Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog for hunting and house

• 27-12-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving house soon and I'm in a postion to get a dog(first one in a few years) I will be looking at a hunting breed still not sure which breed yet, my mind is changing with the wind.

I will be hunting pheasants mainly with dog.

Just looking for recommendations on breeds which adapt well to been in the house and then brought out to the field and how you manage this situation, dirty dogs etc..

Thanks.

Post edited by Browning2010 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I don't hunt but I do walk the land alot and I have a black cocker spaniel and he is 7. he's still mental (in a good way) when I'm walking him but will equally sleep on the beat couch in the house all day. I also have a golden retriever (1 year old) equally at home in the wild or on the 2nd best couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭lmk123

A beagle, great house dog but you’d need a lot of space around the house because they have energy to burn, completely mad but a brilliant dog

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Sorry should have stated, I'll be looking at a breed suited to hunting pheasants

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

I do like cockers, lovely dog. Never hunted over one though so not sure what there like in that department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Be right back

There's someone looking to rehome a male springer spaniel in the Pets section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Springer all the way, quiet happy to lay on the sofa all day and will be the first at the door as soon as they know you are going hunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've had a labrador (13 years), a springer spaniel (9 years) and my last dog was a cocker spaniel (17 years)...who passed away two years ago.

All were brilliant hunters with great stamina, house dogs, pets, hunting companions and great with kids.

If I had to choose one for your situation I'd choose the cocker spaniel.

Their small size means they take up little space (on couch or in car) but they can get into all sorts of cover and keep up with any of the larger breeds,

They are great pheasant, woodcock & snipe dog but also love water so great for the duck.

I live in an estate in Dublin city suburbs - when returning from a hunt I would enter the garden by the side gate - there I would wash the dog down with garden hose.....she got used to the routine very quickly and knew grub was to follow this ritual.

Then I would put my shooting gear in the shed, which allowed her to shake and dry off in the garden.

She was then brought in to the house, fed and then just conked out for the rest of the evening.

As a plus - all are great watch dogs...creating an awful racket with anything unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Springers are great dogs. I have had 2 the first one lived to be 15. I have one now thats 6. He is a very strong dog. Great around the house and want to do nothing but hunt when off the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have labradors, they are house dogs and do everything I need, hunting/flushing/retrieving pheasents and snipe, retrieving on land or on water- ducks etc , even tracking shot deer.

Food orientated so very easy to train.

Use a dog cage in the car and shower with the hose at the back of the house.

Advertisement