Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polished Concrete Floor

• 26-12-2022 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello All,

I'm here as I'm at the end of my tether with my concrete floor. We had it installed and polished last year by the same company. We went for what they called a 'bronze' finish ie not super polished. We went for a charcoal/ grey colour.

They gave us a leaflet after it was installed that mentioned things that might stain the floor. We bought an expensive karcher steamer to avoid all chemicals and in the bathroom I only use appropriate cleaning products.

The floor is in our open plan sitting /dining/kitchen, hall, bathroom.and utility.

We have literally had 3 social events in our house since it was installed (April 21) and each time ,if wine is consumed for example and there's a spillage and I don't see it (one happened last night) the floor is permanently damaged / stained. Even a few drops from a glass creates white stains - forever.

There are only us two adults in the house and there have been a drop here ,there etc accumulate from making dinner and general use around the kitchen island.

I'm just so so disappointed by how easily stained it is. I have done everything I can, bought the steamer ,used no chemicals, cleaned spillages up the minute I see them, bought mats for at the sink,round the island.

As stated we received 'the leaflet' mentioning fruit juice etc etc after the floor was installed.

The floor cost about 10k and we don't gave the money to do anything else to it. I've been onto the company,the guy came out and was so defensive it was almost childish. He talked about the costs of grinding off a layer etc 7k or something. He offered us a cheap consolidation prize which does nothing to improve the floor.

I just am so mad at myself that I had no idea that these floors are NOT fit for general use especially where food and drink is consumed. So that's dining room, kitchen and if you have a coffee table in your sitting room, you also need to watch like a hawk if you have more than 5 people in!

Does anyone any advice/ experience with this? I did call another company and sent pics but they also said 'expect staining'.

I wanted to warn people that this type of will disappoint you so much. Its the most impractical floor I've had.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bermo

Wow, that must be gut wrenching, 10k is a lot of money tp part with when you are not satisfied. Could you share the name of the company? It seems you are saying the execution of the job was OK, but the quality of finished product was poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, it sounds like it wasn't sealed with an impregnating sealant. I did read though that floors with less fine grinding done to them are more prone to staining than fully ground floors as the pores aren't closed, so you may need to look at sealing it with top-coat seal (akin to a varnish which sits on top of the concrete).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you share some pictures?

I had a polished concrete floor, worktop and island for years with no staining issues. However mine was well sealed with a polished finish.

Advertisement