Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S23 series

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Definite holdup on certain accessories from Exertis anyway. Couple items showed up today without any heads up (like the phone itself earlier in the week), but no sign of the leather standard case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My Samsung leather case and screen protectors arrived today. Still no sign of the trade-in return pack which will probably arrive next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I forgot about the trade in return pack! Don't care how long it takes once it doesn't effect my pocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No trade in pack here either yet. Thought about a faster charger though but as I prefer to charge wirelessly on a stand (less wear and tear on the port) there's not much point as I think the max they do is 10W anyway

Unless anyone has/knows of a faster one?

Del

So I decided to email Spigen to see if they had any idea when the package will be in Ireland.

This was the message I received haha.

Hello

Shipping time is about 2 weeks. Please be patient.

Customer service right there!

Fuck that ill be getting them from Ebay or an Irish seller again next time. Two weeks to ship something across Europe what a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I see Spigen have cases on Amazon UK but they wont ship to Ireland its very annoying.

Yeah I don't understand that one at all but that's the issue with some of the stuff on that site since Brexit. If Mobilefun had of had them sooner i would of bought from them or even Ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Amazon.de or Amazon.fr is your friend in that case (pardon the pun).

I've ordered numerous Spigen cases from both of these over the past year or so.

Never taught of them!! Oh well to late for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

Next time try to fit the screen protector in the bathroom after taking shower/bath. Steamed room = no dust in the air :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This is the exact code of my phone, KSA purchased and delivered.

is the dual sim standard on EU phones?

German Amazon sells Spigen cases and sends them to Ireland. I got one last week (I've ordered 1 Spigen, 1 Caseology and 1 Ringke cases when I placed the pre-order for the phone and they all arrived before phone. Spigen will be going back to Amazon though, I don't like the look and feel of it (I've got Spigen Thin Fit black).

I've written it before - Caseology looked worst without the phone in it, but with the phone I quite like it, and it seems very durable as well.

This is Caseology case I got:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I finally got an update on the shipping of my case from Spigen, 2023-02-17 14:15 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, Your delivery has been sorted.

Should be with me by monday I think.

Nothing changed on my end yet. Was that from there website that brings u to the polish mail page?

I'm using 17track.net to track it, but yes it has also updated on the Polish mail page. It is also showing when I track with An Post.

No change on any of them for me be waiting while longer so! I'll remember not to bother with that site again anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Has anyone had an issue adding aib / visa cards to google wallet? Its telling me the card type is Invalid for both debit and credit ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

No, worked fine with same card type for me, well credit card at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Figured it out, an Indian payment profile I'd set up for cheap YouTube premium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm liking the metal, square form. Smaller than I'd like (s23 basic), but my fat fingers will relearn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Snap. Got mine on Adverts but made sure to ask if it was an EU phone before buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

always need to research well non-eu phones regarding the data frequency differences, ie. 4G+ spectrum etc. I have bought phones in the past from hong kong and had issues with that, albeit cheaper phones and if things like above don't disappoint you along with the lack of warranty

I bought a 65W charger from Amazon. But its only showing up as Super Fast Charging. Without the 2.0.

Do I have to activate somewhere within the phone? Screenshot below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If it's not a Samsung charger it won't show up if it is I'm not sure , I get it with my Samsung charger with out changing settings

Thanks.

I used to see Super Fast Charging option under Battery Setting on S22 Ultra. But its not there anymore in S23 Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

You need a USB c pd 3.0 charger with pps (I think) capable of delivering 45W.

I have this.

Do you still see Super Fast Charging option on S23U?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,509 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Tried and failed to put the Samsung screen protector on this morning, so I decided to go into FunTech to get a tempered glass off them and have them put it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How much and how is it? Like any specs of dust underneath the glass? Might do the same. Got a couple of specs of dust underneath my Samsung screen protectors despite taking a lot of care, it's okay for now but those tiny imperfections will drive me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,509 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

It was €12 in total. There is a fingerprint section alright which I find annoying to look at but otherwise, no bubbles, dust or imperfections which I couldn't say about my attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Not sure. I assume the warranty process would be better for us :-)

Anyone replaced battery within the first 10 months of phone?

I always note a significant decline in battery (S22 ultra, s21 ultra) just around 10 months mark.

Thanks

Well...near a week into it after coming from a S22 Ultra, and after letting any setup, learning patterns and indexing take place, the storage is more or less over 50% full (512GB model) and the phone has settled down.

Looks a good trade, but not an amazing one, so anyone considering a similar move should have their eyes wide open. Certainly, the little saving on top of the trade in makes it more palatable.

Usual daily performance feels more or less in line with the previous S22U (Exynos) TBH. Obviously phones are at a point of diminishing returns at this level, but from a fluidity and speed perspective, there's neglible real world improvement, especially when compared fresh install v fresh install. Havent installed, or really use, games so there's probably something tangible there to be found between the models given the specs involved - just don't get along with phone games.

Screen is roughly similar with the new model appearing to have the edge, though that could be a placebo effect with the new OneUI (only had less than a day with the the 22U on the same). Is the brighter panel having an effect ? Possibly, but it's certainly at least as good as before. Anyone coming from a couple models before will be blown away.

Battery is certainly where the new model shines, and while I've never been one to complain about the frequency of S22 battery recharging (met my needs very well), the S23 is far better and will certainly meet the needs of many who feel previous efforts let the experience down. By some accounts it sounds as though the S22 has had a more pronounced drain with the new OneUI but can't speak to that, so the gap could be wider.

Camera is of course far better in execution than previous efforts. Much has been made of that, so not much else to say. If the camera feature is important to you, there's no comparison between the models.

Construction feels solid, and definitely prefer the feel of the unit, but once a case is on its no different, so that's by the by.

Overall, a decent/good trade but clearly upgrading from a couple years or more back provides more WOW factor, which is no shock I suppose given how yearly increments have become the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally think the snapdragon absolutely eats the exynos I notice it especially using chrome. I was quite skeptical of anyone saying the exynos was poor. But i had definitely gotten random stutters using chrome for basic things like twitter and boards. Haven't seem anything similar on the S23U.

I will additionally say the video and image processing is probably 30 percent faster. Editing or cutting down videos is much more improved on this chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I've also noticed wifi connectivity is so much better coming from a s20 fe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KerryGoldinDublin

Slightly off topic, but I got my S23 Ultra last Monday. Was in Dublin today and managed to get a 5G connection on the network (D-360Mbps U-76Mbps). The thing is, I'm with Tesco Mobile, who aren't supposed to have 5G! Has this happened to anyone else? I was considering switching to a 5G network, but if Tesco are about to get access to Three's 5G, I'll be staying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I got one from OtterBox and they change how they are applied every year, so this led to me messing it up and having loads of bubbles but after 3 days use I've ironed them all out somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

About 5 days in with mine and coming from even a Note 20 Ultra (Snapdragon variant though!) I am not really seeing THAT much difference from a performance perspective. Yes things are a bit smoother and quicker but not in a WOW sense by any stretch. Like you I don't game so differences will likely be more pronounced there.

The screen is definitely brighter and the battery life is noticeably better even for a heavy user like me. I actually like the more weighty feel of the phone too vs the older model, but yes if you were coming from a 21/22 series Ultra I would imagine that it's even more incremental than revolutionary.

Still, all that said it was worth the upgrade I think, especially as my Note 20 Ultra will go on for another year or two with my son (upgrading him from my old Note 9)

• Advertisement

FWIW.....over the last few months I think Virgin Mobile must be testing areas with 5G, and I believe they use Three's network, so could be the case here as well.

Have noticed areas of Lucan and Clondalkin, and elsewhere, falling under limited 5G coverage.

495/44 measured via Speed test in one location (on a S22U).....back onto 4G about 2mins and 500yds later....40/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KerryGoldinDublin

Fingers crossed they all get access to 5G! Sky Mobile are coming onto the market later this year on Vodafone's network, you'd imagine they'd want access to the 5G network too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

How many other people are still waiting for this trade-in pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

You need to invest in a 5A USB-C to USB-C cable. The supplied cable by Samsung is only capable of charging up to 25W, so even if you have a 45W charge brick it won't matter unless you have the right cable. Save the environment my ass.

https://www.samsung.com/levant/mobile-accessories/5a-usb-c-to-usb-c-cable-1m-black-ep-dn975bbegww/

No sign of mine yet. Its on them if they don't send it out I cant return it sure!

I got a letter in the package with the phone that explains the return process, says that the phone should be sent within 2 weeks of receiving mine, but I have got no package or any box I can use to send it to them. If I don't get anything until end of this week, I'm going to send it using normal post I guess...

No sign of anything changing on my end yet. Tracking hasn't updated since the 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This battery life is amazing. I'm coming from an S22 ultra. I charged it 22 hours ago and I still have 18% yesterday. I'm a fairly heavy users. Always on WhatsApp, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube etc. I know I'm comparing it to my more recent memories of the S22 ultra (so a 1 year old phone) but even still, the difference is hours. I have never taken my phone off charge in the AM and gottiinto bed without the battery needing a little too up throughout the day.

The cameras I find are a nice upgrade too. While the aveiperson may not notice nor even care about the little upgrades.. someone like me does.. Iove phone photography.

This is my first time ever having the superior chip so that's surely playing a part in why I'm happy with my upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Same.

Very happy with it. Well worth the swap for me.

Tiny things have made it much more refined and perfect.

No trade in pack for me either yet. I think it was a week last year. Don't send it back yourself. If you don't get it samsung will just send you an email and you can notify them then.

I'd say they'll appear in the next week.

Advertisement