If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas present not working

Options
  • 25-12-2022 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas!

New ATLP3 unboxed and set up this morning but not getting any sound from speakers. Wondering if any owners could advise?

I've gone through the troubleshooting section of the manual. Tried turntable/phono to amp/phono and turntable/line to amp/aux, no joy with either. Nothing from speakers but very low audio from turntable itself.

Any owners know what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

“– If you are connecting to a specified PHONO input on a stereo receiver or an external RIAA preamp, then move the switch on the rear of the turntable to the PHONO position, which disengages the turntable’s internal preamp.

– If connecting to a LINE level input on a stereo (CD, AUX, TAPE, etc.) or powered speakers with an analog AUX input, then move the switch on the rear of the turntable to the LINE position, which engages the turntable’s internal RIAA preamp.”

^^ pulled from a setup website

The turntable has its own pre-amp so you can connect it to any normal input on your amplifier & it’ll work. If your amplifier doesn’t have a dedicated ‘Phono’ input or you have it connected to another input but the switch on the turntable is set to ‘Phono’ your sound level will be greatly reduced.

To get it working correctly, either connect it via the red & white RCA connections to the ‘Phono’ input on your amplifier (if it has one) & flick the switch on the turntable to ‘phono’ OR connect it to any other input on your amplifier (CD/Tape/Aux etc) or a line input (3.5mm normally) & then flick the switch on the turntable to ‘Line’ to switch on the in-built pre-amp!

Happy Christmas! 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Followed those instructions from the start but no joy. Might be a problem with the turntable. There is oil or something around the exposed mechanisms. It is wet to the touch. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I'd say not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If the turntable still has a mechanical drive there will normally be a small amount of some sort of grease/oil or lubricant on the mechanism.

Sorry I wasn’t able to help, someone from Richersounds.ie will no doubt be along to help you soon 🎅🏼

Looking like it might be the amp. Not getting anything from a cd player either. Amp has power and source selection lights up but no audio output. So it's either developed a fault or I'm doing something wrong.

Whenever you get back guys could you let me know what you think and/or recommend a replacement?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Heighway61.

Sorry you are having issues with your setup.

Might sound really silly but have you checked that the speakers are wired correctly, as in positive to positive and negative to negative at both the speaker and the amp?

If you do need a new amp you could check out the deal we have on the Yamaha AS301 priced at 299 Euro delivered

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion Kenny. I'm not real gone on the Yamaha. Can't decide on an alternative!

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Heighway61,

You could look at the Marantz PM6007? They're forever winning awards for best amp in their class and they're a great price at £369 at the moment:

Let me know what you think of this option.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.