Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a recommendation for a HDMI Hub/Dock for 2 monitors

• 26-12-2022 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I purchased 2 new monitors to extend my laptop display. The monitors have a max resolution of 3440 x 1440.

Could someone recommend a USB C hub/dock that will work to achieve this max resolution? I am outputting the display over USB C from a Surface Book 2. I have already tried one from Amazon which was supposed to support this resolution but it didn't work

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Surface Book 2 USB Type-C

All Surface Book 2's have a USB Type-C 3.1 port instead of the mini DisplayPort found in the original Surface Book. It is not Thunderbolt 3 compliant, however, so there is no external GPU (eGPU) support.

What the Type-C Display Port can do for output depends on how it is used. When splitting it between power, data, and display, such as through the Surface Dock, users will get only two lanes of PCIe for the screen. That results in a maximum secondary display resolution of 2880 x 1800 at 60Hz allowing the most popular resolution today — QHD (2560 x 1440) — to be used.

Alternatively, if you are only using a secondary display through USB Type-C (using all four PCIe lanes), the Surface Book 2 supports up to a 4K output resolution at 60Hz.

External USB Type-C docks, including third-party options, are all supported through the USB Type-C port on the Surface Book 2.

MS were a bit bollicky the way they've designed that.

Presumably you want the "normal" setup of One USB C does everything like you can do with most current gen laptops (eg an Elitebook), if so you need to buy the Surface Dock 2 for €300 from MS. Have fun.

EDIT: "Up to Dual 4K at 30Hz" - 60hz is normal, 30hz is a bit crap. IMHO you should return those monitors and get 2x 1440p 16:9s instead.

Advertisement