Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's ridiculous hagiography of Gerry Ryan continues

• 27-12-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I see his young fella is quoted as saying his dad wasn't like other dads or some other twaddle. That's true but not in the sense he means. My dad didn't for example take illegal drugs in ginormous quantities while using his privileged highly paid public platform to hypocritically preach that those who engaged in the same hobby as him from lower class backgrounds be hung drawn and quartered.

I am not totally anti-Ryan, when he started out he was a fresh voice, a breath of fresh air which RTE badly needed at the time. The decline seems to have started when he ventured into rubbish like the school around the corner which interestingly enough seems to coincide when the period he started taking cocaine.

Comments

Get a job in RTÉ OP. Start off as a cleaner. Remember to genuflect to Bosco puppets and pictures of Bosco.

See if you can get to flying the helicopter to work like Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Unfortunately don't have any nepotistic connections even in the cleaning and maintenance, maybe I should consider changing my name to Tubridy-Ryan and making up a fake life story.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Or as Pat Shortt would say "Sure Lottie Ryan has her daddy's head on her".

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Hashiography may be more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How is this RTE eulogising GR? Rex doesn't work with RTE; he made these comments in an Irish Times interview...

• Advertisement

In that case it's even worse than I portrayed it. The entire mainstream meeja's ridiculous hagiography of Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Some big cokeheads in 2FM back in the day. It must be difficult for his family to deal with. He's no longer around to explain himself, obviously, and nobody can guess whether he was a habitual or occasional user. Cocaine use has become rampant in all strata of Irish society these days, not just among the privileged elite. Any addiction counsellor will tell you this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Son says nice things about deceased parent shocker.

The difference is...if Johnser from Ballymun said nice things about his deceased oul fella Mickser who did 20 years in the Joy for the same thing as Ryan, it wouldn't be in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Maybe so but either way neither Rex or Johnser have any impact on my life and I’ll continue on as before. Not sure why it bothers you to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

If this is what you're feeling indignant about in the festive season, you've either drank too much or not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

'Googles hagiography'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If Johnser got 20 years for recreational drug use he must have had a bad solicitor.

You started this thread to have a go at a dead man, well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Post the link op. I want to see the article that has triggered you so much.

The only ones I can find are one from yesterday in the Sun featuring Lottie Ryan, and one from April featuring Rex Ryan.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/9958182/inside-late-rte-gerry-ryan-family-christmas-celebrations/

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/stage/rex-ryan-my-dad-gerry-ryan-wasn-t-like-other-parents-1.4852833

You're not really getting wound up by an article from 8 months ago are you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I glanced over the article in the Irish Times magazine supplement on Saturday. From what I gathered he has opened some sort of Theatre Group which produces original content. I think that is a phucking cool idea and I wish Rex and his partner all the best. In fact it did the trick, insofar as the only reason he has shared his thoughts is to get some exposure for his theatre group, that is a fantastic result for him and hopefully I will enjoy his productions.

Gerry Ryan is sadly missed by all and everyone who enjoyed his broadcasts. It is quite unpleasant to open up a thread attempting to have a bash at his private life. The op sounds very bitter about something imo. If people want to take cocaine that is their own business, I hope they get something out of it and are taking care of their health.

Gerry was a brilliant entertainer, a fantastic host who brought great charisma to his work. There are lots of people working in media taking cocaine, some more and some less. Just look at the salaries they get and the shight that RTE produce and it is not very difficult to figure out who is at it. Scary enough considering the amount of exposure some of them get.

Sadly missed Gerry, very sadly missed. The world is a lessor place with you gone.

I had to google hagiography op, by the way, the very first rule for a successful career in broadcasting, is engagement with your audience. Smoke screening your absence of talent, with audacious articulation, using rare words which only a handful of people understand is not going to work either. Criticism is a very lazy form of expression, try harder please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Nonsense OP, trying to be annoyed at something where nothing exists, he mentioned his Dad probably isn't like others in so far as usually you'd expect the parents to push the kids to do the responsible thing and get a good well paid stable job etc. His point was that his dad encouraged him to get into acting. "he remembers, “wasn’t like other parents, who would probably tell you to do something sensible. He was urging me towards acting since I was very small. He didn’t give me a choice!” "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Gerry Ryan was an incredibly successful broadcaster for RTE, like Gaybo and Tubridy but actually even more so. The ad revenue from Ryan’s radio programme was in the millions annually (source below) thus he earned every single penny of his half a million euro a year salary. His show was enormously popular.

He was firmly middle class and he talked about his lifestyle but he wasn’t anywhere near as obnoxious about it as people imagine it. People like to denigrate him, as if he was a billionaire scoffing on pheasant and throwing the bones to the riff-raff on the air.

He was a hypocrite when he would criticise junkies when he was a drug addict himself but people who revel in the hypocrisy and the manner of his death are just as bad as him. Worse if anything, seeing as I don’t have any memory of him showing glee at anyone’s death. I happen to think it’s bad form to celebrate anyone dying for any reason, even if they did commit the unforgivable sin of hypocrisy.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-radio-star-ryan-really-was-worth-500000-26725875.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's a late reg on a windup, looking to provoke bitter debate. It's the Christmas season. Let the man rest peacefully for these few days at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gerry Ryan was a great talent, IMO. Drug abuser and poor lifestyle dweller, or not, I enjoyed listening to him.

However, when he died, that should have been the end of it. Ever since 2010 I keep hearing bits and pieces about all his vapid kids and seeing fluff pieces about their lives and their spouses and the family home in Clontarf being for sale every 10 minutes.

I don't care if people want to engage in the Revisionism of Gerard Ryan, my opinion of him will never change now. What I do want to see, is no more nepotistic pieces about these no marks that fate happened to make his offspring. There is absolutely no justification for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was a niche radio broadcaster. Did well in that field.

every foray into television completely bombed. He had multiple chances…multiple projects and vehicles for his broadcasting know how but his skillset didn’t translate, why ? Who knows…

he was touted extensively to get the Late Late gig following Gay Byrnes departure but was overlooked. Possibly due to the fact that he had limited to zero current affairs background… and the Late Late is a mishmash of current affairs, and entertainment…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

He used to like to jet off to nyc to do his show, who paid for that? Handy numbr wah.'I always stay in the Fitzgerald Hotel' Good for you bud.

Still he was far more talented than Joe Duffy or Turbridy thats no lie.

His kids get a lot of free medja attentionand also a big lift up in the small media world here. That ain't no lie either.

This thread isn't going to plan OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Shur there's no nepotism at allin Irish medja.

Turbridy looking on nodding sagely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

He was great. Love him or hate him (or both as in my case) he was a talented & clever broadcaster that dealt with topics & exposed issues others wouldn't. The reason media articles appear about his kids is because people read them & that attracts advertising revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Back in the day?? Nobody can guess whether he was an habitual or occasional user?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

If his kids are featured on media it's because they put themselves into the spotlight for it. But I forecast that one of his family will have an "RSVP type article" about their home and all the new "Decor" soon. 😉

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Then these people bellyache when something goes wrong in their lives and the press cover it then they want to left alone and complain of press intrusion .

The photo is from an event in 2015.

Otherwise known as a file photo.

No money would be paid for using it.

There is no quote from M Ryan in the article so she probably didn't speak to the writer.

It's just the type of showbiz piece the SW do every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Gerry Ryan was a very talented broadcaster. He had that rare gift of being completely natural and at ease on the air. He was a great interviewer and asked insightful and interesting questions. He was one of the rare few in Irish media that could have easily been headhunted to the UK or US and almost certainly would have made a success of it.

Everyone focuses on the lurid aspects of his personality and thinks he was most at home talking to randy bored housewives in 1980's Ireland, but he had alot more strings to his bow. I remember two great radio interviews he did, one with a survivor of the plane crash in the 1970's where a young rugby team resorted to cannibalism and the other with a young english guy who was arrested in Moscow for possession of a couple of grams of hash and was sent to a gulag in Siberia for a number of years by the Russian authorities, for a bit of a laugh. Gerry Ryan made both these interviews compelling listening to the extent I bought the both the books.

Ok, he may have went off the rails and no one is going to condone hoovering up coke at an industrial level, but we're all flawed beings to some extent. If he had gotten help and turned things around, he'd be a fetted as a hero nowadays.

There I go indeed.

Again no quote from M Ryan and pics lifted from Instagram.

I'll leave you to trawl through the SW to find more stuff to copy/paste .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

As another poster mentioned previously, they will invite the media in to write articles like this.

“Widow of long dead Irish celebrity spends Christmas with kids and grandkids in new home”.

Then if there’s some kind of bad news (see Joshua Allen) they’ll complain bitterly about media intrusion and plead for privacy.

I do think that the grandkids won’t thank their parents for all of this exposure. There’s a little bit of a hint of both the family and the newspapers trying to turn them into the Irish Kardashians.

The SW has been on the go for nearly 50 years.

I thought by now people would be wise to their MO.

I like like others can proudly say that I've never bought a copy of the rag.

Well then maybe you can explain why you are quoting them to have a go at Morah Ryan who I'm sure never did you any harm.

• Advertisement

I think you’re missing the point. The . Ryans post publicly and frequently on SM. They could keep those accounts private. But they choose not to. They can have no complaint then when there is a public lash back.

As the cost of living crisis impacts on many Irish families it’s only natural that the references to sumptuous Italian weddings and plush new homes in nice areas of the city will provoke a certain amount of resentment.

Plus, I don’t think it’s such a good idea to include young kids in the pics. That may not work out so well.

As was once remarked about Roger Clinton (Brother of Bill), he has a nose like a vacuum cleaner

Thanks for the heads up but I think I have a fairly good handle on the way these things work.

The SW are bottom feeders re hashing bits of SM posts to sell a few papers or get a few clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What I find amazing about Gerry Ryan is that his nepotism influence that got Lottie Ryan a job on radio is still alive and kicking even today. Surely his memory doesnt hold that much weight so many years after his death? Its kind of embarrasing to see the career of Lottie, its almost like they are trying to push her out by giving her crap slots either early or late.

When you see all the other changes in 2FM over the years and Lottie just stubbornly rots away whilst all around her move on, i wonder is she just too scared to try something different or is there someone influental keeping her there? Most young people want international gigs too but Lottie seems to be quite similar to Blathnaid Treacy in that she is curiously unambitious.

The Ryans inexplicably leave their posts public. Well it’s not inexplicable really. I’d have to assume that they do it to garner some publicity. And that works. But the consequences are inevitable. Tabloids choose the posts they like and make up stories to fit. People will make what they will of the stories and all the responses won’t be positive.

They don’t really need defending. They know what they’re doing.

Advertisement