Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the secondary schools like around Baldoyle/Bayside etc

Options
  • 23-12-2022 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, we've recently move to Baldoyle and have our daughter enrolled at a local primary with another one on the way (boy).

I was just wondering about the local secondary schools in the area and which ones would be bet to send the kids when the time came. I know St Mary's and Santa Sabina have good reputations but we're uncertain about sending the daughter to a single sex school so we're thinking about St Nessan's. Does anyone know if it's any good?

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They’re all good schools. St Mary’s has limited options classes.

Santa Sabina is girls only, but is generally seen as a better school than Nessans, which in itself is actually a good school. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

The boys options are Nessans, Grange Community College (an up and coming deis school) or if willing to go by bicycle, St Paul’s in Raheny is a good school.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to some parents. There is often quite a lot going on in schools that league tables etc. do not measure.

Ask about pastoral programmes, provisions for help with mental health etc..

The culture of schools can change quite quickly for the better or worse with changes of management or policies etc., so try speak to parents of children whose children are still there, or have only recently left - to get a current picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Schools are great in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Your kids are only starting primary so you've a few years to go yet.

Generally speaking all the schools in the area are good schools.

The child themselves will probably want to go where the majority of their friends go.

For the girls you have, st Mary's and Santa Sabina. The boys you have st fintans.

They can also get the train to Manor house and St Paul's.

Then Nessans is a mixed school.

There's no school there that has a bad reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

I went to Nessans. Brilliant school. At the time (early 90s) it was way ahead for computers and science. Music was an option there too which Fintans didn't have. Best of luck. Baldoyle is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean McGarr

That's really good to hear about Nessan's. I'm from Portmarnock originally but had some friends who went to Nessan's in the 90's too and they were complete messers so I was unsure about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean McGarr

That's good to hear about all the schools. I'm just after moving back from 17 years in England. In the town we were in all the schools were pretty bad and no one had a good word to say about any of them so this is quite encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Sutton Park is a great school. I went there in 80's but it is pricey.

Advertisement