that, under the Freedom Of Information Act, I should be allowed this info, especially if I suspect somebody has some kind of weird vendetta against me. I have had them suspicions for a while, about some Cyber Security guys in the neighbourhood, after some very strange things happened over years. Of course, I'm called paranoid and to get proof etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

A bit unfair I think. If you came home to your front door broken in, you'd be shocked and confused as well.

The guards supposedly did it, but they haven't confirmed this to him or even spoken to him directly about the incident which I think is very poor form.

I'd ring the guards to report a break in and when they come out to take a statement, get the neighbours to tell them that it was their colleagues that were responsible!

Hopefully the landlord will fix the door in the meantime until it's all resolved.

Thank you. I've thought exactly the same thing in last few days, to report a break-in, as I've not had it confirmed the Guards did it. Good idea about getting the neighbour to tell them it was their colleagues. I need to find out who reported it; the fact the Guards have proved impossible only fuels my suspicions.

With my luck of late it'll be the Guard I had a go at in the shop who comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

You should contact GSOC about this.

Confused, maybe.

Cancelling plans with my daughter over christmas because of it, no.

Really ? Hardly gonna be comfortable staying in a place with no doors in freezing temperatures.

Confused, maybe ? I should have just wondered in the broken door without a care in the world. Come on bro.

This is the sort of confusion that comes about when you create a narrative instead of just saying what happened.

It makes it far harder to decipher what actually took place.

Again with the emotive language, which frankly is very suspect.

For starters, the door does still close over so temperature is not the issue there surely, no more than it was before the damage occurred.

Secondly, it happened December 2nd, are you saying there was **** all you could do about a broken door in the past month? Nothing at all you could do to save christmas with your daughter?

I'm starting to agree with one of the early respondents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Report it as a break in. When the Gardai call, explain everything you just did (minus giving the Garda in the shop guff) and that seeing as you're getting no reply from the Gardai and it's not on Pulse, that you are only left to assume it's a break in. I bet they won't take a statement and will "get back to you", at which point I'd ring every day until they do.

Something isn't adding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Door was kicked in, it's not smashed into pieces. Landlord or you could have gotten it fixed week before now and just claimed the cost.

Gardai responded to a call that a man was killing himself and tried to intervene. There's nothing sinister in that. Could that have left a calling card? Sure.

So what is it's not on pulse. There's still a 999 call logged. They hardly just randomly decided to do this. Write it email the station with details. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Left one however, what gives you the right to abuse a random person in a shop because they have the same job as someone you are annoyed with? Damn lucky the guy took pity on you and your situation. If a courier company lost your package would you jump on a chap that works for Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

OK, legals.

Your landlord has an obligation to provide you with a flat that is fit for habitation. This includes a functioning front door. He didn't break it but it is his job to get it fixed. He can take up the issue of compensation from the State Claims Agency, his own insurers, whoever. H won't be claiming from you unless you or your family or guests broke the door, or it was broken though some fault or negligence of yours.

You shouldn't have to deal with this. Ask you landlord to get the door fixed and pass him the contact details of the State Claims Agency.

If they had just got back to me and explained what info they were acting upon then I would know what I was dealing with; I left it because I firstly I thought there would be some protocol from the State to deal with these kind of things like in Belfast when I was petrol bombed the police boarded it up themselves. It seems fair that the Guards would do something similar. What they did was just leave it and never contact me again. That doesn't suggest they had any due care of their citizens at all.

I expected they would have fixed their mistake. Even if it was fixed, I don't know what I am dealing with here because, again, I've had no official confirmation from the guards it was them so fixed or not I was never going to bring my daughter into this environment.

The door does not shut so yes freezing air comes in, is that so hard to understand?

It needs a new door. I expected to hear back from them within a few days and then I would fix door knowing exactly who was liable for costs. I didn't want my landlord to pay and I shouldn't have to pay. I told the Guards from first contact that I appreciated they were acting on a call but whose call? What info? I suspect a very weird neighbour had something to do with it, I've no proof, I haven't spoken to this neighbour in over 3 years as I suspected he hacked me and has some kind of weird thoughts about me I want nothing to do with...But, I have no proof. There are some very peculiar people about these days, when they have the software to hack anybody they want then it becomes very dangerous. It is rife. I've seen them do it. The Guards don't seem to have any protocol to investigate these kind of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Then chase the landlord. It's his property. Let him sort it.

He will but I don't believe he should have to. It was hard enough trying to get a leaky roof fixed. The point though is that the door should never have been broken as there was no reason/emergency ever in the offing. The main problem is the Guards have failed to give me any information or even admit to them doing it.

• Advertisement

On your last point, I didn't feel great about that and I was already shouting at him before I realised. I did tell him I'd nothing against him personally. Yet, he represents the same crew and they're hardly whiter than white but yea I shouldn't have let my frustration boil over. I don't think he took pity on me though, he just wanted to go eat his snacks with his buddy outside before they wielded their power over somebody else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement