Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG 55" OLED TV - CS6 SERIES €990

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 HouseEater

A lot of it is for convenience. These TV's use almost no power in standby mode these days. It would be very cumbersome switching on and off at the wall if the sockets are behind the TV and the TV is mounted close to the wall or built into a cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Still nothing in Cork City Suburbs.. Anyone else still waiting or am I the last man in Ireland to get my TV

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Right here with ya bro. Got through to Very earlier who said the usual give DHL 10 business days since it entered their system which will be April 3rd for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭jj880

Tested this out with a 2 metre usb led strip I had on an old TV. Works well. Had TV on for 5 hours then put in standby. Pixel refresh ran for 5 minutes then clicked off. About a second later the led lights went off. Lights on a low brightness setting so not noticeable from the front. Think they cost about £8 from Amazon last year. Now I can be certain the pixel refresh has finished before turning off mains power. Also eventually a full pixel refresh will run after 2000 hours of TV viewing. The full refresh takes around an hour according to LG. As already stated by others there should be no problems leaving the TV in standby all the time. The leds will suit us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Check the LED on the front, it might be yellow when it's running the pixel refresh then turn red when in standby

• Advertisement

Definitely stays red during standby at all times. Pixel refresh runs in standby mode or at least thats how it looks to me. I prefer having the leds behind the TV anyway. Reminds me when I go to turn off the plug that pixel refresh is still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Another option could be to use a smart plug with energy monitor similar to a tapo. It would let you know when tv gone into standby, by amount of power being used, and then power off the plug in the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This isn't really a bargain alert thread anymore.

But one more thing ...

There is a film of plastic on the back of LG OLED TVs that isn't obvious and should probably be removed. I removed it on mine.

As soon as you put the TV in standby either:

1. Inside 10 seconds you will hear a pretty loud click. This means no pixel refresh is needed.

2. You dont hear the click inside 10 seconds. After about a minute you can clearly hear the pixel refresh running if you are close to the TV. After about 5 to 10 minutes you will hear the same loud click. This means the pixel refresh is finished.

The LEDs make it very easy to see when pixel refresh starts/doesnt start and when it finishes. Im probably going overboard here but Ive never spent as much on a TV before. Also it was such a good bargain for a great TV I want to try and keep the picture as good as I can for as long as I can. No more non bargain posts from me for a while in this thread 👍

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Got an email from DHL this morning. Apparently very gave them the wrong number. Missing a zero. They've been trying to ring me and obviously can't get through. Not sure how that happened as my number is right on my account on very.

Due to be delivered tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Still nothing here in Meath. Looks like I'm the last man in Ireland to get my TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I cannot find any reference to permanent damage to the TV if mains is turned off during a pixel refresh. Have you any reference for this as I would consider it a major design flaw?

I agree that leaving modern electronic devices such as TVs are designed to be powered on 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I didn't get this bargain. But I do come here to see if there is a bargain now and again and the bargain is gone ages ago. There probably should be a thread for OLED maintenance. Anyway. Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

But people usually turn the TV on when they turn the power back on so it doesn't get a chance to complete the pixel refresh.

I've made a terrible mistake.

I've thrown the 4K BluRay player on the TV and put in Blue Planet II. Nothing will ever compare again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Life of Pi 4K has some jaw dropping scenes

It really doesn't - he reads from the same manual I did. Nowhere does that same manual state that there will be permanent damage to the TV if it is turned off during a pixel refresh.

There is no risk of permanent damage if the mains power is cut during a standby pixel refresh. These refreshes only take 6 minutes and are run after every 4 hours of panel activity.

The worst case scenario is that pixel refresh doesn't complete. If you skip it a lot, over time you will have a greater chance of image retention or other wear-based artifacts.

I am so impressed by the sound in this TV. Was concerned it would sound tinny given how slim the TV is but wow 😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Have you watched any HDR content on it? Should have different picture settings for the type of content too, one for SDR, one for HDR10+ & one for Dolby vision. Change to that setting once when watching the content type & TV should do to auto then each time.

This is the first video that came up for me when testing some 4k hdr in YouTube. The picture and sound really impressed me. If your broadband is good enough it will run 4k 60fps. Check the youtube ⚙️ icon while its playing to see what quality is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I made the mistake of leaving ECO settings on. Wondered what the big fuss was about. Then realised my mistake. Switching it off, suddenly the screen was dazzling.

Yip I posted a video a few pages back about turning off all the power saving stuff. Really makes a difference.

You can play around with the sound output options for music, clearer speech etc.

Make sure you watch movies in the cinema mode to avoid the soap opera effect.

PS5 or XBox Series X can really show these TVs off. 60/120 FPS, 4K, HDR, VRR. 30 FPS games can look bad on these TVs as OLED is too fast, so you see a stuttering effect. So, make sure you are playing on 60 FPS or higher if the game supports it and this is a problem for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'll take it off you for what it cost if you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

High quality will look great on a set like this but the problem is that there is very little high quality content out there.

Any demo in a shop they feed the set with specially prepared 4k video, I want to know what it will look like with HD and SD Tv as thats what it will be displaying most of the time.

Havent had a chance to test this set out yet, next week hopefully but glad to hear that the sound is good.

Preinstalled Netflix app does have a lot of 4k content and it looks really good on this TV at around 18mbs for me when showing the stream info in the top left. Watching Drive To Survive and Full Swing at the moment. Dont have any other streaming subs or 4k blurays but have a decent IPTV sub with 4k movies section. Runs really well as have a good spec android box. Wakanda Forever looked and sounded great:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Raoul

Does anyone else get invalid service when trying to access the UK channels? I have the Irish channels tuned in. Then I set it up the UK and try to tune in the others and I get loads of channels with invalid service.

• Advertisement

Advertisement