Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike trade in

Options
  • 24-12-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi

Does anyone have a list of shops that take trade ins looking to get a new bike in the new year would like to trade in old bike against the price of a new one

I know cyclesuper store do it just wondering is there anywhere else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

Better off selling it yourself. Donedeal is free. Lots of messers on adverts I find. CSS won’t give near its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DJD

If you're in or near Dublin then Hollingsworth in Terenure do it. Traded a couple of kids bikes in there over the last few years.

They don't accept all makes, so may be worth a call in advance to confirm if they'll accept yours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the bike in very good nick? if it's not, i suspect a big retailer wouldn't touch it. not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Maybe if you discribed the bike you may get a better idea of the value and a way to sell it to make it worth the effort .

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Most bike shops will accept trade-ins, based on a couple of things, as mentioned above:

It's a reputable brand (chain store bikes won't attract as many second-hand buyers as other brands, so be prepared!);

It's in servicable condition (if your trade-in needs 300 quids worth of work, so that it can be sold with a warranty, that 300 is gonna come off what the shop offers you);

It's in presentable condition (badly scratched frames, rusty components/fasteners, torn bartape, crusty stem/headset from winters spent unprotected on a turbo, etc will always lessen a bikes trade in value).

Bike shops will offer you considerably less than what you value your bike at, or what you will get for it in a private sale. They have to pay a mechanic to service it, maybe replace service parts, and be prepared to have it sitting in stock, till the right buyer comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Bike is in great condition serviced regularly by css which is where was bought 2 years ago I got an reasonable offer from them last month only problem is they have very limited stock I'm my size so I'm just trying ti find other shops that also take trade ins and might have a bike that I want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ratracer

Clarke’s of Cavan take trade ins, and generally have a good stock of bikes from all the usual brands. Might be worth a phone call!

Advertisement