Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen washer fluid coming under floor

• 27-12-2022 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hello. I have a leak that I think is coming from the tube that goes from the windscreen washer tank back to the rear windscreen wiper (it's a 93 Corolla liftback). The leaking water appears under the driver side floor and under the passenger side floor behind the driver. Anyone have any experience with this? Or options? I have a Haynes manual but as far as I can see no repair of this sort is mentioned. Thanks 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Seriously doubt that's your problem. No water movement in that tube unless you use the sprayer & even then you wouldn't have a noticable water quantity. I be looking at a rainwater leak or a blocked sill drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sagitt

I had this problem in Ford Galaxy 03, pipe to rear washer got disconnected and all water was going straight under floor. It needed to be connected back (just clip in) and never had this oroblem again. Drying wet floor carpet took coue of hours with hair dryer, thouhg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I would hazard to say that '93 car could potentially have multiple possible leak sources including (but not limited) firewall seals where wires, tubes and other components entering the cabin, windscreen seal, etc. Plastic and rubber looses its properties over this length of time, shrink, crack and/or disintegrate.

Furthermore, rusted through arches at rear could leak water spray of the tires and seep up inside, if not mistaken, interior is divided into two front-to-back "baths" by central console/"transmission tunnel" - inspect under back seat and wheel arches behind lining

As for washer tube - you would have low pressure or non at all. Fill washer tank with distinctive smell liquid - spray to rear only while parked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭doh777

Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely coming from the windscreen wiper fluid. I filled it up and after applying the pump for the rear screen the water starts coming up under the carpet and the windscreen water tank empties completely soon after. Was asking someone else and they suggested that the pipe going to the backline split during the cold weather, which is when it happened. I've been given an idea since on how to get at the problem. Thanks again for the replies.

And I used bicarbonate of soda in a box to try fix the damp with some success but the hairdryer is a good shout. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Dirty Nails

As you're sure it's washer fluid,the pipe is easy to get at. Lift the 2 sill finishers & pull the carpet back. The hose most likely will be along with the wiring loom. Best way to dry it is slide a full unopened newspaper under the carpet & leave it for a day or two. Remove it when soggy & put another one in.

Ok, Thanks for that. Regards repairing the pipe; some form of pipe seal or replace the whole thing if possible? I foresee problems trying to thread it from the washer fluid tank to the windscreen fluid outlet at the rear windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

You could replace whole pipe but it can be easily joined. Get new pipe in motor factors and try get joiners there too.

Advertisement