Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of old suite of furniture

Options
  • 25-12-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a new suite but can’t find anyone that will take the old?? It’s not good enough for donation

anyone have any ideas? Can’t find anything on the council site about then doing bulk collection.

would a three piece suite fit in a skip? No way I can get it to the dump myself

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The shop took our old one when delivering the new.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

can you remember who? I can’t find anyone that does that now?

Happy Christmas!!

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I see you are Donegal... are Flanagans of Buncrana still operating there? try them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A possibility would be to demolish it - strip off the covering and cut up the carcase till it will fit into a car. I have done this with a couple of settees that I could not get rid of.

Thanks - yes - I'm near Ballybofey way.

The ones that come up on Google don't seem to do it. I actually got a mattress from Hegarty's recently and they took the old one, seems like they don't do that anymore.

I'd not heard of Flanagans so will try there. (would prefer buying from somewhere in Donegal)

Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Flanagans are based in Buncrana. Give them a ring and see what the story is.

Can you not get some way of getting the old suite to the recycling centre in Stranorlar? A van or even a tractor and trailer.

It’s only me and I don’t k ow anyone with a van!

You may just have to accept that it will cost you to get rid of it. Try a firm like Kollect or other rubbish removal services (make sure they are licensed or it could end up in a local ditch). They will take it to a proper tip and it would be cheaper than hiring a skip, even if you had a way of getting a suite into a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Put it up on Adverts.ie, for nothing or next to nothing, and someone will take it home

Yes - paying to get rid will be fine. That's why I was wondering if it would fit in a skip? I'll phone around and ask.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Stockhouse interiers website says they take the old, so I'll go down to Donegal town and have a looksee tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

<snip>

Mod note: We respect the law in this forum, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I had an old single size bed i needed to get rid off and had a sledge hammer to hand and got it sorted into piles that would fit into the car.

A metal skip is excessive pricing to hire , smash it up and get a skip bag that can be lifted up clear of overhead wires as different sizes for different needs?.

Most diy stores and builder providers stock bags.

Sometimes there are lads going around in vans collecting rubbish if so make sure they are registered so as dumping in a recycling centre and not the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dublin City Council do bulky items collection. They charge €40 for five large items. This would be the 3 piece suite & two more items.

I assumed all local councils provided this service. Maybe your own council does

Nah, down the country they assume everyone has a tractor and trailer, or is at least related to someone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Is there a farmer or a neighbour nearby with a trailor you could throw them a few euro to bring it to the recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Local men's shed might be looking for some comfortable seating.

Just in case anyone else wanted to know - Stockhouse Interiors in Donegal Town take away the old one, as do Foys Ballybofey/Letterkenny. Got one from there in the end.

Thanks again folks.

Advertisement